Canadians advised to avoid cruising

bebe08

7 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Just saw live press conference Canadian government public health agency is recommending Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news

Health officials now say Canadians should avoid all cruise ship travel.

Yeah. That’s it for us for now. Travel medical insurance won’t cover now with an advisory in place. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, barb-ottawa said:

Yes, I have been on hold for 40 minutes now with my insurer. My concern is that because the government has issued an advisory against cruising, that insurers will not cover emergency medical expenses if one cruises anyway and gets sick.

UPDATE:  Insurer says that travel advisories related to coverage apply only to countries or regions, not by mode of transportation (so far) so that emergency medical coverage would apply even if we decide to cruise (should be boarding two weeks from today). Will still probably cancel to be on the safe side.

Good policy, I guess. Mine specifically says that if a Level three or four advisory is in effect, it’s a no.

1 hour ago, hlmmurphy said:

I really feel like this is an over reaction by our government, lets remember there's been 1 death in Canada. 

That is certainly meaningful. After all, as of February 21, there was only a single death in Italy. Today alone, 97, for a total now of 463.

On Feb 21, there were a total of 21 cases in Italy. Now, approaching 10,000.

That was a mere 17 days ago. It was spread, of course, by people travelling. 

Edited by mayleeman

52 minutes ago, larrywizzit said:

Yeah. That’s it for us for now. Travel medical insurance won’t cover now with an advisory in place. 

You might want to check with your insurance company. A government recommendation against cruising is very different to a geographic travel advisory. See posts #14, #17 and #18.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, larrywizzit said:

Good policy, I guess. Mine specifically says that if a Level three or four advisory is in effect, it’s a no.

As the announcement today was solely a recommendation and not a travel advisory, your coverage should still be intact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TorontoSailor said:

This is a non-partisan public health issue, not a political issue. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the sitting government. Just to be clear. 

It has everything to do with the sitting government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

As the announcement today was solely a recommendation and not a travel advisory, your coverage should still be intact.

No. It’s an official travel advisory. Where are you getting that it’s an unofficial recommendation? That’s bad information. 

Edited by larrywizzit

2 minutes ago, larrywizzit said:

No. It’s an official travel advisory. Where are you getting that it’s an unofficial recommendation? That’s bad information. 

Try this for starters:

Avoid all cruise ship travel

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

Recent cruise ship outbreaks of COVID-19 indicate that a large number of individuals onboard can become infected. While the majority of affected passengers may experience mild symptoms, there have been a significant number of cases requiring hospitalization and critical care, and some deaths have been reported.

As the situation evolves, many countries are implementing policies and restrictions in order to contain the outbreak. These restrictions may impact a cruise traveller's:

• itinerary
  • ability to disembark
  • access to health care

If an outbreak of COVID-19 occurs on your cruise ship:

you could be subject to quarantine procedures, on-board ship or in a foreign country

• the range of consular services available to those on cruise ships, in particular in situations of quarantine, may be significantly restricted by local authorities
  • upon return to Canada, you will be required to remain in mandatory isolation for 14 days at a location determined by the Chief Public Health Officer as per the terms of any applicable emergency orders

The decision on Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease in Canada Order (Persons Not on Government Flight) is effective from February 19 to April 30, 2020.

Canadians who choose to voyage on a cruise ship should also be aware that they may not be offered the opportunity to return to Canada on a government-organized repatriation flight, or could be responsible for the costs of repatriation travel.

Government of Canada COVID-19 information line: 1-833-784-4397.

The foregoing can be found on the official PHAC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

https://travel.gc.ca, the website responsible for publishing GOC travel advisories, has issued no advisory and has instead included a link to the above noted Public Health recommendation.

Perhaps you could provide us with a link to whatever GOC webpage that you believe has issued an advisory. 

OMGosh!  This too shall pass......we just do not know when!  However, in the meantime, please be prudent, avoid unnecessary travel, and take care.  Holiday travel includes airports, planes, and ships.  Let us shut this virus down and be compliant until this is under control.  I believe the worst is yet to come. The world will recover.....hopefully sooner rather than later.  May we all try to do our part.

Delayed...Happy and Safe Travels.

Pam 

I'd love to see the occupancy of my Alaska cruise from/to Vancouver on May 10.

Americans and Canadians are usually the main customer base for that route and now with both the U.S. and Canadian government calling for caution this might have an impact on the numbers. Hope they don't cancel the sailing.

17 hours ago, barb-ottawa said:

Yes, I have been on hold for 40 minutes now with my insurer. My concern is that because the government has issued an advisory against cruising, that insurers will not cover emergency medical expenses if one cruises anyway and gets sick.

UPDATE:  Insurer says that travel advisories related to coverage apply only to countries or regions, not by mode of transportation (so far) so that emergency medical coverage would apply even if we decide to cruise (should be boarding two weeks from today). Will still probably cancel to be on the safe side.

Thanks for this as very helpful. I was going to call my insurer to clarify this morning. We are 10 girlfriends that are due to be on March 28 5 night Infinity. This have been in plans for close to 2 years. Our worry is not getting the virus but quarantine. We are waiting until the weekend to decide go or no go. 

Further, my local paper has an article calling for people to avoid March break travel. Doctors and subject matter experts warning that small children in confined places (planes, Disney World) are at risk.

Since many eastern Canadians do Disney World during March break - this should be interesting.

No cruises planned for our household.

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Try this for starters:

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

Recent cruise ship outbreaks of COVID-19 indicate that a large number of individuals onboard can become infected. While the majority of affected passengers may experience mild symptoms, there have been a significant number of cases requiring hospitalization and critical care, and some deaths have been reported.

As the situation evolves, many countries are implementing policies and restrictions in order to contain the outbreak. These restrictions may impact a cruise traveller's:

• itinerary
  • ability to disembark
  • access to health care

you could be subject to quarantine procedures, on-board ship or in a foreign country

• the range of consular services available to those on cruise ships, in particular in situations of quarantine, may be significantly restricted by local authorities
  • upon return to Canada, you will be required to remain in mandatory isolation for 14 days at a location determined by the Chief Public Health Officer as per the terms of any applicable emergency orders

The decision on Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease in Canada Order (Persons Not on Government Flight) is effective from February 19 to April 30, 2020.

Canadians who choose to voyage on a cruise ship should also be aware that they may not be offered the opportunity to return to Canada on a government-organized repatriation flight, or could be responsible for the costs of repatriation travel.

The foregoing can be found on the official PHAC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

https://travel.gc.ca, the website responsible for publishing GOC travel advisories, has issued no advisory and has instead included a link to the above noted Public Health recommendation.

Perhaps you could provide us with a link to whatever GOC webpage that you believe has issued an advisory. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Note the URL Travel -Advisories

2 hours ago, larrywizzit said:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Note the URL Travel -Advisories

Uh, really??? 

The URL you are providing is the for same website that I provided in my post. Perhaps you didn't read it all the way to the bottom.  And if you had gone to the this URL and actually taken the time to read its contents, you would have found that there is no advisory on cruising. As I said previously, it only provides a link to the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) website and the latter's recommendation that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel.

43 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Uh, really??? 

The URL you are providing is the for same website that I provided in my post. Perhaps you didn't read it all the way to the bottom.  And if you had gone to the this URL and actually taken the time to read its contents, you would have found that there is no advisory on cruising. As I said previously, it only provides a link to the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) website and the latter's recommendation that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel.

I have to agree with you.  

• Like 1

I believe we all appreciate the well intentioned posts being made here however, I would recommend all to contact their individual insurance companies for specific interpretations as to applicable coverage. 

I will share that I "was" scheduled to depart this coming Sunday March 15, 2020 on Silhouette however, will now be cancelling this cruise after confirming with my insurance provider that the Travel Advisory issued by the GOC is deemed to meet the element required for Part II - Additional Exclusions & Limitations of coverage.  

As quoted in a previous post, 10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area. After this time, Medical/Trip Interruption/Trip Cancellation coverage is now excluded or limited. 

For my own personal mind and well being, I cannot fathom the thought of any trip outside Canada without insurance coverage. 

I hope like all that this matter ends quickly and my prayers go out to all who are currently having to deal with this...

Cheers

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Try this for starters:

• itinerary
  • ability to disembark
  • access to health care

We had a cruise scheduled for April 11/20 on Equinox. We purchased travel and medical insurance through CAA. Their insurer (Orion Insurance) has changed their policy, effective today to say, if there has been a travel warning issued by a Canadian Gov’t authority and you choose to ignore that warning, you will not be covered and, in essence, will be travelling uninsured. Orion expects other insurers to change their policy in short order if they have not already done so. We did not receive a formal notification of this change. It only came about when we cancelled our cruise this morning, and called CAA to cancel our policy.

For all of our Canadian cruisers...the Canadian travel warning covers all cruises to July 1/20. Please do not cruise uninformed. 

Please check with your insurer and then make the decision that is right for you.

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, medtech71 said:

It has everything to do with the sitting government.

Nonsense. It is the medical officer of health based on scientific evidence. If the government decides to restrict travel or close borders, that’s an entirely different story. But saying it’s the government is like saying the CDC warnings have been caused by Trump. 

47 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

We had a cruise scheduled for April 11/20 on Equinox. We purchased travel and medical insurance through CAA. Their insurer (Orion Insurance) has changed their policy, effective today to say, if there has been a travel warning issued by a Canadian Gov’t authority and you choose to ignore that warning, you will not be covered and, in essence, will be travelling uninsured. Orion expects other insurers to change their policy in short order if they have not already done so. We did not receive a formal notification of this change. It only came about when we cancelled our cruise this morning, and called CAA to cancel our policy.

For all of our Canadian cruisers...the Canadian travel warning covers all cruises to July 1/20. Please do not cruise uninformed. 

Please check with your insurer and then make the decision that is right for you.

Randy

A good reminder that things can change. The Orion website still reflects the standard geographic based advisory exclusion (see below), and it will be interesting to see how they will word the new exclusion based on a mode of transportation recommendation from PHAC.

I'm very surprised that they have made this change without informing their customers, and it will be interesting to see whether there will be legal action taken by a customer who is refused reimbursement when they purchased the insurance under one set of terms and conditions only to have them changed without notification. I suspect that the change by Orion will apply to new policies, not existing ones.

Q: I’m supposed to leave next week for my trip. Can I cancel my trip and be reimbursed for non-refundable travel expenses?

A: If Global Affairs Canada issues a travel advisory to "Avoid all travel" or "Avoid non-essential travel" to your destination, you may cancel your trip before departure and use your insurance for reimbursement of non-refundable, pre-paid travel arrangements provided your coverage was in place before the advisory was issued. Check your policy for “New and unexpected travel advisory from Global Affairs Canada” for more details.

• Like 1