NCLH Stock Price

Hrhbob

On 3/15/2023 at 4:58 PM, LloydJr said:

Why would you need "extra?"  I bought and hold 100 shares simply for the OBC.  I'm not looking to make money off of the stock and I'm not worried about the stock's daily price fluctuations.  It's just a means to reduce the final cost of every NCL cruise by $100.  When I get to old to cruise, I'll just dump it.

Cause I had thought it bottomed out and if it went back up, could almost make my initial money back...LOL...never will loose everything and was only playing with money I could spare so no biggy.  It will go back I am sure.  Maybe...

10 hours ago, Mikiejag said:

It will go back I am sure.  Maybe...

I wish I had your optimism. I only see bankruptcy.

Kicking the debt can down the road you can only do for so long.

Debt load is like have $50,000 owed on a charge card, having a minimum paying job and keep getting new cards to transfer the balance to,to buy time.

CCL is in even worse position.

6 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I wish I had your optimism. I only see bankruptcy.

Check the history of railroads and airlines.  There is a long history of transportation companies going bankrupt on a regular basis.  After 911, I think every US airline but SW went through bankruptcy.  Also, the Great Northern Railway was famously known back in the day as the only railroad that had never gone through bankruptcy.  Ultimately, the companies survive under either the same names/ownership or are absorbed into others.  

Thought I'd check in since I was out of this stock for a bit.  Bought at $11.45 and sold at $16. 45.  That was the promise I made to myself once it went up $5/share.  But, I knew I was going to sale NCL on a few cruises, too.  I was able to secure the OBC as a little added bonus.

Now, seeing it's down again, I may jump back in.

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I was able to secure the OBC as a little added bonus.

With only 100 shares and a lot of cruising, that OBC winds up being a lot more than a "little added bonus."  Sure, when it was $50 a share, the bonus was a lot less than when it's at $15.  I'm holding 100 shares only for the shareholder OBC.  It's been up, down and all around since I bought it last fall.  With that minor amount invested, it's kind of fun to watch. 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Check the history of railroads and airlines.  There is a long history of transportation companies going bankrupt on a regular basis.  After 911, I think every US airline but SW went through bankruptcy.  Also, the Great Northern Railway was famously known back in the day as the only railroad that had never gone through bankruptcy.  Ultimately, the companies survive under either the same names/ownership or are absorbed into others.  

The thing is, re: the history of railroads and airlines (especially), they've received massive bailouts of over 100 billion cumulatively.  The cruise lines, with their flagging, will never get such.  Further, railroads and airlines are deemed essential (railroads more so).  Cruise lines are, well, discretionary (the best word to use without getting the post tossed).

Ultimately, ships will sail, agreed.  However, they've got to stop the new ship order pre-pandemic binge and increasing of capacity.  Work off the debt operating with what they've got.

CCL is down for the count.  Sell off lines, liquidate to select secured creditors, etc.

NCLH is next on the 'plank' but is small enough to be taken after shareholders wiped and creditors take a haircut (buzzcut for sure).

RCL is only marginally ahead.

The new risk to the cruise lines, a bit farther out, is the derivative result of the banking crisis.  Yes, it is a crisis, intended, manufactured or behavior (risk) caused as it may be.  Why the US, currently, and via the FDIC won't cover "all deposits" is not a mystery.  Small rural and regional banks will lose significant wealth via deposits moved to 'systemically important banks' changing the entire economic fabric of rural and regional America.  It's a transfer of wealth.  Looking at the election maps in 2016 and 2020, and the small rural and regional bank deposit maps, it's a no-brainer.

Long term, a lot of our cruising demographics will be in a different economic reality that might not bode very well for the cruise industry.

😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The thing is, re: the history of railroads and airlines (especially), they've received massive bailouts of over 100 billion cumulatively. 

Airlines?  Sure.  Railroads?  Not so much.  The systemic pattern of RR bankruptcies extends back to the dawn of railroading.  As a parallel to your comments, one of the core problems with RRs was overcapacity with the introduction of the interstate highway system and, to a lesser extent, air travel.  I don't think the cruise lines face that type of challenge.  People with disposable income will want to cruise.  If they cut back on new ship capacity, it's likely that demand will drive up prices (and perhaps profits).  It's just classic supply and demand, and we've been in a drought of demand, first caused by government restrictions and extending into nervousness about Covid.  We seem to be roaring out of that now so, unlike the doomsdayers, I see the cruise lines ultimately recovering and prospering. 

I bought CCL and NCLH at their lowest prices plus one day, so it was a very good deal.  It is within my portfolio and the $100 OBC is a pure win, as it does not diminish my value at all.  So if I sail 6 times a year, which is average between the two lines, then no matter, within reason, what the stock does I’m ahead.  I think a lot of people fail to realize the true value in stock ownership IF you cruise often.  If you sail once a year, it may not be worth the risk for you, but as frequent. Raisers we will be drawing in $500 or so a year and more if we do longer cruises.

yeh, and where ya been hiding’ Chief?  Please tell us you were cruising and not avoiding all of us wonderful opinionated souls. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The new risk to the cruise lines, a bit farther out, is the derivative result of the banking crisis. 

You must not forget the often overlooked MSC.

They currently are selling cheap and making the others follow.  They have the cash to starve out the others. They have beautiful ships and are making a presence worldwide.

After the apocalypse, they will survive.

49 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

yeh, and where ya been hiding’ Chief?  Please tell us you were cruising and not avoiding all of us wonderful opinionated souls. 😉

Thanks!  It was actually neither.  Happy ending story that can never be told.  Well, maybe to @complawyerover a drink on a future cruise.  I might be able to hold him to lawyer-client privilege.  🤣

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks!  It was actually neither.  Happy ending story that can never be told.  Well, maybe to @complawyerover a drink on a future cruise.  I might be able to hold him to lawyer-client privilege.  🤣

22 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You must not forget the often overlooked MSC.

They currently are selling cheap and making the others follow.  They have the cash to starve out the others. They have beautiful ships and are making a presence worldwide.

After the apocalypse, they will survive.

Looking forward to sailing them if their plans for a dock in Galveston come to fruition.

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

James Del Rio is retiring....

https://www.tipranks.com/news/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-announces-ceo-retirement-and-succession-plan

Heading off to that great repositioning cruise on the seas.

that's not good. 

i interpret it as He knows he can't save NCL so he's getting his golden parachute now while still available.

like a rat jumping from a sinking ship.

Edited by fstuff1

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

....or, more likely....he's retirement age and doesn't want to work any more.

The CEO position is a power position that nobody leaves for normal W-2 employee human reasons like - "Spend more time with Family", "Retirement", "Just tired of working".   The mindset is completely different.

Del Rio is only 66.  

He's got something else lined up.  He is a CPA so maybe he wants to do taxes. 🙂

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

....or, more likely....he's retirement age and doesn't want to work any more.

I agree! He may have planned to retire in 2021 but held out until he felt things were a bit more stable. 

he did slide his son into President of Oceania last year 

Mind you, CEOs of Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean Group also retired in the past year as well. Interesting moves they made were CFO to CEO replacements of the companies - which makes sense to get them in better financial states in these chapters. 

Edited by Beezo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

The CEO position is a power position that nobody leaves for normal W-2 employee human reasons like - "Spend more time with Family", "Retirement", "Just tired of working".   The mindset is completely different.

Del Rio is only 66.  

He's got something else lined up.  He is a CPA so maybe he wants to do taxes. 🙂

If he does, and wants a change of pace, I hope he does find something else.  But, from experience, going from a full time gig to something much less stressful, working many fewer hours, is appealing.

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If he does, and wants a change of pace, I hope he does find something else.  But, from experience, going from a full time gig to something much less stressful, working many fewer hours, is appealing.

That's because you are a normal human - CEOs are built differently, they thrive on the power and feel worthless without it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1