For those Cruising before May 31, Cruising or Cancelling?

Dwang

For those Cruising before May 31, Cruising or Cancelling?   

260 members have voted

1. 1. For those traveling before May 31 with the new Carnival Cancellation Policy, What do you plan to do?

• Still Cruising!
    • Cancelling and Rebooking
    • Cancelling and not cruising again (forgoing the fee)
    • Waiting until before my cancellation period ends to decide

18 minutes ago, five. said:

We cruise Alaska in May out of Seattle and currently are not planning to cancel, because the re-booking is only through March, so Alaska cruisers are SOL. I don't understand why they put that limitation.

For just me and my wife, we wouldn't care and would cruise anywhere. But my in-laws are also going and will only cruise Alaska. If I could receive both credits and use them for us, I might would cancel both and pay them back for their portion. I might call once everything settles down and can reach easily enough. From what I understand the call volume has been insane last few days.

I agree on the date to rebook limitation.  It should 1 year from the date of the original booking, not from the cancellation date. 

• Like 2

trying to take a pulse on the decisions for people traveling with children. My 9 year old daughter and I have a cruise booked leaving on March 28th and I'm really conflicted. To be clear, I know there is limited risk for kids getting sick, it's the "what if" scenario when the cruise is supposed to end. This will be my first cruise as a single mom and then layer on all the conditions, I'm not sure what to do. It seems like a lot of couples are deciding to ride it out but what about kids/ families during the spring break week(s)??

We are booked May 21 out of Charleston. I wish Carnival would give us until the end of April to make a decision. I would hate to jump the gun March 31, and this be long gone by then...

We have 16 of us going, and it is a first cruise for 8 people...

Edited by Gamecock_Cruiser
  • Like 1

At first, I thought that this offer was generous:

• $100 per cabin for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150 per cabin for 5 day cruises
  • $200 per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises

Now I'm thinking it's not. Why? First, say you have a triple or quad, that's pocket change for each person. Second, what if we miss ports, or get on the ship one day late (Panorama did last week, which we are going on). Third, what if we drift at sea, or, get quarantined, lol!? The $200 seemed like a great offer at one time, but I'm not feeling it any longer. I think a fair amount would be $500 per cabin, for 7 days.

I happen to be on the Swine Flu Cruise, and that was NO fun! Royal gave us PEANUTS, which wasn't even enough to buy an umbrella, jackets, cold weather close, etc. (we were sent up North)! Having experienced that, I've come to the conclusion that $200 will barely pay for the essentials, AND, that's if there's only 2 in a cabin!

I'm waiting for the flamers!!!!

19 minutes ago, PVDMichigan said:

trying to take a pulse on the decisions for people traveling with children. My 9 year old daughter and I have a cruise booked leaving on March 28th and I'm really conflicted. To be clear, I know there is limited risk for kids getting sick, it's the "what if" scenario when the cruise is supposed to end. This will be my first cruise as a single mom and then layer on all the conditions, I'm not sure what to do. It seems like a lot of couples are deciding to ride it out but what about kids/ families during the spring break week(s)??

My wife and 8 year old and I are supposed to sail this Saturday out of Miami on the Sensation.  We are going back and forth about it.  But I believe today is the last dawe can cancel for a refund and FCC.  At this point I believe we will be sailing.

Matt& Aubry

3 minutes ago, MinnesotaCruiser423 said:

My wife and 8 year old and I are supposed to sail this Saturday out of Miami on the Sensation.  We are going back and forth about it.  But I believe today is the last dawe can cancel for a refund and FCC.  At this point I believe we will be sailing.

Matt& Aubry

Thanks, Matt - please keep us posted on your decision and the outcome!

I voted waiting until closer to canceling time. 

We moved our cruise from Christmas to May 30th as my grandson (who is going) was diagnosed with cancer after we booked.   His doctor recommended moving our cruise back to see how he handles the chemo.    Our cancel date is March 31st. . he goes back to the oncologist on the 24th.    If they are good with him going, we are going.   If not, we will be canceling.

I just canceled my cruise in May from NY to Bermuda. I'm middle aged and healthy but I have zero desire to be quarantined.  I think I'm done with cruises for the foreseeable future.  

I need a new hobby.

Wait and see, but likely cancel/re book.  While I'm not concerned with contracting it, it's more the other logistics that are driving our decision more and more towards canceling. 

Our school system just came up with a tentative, continually changing plan and I'm being told it's not a matter of "if" we close but "when".  I'm a year round staff member, and I may have to do a 14 day self-quarantine should we go on the cruise.  While I have plenty of sick time, it's a busy time of the year prior to graduation and it doesn't feel fair for me to do that to my co-workers.  We're already stressed as it is dealing with this thing.   

We are about 45 miles from New Rochelle, so watching the local news yesterday in the tri-state area is surreal and it's painted a grim picture of what to expect in the future.  I've heard a lot of people elsewhere saying that I shouldn't have to disclose my whereabouts should I choose to cruise.  I'm not sure that's the responsible approach to this....we're all in this together.  

We also have a son in college and right now his college's response is likely that he will be doing online classes, and likely be home at some point. 

So, while this was my 50th birthday gift and I'm heartbroken, it is what it is.  

I am, however,  beginning to wonder if I'm missing something...I saw kids during the swine flu puking in the halls as it ran rampant through our building and there wasn't a response remotely as dire as this.  I think is spreading much more rapidly than we all could've imagined.

We were set to sail on 3/21.  I don't feel like we would have been able to fully enjoy ourselves on the cruise; the thought that at any time just one person who is sick- not even with coronavirus- could cause the cruise to shut down, be quarantined, and be turned away from ports was literally stressing me out.  A great deal on going to Aruba fell into our laps so that is where we will be headed instead.

Our cruise is April 25 and as of now, we're going. We are both 71, in reasonably good health. I checked our cruise online yesterday and all decks are sold out except for deck 1 and there are only about 10 cabins left there. So it doesn't look like many people are canceling. Plus it's an Ultra cruise for us. Taking a risk, living on the edge! I'll just be sure to load lots of books on my Kindle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lovetocruise79 said:

I am getting a lot of comments from friends and co workers starting they are surprised I'm still going. Some even give me a funny, if not rude looks. 

Anyone else getting off responses?

Just tell them. You might get an extra two weeks FREE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 7:24 AM, Dwang said:

I am booked on a cruise in April, but with all the headlines, I am starting to get concerned - the combination of Covid and the potential to get stuck on onboard seems unappealing.  That said, the credit doesn't help that much because I would also take a flight cancellation fee ...  

With everything going on, are you planning to cruise or cancel and why? 

I understand that there are other forum topics on this, but I don't think any of them included a poll to make it easier to see what most people are doing

Our cruise is scheduled on the Breeze for May 2, after a week stay in Walt Disney World. We are still planning on going and will not cancel unless we get sick or if we  are told we can't go, the park closes or the airlines will not be flying.

I just canceled our may 16 Caribbean cruise yesetfar. I did this now for 2 reasons: one is because we are still within the 56 day+ category which is a cash refund of all but our deposit. The second reason was we simply had too many extenuating circumstances making it impossible to risk not returning home on the date scheduled. For us, the risks just outweighed pros (I cried for awhile yesterday bc of the disappointment). I think everyone is going to be different and you gotta do what’s best for YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

59 minutes ago, lovetocruise79 said:

I am getting a lot of comments from friends and co workers starting they are surprised I'm still going. Some even give me a funny, if not rude looks. 

Anyone else getting off responses?

Understatement.  I have stopped discussing my travel plans.  Also, political views, religious views, social media views.  Tired of defending EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

Soapbox done.  

• Like 2

We decided to cancel our March 21 cruise, but are likely going to keep our May 24 cruise in the hopes this has calmed down by then.  

Our big cruise is scheduled for early September out of Barcelona.  Would hate to lose that one.