Oceania out of Miami

MICHE99

Many years ago my husband and I cruised out of Miami. Getting out was fine but upon our return we had a three hour line to check in to our flight with a sick five year old in our arms. It was a nightmare and I swore we would never ever go through that airport again. We have been eyeing some Oceania Cruises but have rejected the ones to the Caribbean since they all leave from Miami. Has the airport situation gotten better. Thanks in advance for your help.

Fort Lauderdale airport only is 20 minutes further away.  We always fly into FLL because Delta has direct flights from Cincinnati to there but not to Miami airport.  (We disembark from Riviera after our wonderful 14-day Caribbean cruise tomorrow morning.)

21 minutes ago, MICHE99 said:

Many years ago my husband and I cruised out of Miami. Getting out was fine but upon our return we had a three hour line to check in to our flight with a sick five year old in our arms. It was a nightmare and I swore we would never ever go through that airport again. We have been eyeing some Oceania Cruises but have rejected the ones to the Caribbean since they all leave from Miami. Has the airport situation gotten better. Thanks in advance for your help.

We’ve flown out of Miami since back in 2013, and I agree it had its challenges. The best thing we ever did was to sign up for the Global Entry/TSA pre check card. It has made the security line a quick and easy process. This is something you may want to look at and consider. 

I've never really noticed it being any better or any worse than most of them. Always the most unpleasant part of a vacation, it's a necessary evil to endure to enjoy a vacation. 

Strongly concur with CintiPam's advice.  MIA (Miami Int'l Airport) is not your only option for cruises in/out of Miami.  Fort Lauderdale (FLL), just up the road, is much more "flyer friendly" and easy to get to from the Miami Cruise Terminal.  If you have your choice of airlines and flight itineraries, consider using FLL as an alternative to MIA.  You may also discover that your air fares in/out of FLL are also cheaper than MIA. Regards

Miami is still a zoo and worse.  Even arriving is a nightmare.  Our last cruise we waited 2 hours for our bags on returning home via plane.  FLL is better but a mini -zoo.  Want calm PBI is better more like Portland.

21 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Miami is still a zoo and worse.  Even arriving is a nightmare.  Our last cruise we waited 2 hours for our bags on returning home via plane.  FLL is better but a mini -zoo.  Want calm PBI is better more like Portland.

Yes, MIA is just like a third world country.    I agree for a little more time  PBI is a very good choice. 

48 minutes ago, alaskaca said:

We’ve flown out of Miami since back in 2013, and I agree it had its challenges. The best thing we ever did was to sign up for the Global Entry/TSA pre check card. It has made the security line a quick and easy process. This is something you may want to look at and consider. 

Interesting. I have Global Entry. I didn't realize that it would be of help coming back from the Caribbean. Good to know. Thanks.

Miami is a zoo. Too many ships. I prefer sailing in/out of San Juan. Unfortunately, Oceania does not embark in San Juan.  
starting a winter cruise from San Juan insures warm weather

starting in Miami is not always warm.

It would be great if Oceania had a cruise from San Juan.  Maybe another time.

10 minutes ago, MICHE99 said:

Interesting. I have Global Entry. I didn't realize that it would be of help coming back from the Caribbean. Good to know. Thanks.

Let me clarify, the Global Entry card wouldn’t be used. When we got the GE card, any airline ticket we purchased came with the TSA pre check designation, allowing us to use that security line. 

50 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

We must be incredibly lucky, as we have not experienced any of this with our MIA flights in the last 6-7 years. Nice to know there are close alternative airports for those that have. 

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Miami is a zoo. Too many ships. I prefer sailing in/out of San Juan. Unfortunately, Oceania does not embark in San Juan.  

I'm 100% with you. I've been cruising out of San Juan or St. Martin for years. I find it much easier and as you say more reliable weather. BUT........... I hear great things about Oceania. I returned February 22nd from a Celebrity cruise out of San Juan. It was lovely but I 'm looking for a smaller ship. My husband and I are fans of Windstar but this is a "girls" cruise and Windstar is a little too quiet. 

25 minutes ago, MICHE99 said:

GE is very helpful when returning to US from abroad but has no benefit at boarding the plane.

TSA is so common these days that at times the TSA line is as long or longer than the regular one (not referring to MIA specifically) but still a better choice (no shoes off, no iPad/laptop removal, etc).

Oceania has cruised out of San Juan in the past. I left out of there on the Insignia. 15 or 16, don't know if they still do or not. 

26 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Windstar is my favorite cruise line. We have sailed on Windstar many times. Caribbean is a great place to sail with Windstar. Windsurf out of St Martin or Barbados is very nice. In January, we did b2b on Star Legend out of San Juan. It was fabulous. It is very relaxed. No big shows or lots of activities.  The crew is outstanding. Food is excellent. Deck bbq is amazing. Cabins are all suites with huge closets and bathrooms. Sports platform is fun.  Beach parties are wonderful. Windstar makes you feel like you are an honored guest on a private yacht.
 Oceania is very good.  There are more food choices. Specialty restaurants are superb. Cabins on Marina and Riviera are large and comfortable. On R ships, cabins are nicely furnished, but small. Bathroom is tiny.  There is more entertainment.  Oceania is more like a big cruise ship shrunken. 
I sail on both lines and like them.

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Windstar is my favorite cruise line. We have sailed on Windstar many times. Caribbean is a great place to sail with Windstar. Windsurf out of St Martin or Barbados is very nice. In January, we did b2b on Star Legend out of San Juan. It was fabulous. It is very relaxed. No big shows or lots of activities.  The crew is outstanding. Food is excellent. Deck bbq is amazing. Cabins are all suites with huge closets and bathrooms. Sports platform is fun.  Beach parties are wonderful. Windstar makes you feel like you are an honored guest on a private yacht.
 Oceania is very good.  There are more food choices. Specialty restaurants are superb. Cabins on Marina and Riviera are large and comfortable. On R ships, cabins are nicely furnished, but small. Bathroom is tiny.  There is more entertainment.  Oceania is more like a big cruise ship shrunken. 

The deck BBQ and beach parties are incredible. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Just curious - What does this have to do with "Oceania out of Miami"?

4 hours ago, MICHE99 said:

best solution.....Business/First.   your 3 hours could be reduced to less than 30 min  and you could wait in a airline club.......   

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Windstar is fine if your 25-30   Not so much if your 65 and favor fine cuisine over beach parties and bbq Super activity and sports....most people in their 60+  are past that.      Different  markets for different people with different interests....   Most O  customers are O customers because of what O offers over others