Has anyone tried stopping their credit card payment?

luv2cruisemore

Our cruise was scheduled to leave Sydney next Friday and has now been cancelled by X. We canceled one week ago due to age and chronic health issues and will get a FCC for the cruise and a credit card refund for our flights, taxes and port fees.  Not knowing what future RCI has, I’d prefer to get a credit card refund, not a FCC. 

Has anyone had any luck calling their credit card company or getting their credit card travel benefit insurance to help? We used our Chase Preferred card which includes $10,000 for travel insurance. I believe we paid within 90 days.

You aren't going to have any luck with that. The card issuer isn't at fault and their merchant (the cruise line) isn't doing anything wrong that would necessitate the card issuer steeping in. Your only option is to see if Celebrity will allow you to reverse the FCC and take the refund.

Your card provided travel insurance also won't help...

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation

Change in plans or financial circumstances

A pre-existing condition

Traveling against the advice of a physician

A declared or undeclared war

Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered

Financial insolvency of the Cardholder’s travel agency, tour operator, or travel supplier

Edited by paulh84
  • Thanks 1

^^^^^^^ - this OR you can call Chase and let them tell you the same thing.

I venture to guess that you may not have read the T&C's from Chase when approved and/or not read them online at the website, to be sure of your coverage in this type of situation?

T & C's can be difficult to navigate at times, I know.

You also may want to take a gander at the insurance sub-forum as well.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I don't see much possible with the credit card co, but maybe you can file a dispute???  But many folks are in same situation.

Ins is a contract so you'd have to check with your company, in this case the Cred Card coverage.

The emerging issue will be if folks need med clearance  in the future and cannot obtain it due to chronic health issues, wiil X consider an actual refund????   Esp b/c the med letter was not an initial condition of booking the  cancelled cuise.   

I am sure there will be much discussion and debate..good luck.

We hope to be able to use our fcc and get a med letter if required.,,who knows...???

Edited by hcat

The only way I see where people could dispute the credit card charge: 1) If the cruise line cancels the sailing before you board and they are not giving you a full refund or 2) If a refund has been promised within a certain period of time and after waiting that time and following up with the cruise line they are giving you no answers as to when it will be processed. Reasonable expectation would be 30 days maximum, but I know that MSC has been telling some customers up to 60 days for refund.

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

I don't see much possible with the credit card co, but maybe you can file a dispute???  But many folks are in same situation.

Ins is a contract so you'd have to check with your company, in this case the Cred Card coverage.

The emerging issue will be if folks need med clearance  in the future and cannot obtain it due to chronic health issues, wiil X consider an actual refund????   Esp b/c the med letter was not an initial condition of booking the  cancelled cuise.   

I am sure there will be much discussion and debate..good luck.

We hope to be able to use our fcc and get a med letter if required.,,who knows...???

I think with the chronic thing they are going to have to issue refunds at a certain point if they keep extending and extending that policy as like you said it was not an initial condition of booking. Terms and conditions I believe do give them a loophole to keep extending that but if you start to get media or Attorneys General from various states involved then they may back down.

4 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I think with the chronic thing they are going to have to issue refunds at a certain point if they keep extending and extending that policy as like you said it was not an initial condition of booking. Terms and conditions I believe do give them a loophole to keep extending that but if you start to get media or Attorneys General from various states involved then they may back down.

I agree but guess it will take time to unfold

1 hour ago, luv2cruisemore said:

Our cruise was scheduled to leave Sydney next Friday and has now been cancelled by X. We canceled one week ago due to age and chronic health issues and will get a FCC for the cruise and a credit card refund for our flights, taxes and port fees.  Not knowing what future RCI has, I’d prefer to get a credit card refund, not a FCC. 

Has anyone had any luck calling their credit card company or getting their credit card travel benefit insurance to help? We used our Chase Preferred card which includes $10,000 for travel insurance. I believe we paid within 90 days.

Two questions - was you card issued in the USA?  Did you book directly or through a TA?

If through a TA in a week or so you might have them see what date Celebrity is using for refunds or watch here. I don't think anyone knows. Carnival used a date several days before the date they cancelled their cruises.

Same if booked direct except suggest calling at a weird time and waiting till April.

I would also certainly call your credit card issuer. Depending on where you live they might be able to assist.

Do agree you are in an unfortunate situation with thousands of others and sadly only patience right now in this unprecedented situation.

You canceled the cruise so you will need to live with Celebrity’s policy.   Either way you have gotten a FCC for the amount you paid for the sailing.   If you have health conditions  that will keep you from cruising in the future, perhaps you can pass the FCC to someone else.    

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Two questions - was you card issued in the USA?  Did you book directly or through a TA?

If through a TA in a week or so you might have them see what date Celebrity is using for refunds or watch here. I don't think anyone knows. Carnival used a date several days before the date they cancelled their cruises.

Same if booked direct except suggest calling at a weird time and waiting till April.

I would also certainly call your credit card issuer. Depending on where you live they might be able to assist.

Do agree you are in an unfortunate situation with thousands of others and sadly only patience right now in this unprecedented situation.

Credit card was issued in the US and booked cruise via TA (Costco).

Then the exclusions posted apply. Your TA unfortunately is a telemarketer and will not likely be able to help. I would certainly ask. Don't get your hopes up. Some 50000 others would like refunds too - including me!

Chase Sapphire Preferred policy under “What Losses Are Covered?” (7th item on page 31) 

states “You or Your Traveling Companion’s lodging accommodations at the destination of the Trip being made uninhabitable”.  Your cabin certainly can't be lived in if the cruise has been cancelled.

maybe this would help?

I have been working on receiving the rest of my refund - 1,004.00.  It has been over 40 days, and has nothing to do with Covid-19.  This is a huge conundrum for many.  I booked with Celebrity, and transfered to the big box company.  Someone inside Celebrity has been assisting me due to my refund being mismanaged by an employee.  This person mistakenly canceled my additional funds that were to be credited to my card, but there was no reason given for that to happen.  I am sure that this is happening to many others as well, but in a different capacity...human error!  I have insurance, but since I am owed this amount, less 200 for airfare, but cannot submit my claim until I show proof of all refunded money.  I have 90 days to file, and half that time is gone.  This has been explained to my insurance company, and I asked them what I should do.  Unfortunately, they have not responded to me. It always amazes me how one error contributes to so much time and effort for others...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You canceled the cruise so you will need to live with Celebrity’s policy.   Either way you have gotten a FCC for the amount you paid for the sailing.   If you have health conditions  that will keep you from cruising in the future, perhaps you can pass the FCC to someone else.    

I do not have my actual fcc certificate in hand.  But I expect it is non transferable and not assignable to another .

The offer also has a date certain expiration..use it or lose it .  

But if the newer " fit to cruise" rules render it unusable..that must be addressed.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, candydane said:

Chase Sapphire Preferred policy under “What Losses Are Covered?” (7th item on page 31) 

states “You or Your Traveling Companion’s lodging accommodations at the destination of the Trip being made uninhabitable”.  Your cabin certainly can't be lived in if the cruise has been cancelled.

The issue is that the OP technically doesn't have any lodging accommodations booked.  S/he voluntarily canceled a week ago, when the cruise was still set to sail.  So in that sense, what happens to the ship now is irrelevant because the OP isn't booked on it.  The OP agreed at that time to accept a FCC, good for any ship in the company at any future date when there is availability.

• Thanks 1

I have personal experience with this CC travel insurance.  If your doctor advises you not to travel due to an ACUTE illness that was not pre-existing ( you can also have another chronic illness,) and the doctor completes the Chase CC form you might be eligible for a refund through Chase. However, you will also need a letter from Celebrity stating any refunds AND/OR credits that you are eligible for, and won't be able to claim on that amount.

Edited by royalcruz
  • Thanks 1