Gratitude for the Crew of Norwegian Getaway

jpwcruise

My family and I came back home Sunday after sailing the Norwegian Getaway out of the Port of New Orleans on a 7 day to the Caribbean with stops at Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye, and Costa Maya. The crew, specifically the crew in The Haven, were spectacular, and the entertainment on the ship was also great. Read my entire review of our trip here. We definitely will be sailing with Norwegian again in the future. Our thoughts and prayers are with the crew at this time as the ship was sent back out into the Gulf of Mexico with crew only for the next 30 days in light of COVID-19.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jpwcruise said:

My family and I came back home Sunday after sailing the Norwegian Getaway out of the Port of New Orleans on a 7 day to the Caribbean with stops at Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye, and Costa Maya. The crew, specifically the crew in The Haven, were spectacular, and the entertainment on the ship was also great. Read my entire review of our trip here. We definitely will be sailing with Norwegian again in the future. Our thoughts and prayers are with the crew at this time as the ship was sent back out into the Gulf of Mexico with crew only for the next 30 days in light of COVID-19.

I agree.  Was on the same trip.  When they went to the enhanced sanitary procedures it was pretty much all hands on deck.  There were crew from all over the ship helping serve the buffet.  I even had the GM putting ketchup on my burger.  Our steward said they were going to do a complete cleaning of the ship.  I saw a few guests berating crew that were just trying to do their jobs and keep us safe.  

The ship is actually still sitting in NOLA and one of the crew posted that they will be there for at least two weeks but not allowed to get off.  This was posted to a facebook group for crew members of cruise ships.

Update from NCL Getaway.
We are docked in New Orleans, not allowed to go out for next two weeks minimum. Regular sign off crew went, and we are on board cleaning, and some departments working for other crew. Something like dry dock. So far, no sick ppl. Next to us is one of Carnival ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the same cruise, non Haven and still give crew great kudos. 

Glad to know crew is still healthy. 

I saw and spoke to both of the ship comedians at the airport. One said his contract ended and he chose not to extend. The other was still under contract but said NCL sent them away but he'd get paid as per his contract. I assume all of the talent was dismissed. The Back in the Day band was also at the airport but I didn't speak with them.

If this was the same crew we had on our Feb 1st sailing I couldn't agree more. Every single crew member we came across was so wonderful and friendly. So nice to see them interact with each other, smiles everywhere. I met some really great crew members on that crew and am hoping and praying for them and hope they are well and happy!!

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for sharing.  I'm very jealous as we were supposed to leave on the same cruise on the Getaway on March 15th.  I'm so glad you had a great cruise! 

Oh well, let's just hope the world goes back to normal sooner than later.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:45 PM, Nola26 said:

We were on the same cruise, non Haven and still give crew great kudos. 

Glad to know crew is still healthy. 

I saw and spoke to both of the ship comedians at the airport. One said his contract ended and he chose not to extend. The other was still under contract but said NCL sent them away but he'd get paid as per his contract. I assume all of the talent was dismissed. The Back in the Day band was also at the airport but I didn't speak with them.

Do you know the name of the comedians?  I was on the getaway form New Orleans, Feb 23 to March1.  We had a black comedian and I think his last name was Clark.