for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am probably making more out of this than it really is but I am always used to bringing a checked bag. Will think about it some more.

There's no reason to cut down on your packing as long as you are happy with it. Yours is really the only opinion that matters (as long as you're appropriately dressed, and I'm sure you are. 😊 )

I really like clothes and used to bring far too much, especially on cruises. I still like clothes -- but even more I enjoy not feeling like my travel days are one big "schlep" and that I'm spending far too much of my vacation time packing, unpacking, hanging, putting things away, etc. 

I've cut down, but I still usually check a bag. Not a huge one, just bigger than I can bring aboard a plane, about 24". But in that bag I was fine with cruising 28 days in Japan and I imagine I could probably have gone another month.

• Like 1

Hi Cynthia, thanks for your post🙂. My checked bag in no bigger than a 25inch. Not sure if it is 24 or 25.  I will probably check it this trip too. I think I was just trying to figure out if I could do 2 weeks with a carry on.......so many gals seem to be able to but you are right, I need to do what is best for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, thanks for your post🙂. My checked bag in no bigger than a 25inch. Not sure if it is 24 or 25.  I will probably check it this trip too. I think I was just trying to figure out if I could do 2 weeks with a carry on.......so many gals seem to be able to but you are right, I need to do what is best for me.

Lois -  going from a larger checked bag to one that is carryon-compliant is not really an easy task.  At least it wasn't for me.   Some of it has to do with what type of clothes you have, some with how many times you want to wear something different.  Do your clothes pack small is another,   Fortunately, my normal stuff is very easily packed and light.  I had problems last summer when people told me I really needed to take more dresses to wear in the heat instead of my usual shirt/shorts/pants.  

But, you do what you are comfy with - no need to change the packing.  You can keep the size, but maybe cut down the weight. 

• Like 1

Big thunderstorm yesterday afternoon.  I wasn't paying attention to outside at all.  All of a sudden, a HUGE, LOUD thunder hit and it sure seemed like it was right over the house - it shook the house!   We ended up with over 1.5" of rain in about an hour.  We are supposed to get some more today.  Good thing is that the temperature came down to the upper 70s.  Bad thing is our town's annual Arts Festival is this weekend, starting tomorrow evening.  We get tens of thousands of people up for this - hope the rain stays away this weekend!!!  I just stay home - it gets waaay too claustrophobic up there on Main Street with all those people and it gets totally stuffy.  Think of the Vatican Museums during the summer!!

OOTD:  an ancient pair of favorite Athleta running shorts (circa 2006) and a Tshirt.  Good thing the shorts have a drawstring waist - I could tie them tight enough to not fall off!!

• Like 1

Hi Melody, welcome back🙂 and thanks for sharing the photos with us. You look lovely and the bride looks beautiful too.😃.  Remind me again, was this seeing relatives you had not seen in many years?

Did you have a good trip? Tell us more! Was that pictures of dragons?

• Like 1

Melody - I enjoyed the pics from your trip.  Your wedding outfit looks wonderful.  Did you all "feed" the dragons some cash?  I heard that when you feed them, it brings good luck.

I finally got shingles shot #2 yesterday.  I kept spacing on it. I bought some of my "comfort" foods to nosh on just in case I start to feel lousy.  22 hours in, so far, so good (knock on wood).

OOTD: denim shorts and a Tshirt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, welcome back🙂 and thanks for sharing the photos with us. You look lovely and the bride looks beautiful too.😃.  Remind me again, was this seeing relatives you had not seen in many years?

Did you have a good trip? Tell us more! Was that pictures of dragons?

These relatives we’d seen in last 5 years (other than the 11 new little ones). The dance was the Lion dance. Bride is Vietnamese & groom is English/Italian heritage (if they have kids they’ll be stunning). We had a fabulous trip. Got up to Maine for one day that was the blueberry pie & blueberry ice cream the lobster & the truly fabulous pan seared haddock done in EVOO & butter, white wine & lemon

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Melody - I enjoyed the pics from your trip.  Your wedding outfit looks wonderful.  Did you all "feed" the dragons some cash?  I heard that when you feed them, it brings good luck.

I finally got shingles shot #2 yesterday.  I kept spacing on it. I bought some of my "comfort" foods to nosh on just in case I start to feel lousy.  22 hours in, so far, so good (knock on wood).

OOTD: denim shorts and a Tshirt.  

The lions got about $5K in tips.they should have tons of luck!!  300 people at the wedding

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, awhfy said:

The lions got about $5K in tips.they should have tons of luck!!  300 people at the wedding

WOW....300 people? That is a lot of people!!!!!  I think my memory is going.......are you related to the bride or groom? I can't recall if you told us. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW....300 people? That is a lot of people!!!!!  I think my memory is going.......are you related to the bride or groom? I can't recall if you told us. 

The groom is my first cousin’s only son

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Gorgeous photos and gorgeous family. You guys clean up well. 🤣

Glad you made it to Maine. I'm looking forward to some lobster and blueberries very soon!

The homemade blueberry pie &  homemade blueberry ice cream at Foxes at Nubble Lighthouse (York Beach ME) was truly spectacular 

• Like 1

Hello from Lucca,just catching up on all the posts.

What lovely wedding photos Melody.

Mum and I had a great cruise and meeting my husband with the car in Civitechia went all to plan,we drive to St Paul,de Vence tomorrow.

PS I have worn Nars tinted moisturiser for a few years,I wore the colour Gronenland but now wear the colour Alaska.I also use Nars foundation if I need more coverage and like the feel.

Sorry to read about your friends accident in Florence Kat,how awful for her

• Like 3

Hi girls, Melissa, hope you have a great trip!

After not buying anything new for many, many, many months  I decided to go out today and stopped at Chico's😀. Melody, they are having a big clearance sale. Not sure if it is on line or not but my store had lots of items on sale. I got 3 things. A black henley top, love it.....it is cotton and very soft. I got a purple v neck 3/4 inch sleeve top. This one has some modal in it and has a really good feel to it too. And found a really nice pair of black jeans and they are quite dressy---they have black embroidery up and down the right leg....from the ankle up to the shin area of the leg. I tried them on and they fit perfectly too😀. (not that I needed any more black pants) but it was nice buying some new ones. These pants will go well with almost any top and will work for dinner on the cruise.

• Like 4

Melissa - have a great time going around Italy.  I loved Lucca!  

Lois - I just looked up those jeans -they are pretty darn nice,  

I'm in a very bad mood today.  I think I slept wrong on my bad shoulder last night and I woke up with my hand in pain, like maybe I pinched a nerve.  Ugh.  Then, my Internet isn't working -my modem won't stay up.  Internet company says their side is OK.  No one in the neighborhood is having problems.  I don't want to have to go out and buy a modem.  Ugh Ugh.  I'm feeling off-feed, too.  It can't be the shingles shot because that was already a few days ago.  Ugh Ugh Ugh,   A post in another thread really bothered me and I really had to hold my tongue...   

I need to go back to bed and restart.

• Like 2

Kat, sorry you are feeling so bad. Hope you recover quickly.

I found a picture of the jeans on the Chico's website. They are called Soutache Palm Girlfriend Ankle Jeans.

It is kind of hard to see the embroidery unless you made the picture larger.

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/Girlfriend-Soutache-Palm-Ankle-Jeans/570345005?color=3145

For anyone else interested, click on the gal in the top photo and then you can enlarge it......you can see all the embroidery better that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Melissa - have a great time going around Italy.  I loved Lucca!  

Lois - I just looked up those jeans -they are pretty darn nice,  

I'm in a very bad mood today.  I think I slept wrong on my bad shoulder last night and I woke up with my hand in pain, like maybe I pinched a nerve.  Ugh.  Then, my Internet isn't working -my modem won't stay up.  Internet company says their side is OK.  No one in the neighborhood is having problems.  I don't want to have to go out and buy a modem.  Ugh Ugh.  I'm feeling off-feed, too.  It can't be the shingles shot because that was already a few days ago.  Ugh Ugh Ugh,   A post in another thread really bothered me and I really had to hold my tongue...   

I need to go back to bed and restart.

Sometimes, as the song says, there "ain't no cure for the summertime blues" (I particularly like the version by The Who).

I saw the post you're referring to. That poster has a tendency to be unthinkingly critical. Don't worry about it -- you've got a great personal style. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:48 PM, slidergirl said:

Lois - I'm trying to figure out if I can tell you how I pack in my carry on.  Part of it is the type of clothes and part of it is that I roll and put in packing cubes.  My Woolx and Smartwool is very light, easily packable and "unstink"able.  I can wear multiple times.  I take (usually) just one dress, my trusty Tshirt dress,  Also easily packable and unstinkable.  My shoes - I don't have a problem with wearing my sneakers out at night.  I'm a pretty casual traveler.  I'll keep thinking.

Remember my girlfriend that I was going to maybe take to Italy but then her family took her this year for her birthday?  Well, poor thing, just got a message from her that she broke her ankle & ligaments trying to ride a bike with sandals on on the cobblestones of Florence!!   She flew back home to have surgery.  She has a long road ahead, just like I did:  6 weeks non-weightbearing, another surgery to take out screws, months of getting back to full weightbearing and tons of rehab.  I told her at least she has a good story to go along with the break.  I'll probably take a trip down to So, CA to see her after she gets the screws out. Her one daughter is coming out for 2 weeks in August to help and her other daughter lives nearby.  I remember what it was like to be basically immobile and alone for months.  

Another hot, miserable day up here - 89. So OOTD:  gym shorts and a Tshirt. 

Oh, poor dear 

On 7/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I generally wear tinted moisturizer rather than foundation, I like the sheerer look. Unfortunately, ever since my beloved "old" formulation of Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer was discontinued, I've been on a long search for a replacement that was similar. I've tried many, many others in the intervening 3-4 years, but I think I've finally found a replacement I like. Thought I'd post it here since I know others have used and liked the LM one -- it was the "holy grail" for many.  (The new LM version is terrible by comparison.)

So my new go-to is Nars brand's Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30. It's sheer but not too sheer, is easy to apply, and seems to last fairly well on me. Many of the other brands I've tried have visibly settled in my pores -- this one is much better (though still not QUITE as good as the old LM in that regard).  

They do have a somewhat limited range of colors, but because it's a tinted moisturizer, it doesn't have to be an absolutely true match. I used to use the LM in the "Nude" shade, and in the Nars my closest shade is called Alaska -- which frightened me at first as it sounds deadly pale, but surprisingly it isn't. I'm what you'd call Fair but not extremely pale.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/nars-pure-radiant-tinted-moisturizer-broad-spectrum-spf-30/3272895?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll Results&color=254

I had the NARS Alaska on in the wedding pictures. It didn’t melt off!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, Melissa, hope you have a great trip!

After not buying anything new for many, many, many months  I decided to go out today and stopped at Chico's😀. Melody, they are having a big clearance sale. Not sure if it is on line or not but my store had lots of items on sale. I got 3 things. A black henley top, love it.....it is cotton and very soft. I got a purple v neck 3/4 inch sleeve top. This one has some modal in it and has a really good feel to it too. And found a really nice pair of black jeans and they are quite dressy---they have black embroidery up and down the right leg....from the ankle up to the shin area of the leg. I tried them on and they fit perfectly too😀. (not that I needed any more black pants) but it was nice buying some new ones. These pants will go well with almost any top and will work for dinner on the cruise.

I have the best luck with Chicos clothes. I spent WAY too much on their sale rack. Here’s 3 ponchos I just got. They’re chiffon & pack to tiny without wrinkling. My favorite eyelet jeans are with the yellow/blue poncho. My favored Costco (Kirkland Signature travel pants are with the olive poncho. Melody FYI all these ponchos are on sale. I have a s/m on in all. I normally wear a Chicos 2 in tops

IMG_5664.jpeg

IMG_6377.png

IMG_5924.jpeg

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

Hi Melody, those ponchos look so good on you. I have never been a poncho girl (that is just me). 

i got lucky with my 3 purchases too. Those black jeans normally run over 100.00.......I got them for 50.

And the 2 shirts were on sale as well.😀

• Like 1

Melody - you found your style!  You look very stylish in those ponchos.

The summertime blues definitely have a hold on me.   Sigh.   OH - we had a light snow overnight up in the high Uintas.  It happens off and on this time of year above 12,000 ft.  

Our neighborhood moose mama finally made an appearance this week.  She has 2 babies with her.  All 3 are pretty healthy-looking.  The neighborhood is posting to our FB site where they are so everyone can keep children and dogs on leash.  It's so nice to live with them!

My modem is still acting up...

• Like 4