for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

On 8/2/2023 at 2:05 PM, slidergirl said:

Big thunderstorm yesterday afternoon.  I wasn't paying attention to outside at all.  All of a sudden, a HUGE, LOUD thunder hit and it sure seemed like it was right over the house - it shook the house!   We ended up with over 1.5" of rain in about an hour.  We are supposed to get some more today.  Good thing is that the temperature came down to the upper 70s. 

We had a similar experience last Thursday night, except we were camping! The rain was so heavy that we couldn't hear each other talk inside the tent, and the thunder & lightning were basically simultaneous. Luckily, we had tarped the tent above & below, so we stayed completely dry - I've had enough camping where it ended up raining inside the tent to be grateful for that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, those ponchos look so good on you. I have never been a poncho girl (that is just me). 

i got lucky with my 3 purchases too. Those black jeans normally run over 100.00.......I got them for 50.

And the 2 shirts were on sale as well.😀

When Chicos has a sale, they have a Sale!!

I'm leaving this afternoon for Reykjavik. Right now I am not a happy camper as I just got an email cancelling the full day tour wI booked on Saturday to do the well-recommended "Golden Circle" highlights and visit a farm to see Icelandic ponies. I booked it because it was a small group and did not go to the Blue Lagoon or other thermal pool (I have zero interest in doing that).

Now the only options they can give me for Saturday are a tour that includes a visit to a thermal pool (NO!) or a large bus tour (NO!).  Desperately trying to find another option. Another complication is that it is apparently PRIDE weekend in Reykjavik so a number of roads are closed off on Saturday and the HOHO bus doesn't run...

😭😭

Cynthia - sucks about the tour.   The only thought I had was for you to look at the icelandair site - they do have some listings of excursions,  If you've never been, doing Golden Circle is a must (my Icelandic friend tells me) so pick one that is "least offensive" and do it!   Enjoy your trip!!!

Staying home today.  Pres. Biden will be in my little town (the only Democratic part of the state) this afternoon for a fundraiser.  Roads are closing.  Won't be able to get into town and won't be able to drive down to the Valley.  Would have to go an hour each way out of the way to get down there.  

A side note:  if you are still looking around for some casual summer shoes, go over to the Ola Kai website and take a look.  They are donating 100% of proceeds to Maui relief.  

• Like 1

Cynthia, wishing you safe and uneventful flights😀. Sorry about that tour cancellation but I am sure you will end up having a wonderful cruise anyway. Not sure how long you are going to be away........I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow🙂

Big BON VOYAGE to you!🙂

Kat, I saw that story about that guy in Utah.........we have so many people who are just NUTS these days! 😮

And sending all my best wishes to the folks in Hawaii.......so far 36 dead☹️.  The videos look like something out of a movie---except this is for real..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm leaving this afternoon for Reykjavik. Right now I am not a happy camper as I just got an email cancelling the full day tour wI booked on Saturday to do the well-recommended "Golden Circle" highlights and visit a farm to see Icelandic ponies. I booked it because it was a small group and did not go to the Blue Lagoon or other thermal pool (I have zero interest in doing that).

Now the only options they can give me for Saturday are a tour that includes a visit to a thermal pool (NO!) or a large bus tour (NO!).  Desperately trying to find another option. Another complication is that it is apparently PRIDE weekend in Reykjavik so a number of roads are closed off on Saturday and the HOHO bus doesn't run...

😭😭

I’m so sorry that the things you looked most forward to were cancelled 😢

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - sucks about the tour.   The only thought I had was for you to look at the icelandair site - they do have some listings of excursions,  If you've never been, doing Golden Circle is a must (my Icelandic friend tells me) so pick one that is "least offensive" and do it!   Enjoy your trip!!!

Staying home today.  Pres. Biden will be in my little town (the only Democratic part of the state) this afternoon for a fundraiser.  Roads are closing.  Won't be able to get into town and won't be able to drive down to the Valley.  Would have to go an hour each way out of the way to get down there.  

A side note:  if you are still looking around for some casual summer shoes, go over to the Ola Kai website and take a look.  They are donating 100% of proceeds to Maui relief.  

I bought a pair of Ola Kai’s on the website this afternoon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Cynthia, wishing you safe and uneventful flights😀. Sorry about that tour cancellation but I am sure you will end up having a wonderful cruise anyway. Not sure how long you are going to be away........I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow🙂

Big BON VOYAGE to you!🙂

Kat, I saw that story about that guy in Utah.........we have so many people who are just NUTS these days! 😮

And sending all my best wishes to the folks in Hawaii.......so far 36 dead☹️.  The videos look like something out of a movie---except this is for real..

We had evacuations on Maui in October 2019 with wildfires. We were on a cruise (Celebrity Eclipse) that was in Maui 2 days. Over 200-250 passengers were on the island on tours & in rental cars when the fires blew down the hills & closed the roads. Our captain (Capt Leo) moved the ship out closer to Road to Hana area & sent all the tenders in to evacuate passengers. It was a very long night. People in rental cars abandoned the cars & ran for cover, those on tours were taken by bus to where the tenders could get in .  No one on the ship was injured. This is so much worse 

Just heard today from an old work friend who works for the Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui.  He and his wife live in Kihei and all stayed good from the fire around Kihei.   PWF lost their building on Front St. in Lahaina and one of their boats.  They were able to locate all their employees but many lost everything in the fire.  They set up a fund for them and hopefully will get what they need to get some of their ohana back on their feet.  It's all so da*n tragic.  

Had my ophthalmologist visit this morning.  Going back on Valtrex and Prednisone drops for a month to get rid of some irritation I've been having lately.  Some little cysts were found, but the same meds should help them disappear.  At least the vision didn't change enough to need glasses again.  Go back in a month for a recheck.  

OOTD:  denim shorts and a Free People big henley shirt.  Wore the Ola Kai I bought to wear last summer in Europe - didn't realize how dirty white they are now.  Good thing I bought another pair (not white) last night.

• Like 1

I was able to book a tour of the Snaefelles peninsula for today instead of Golden Circle. It’s a small group (which I wanted) but longer day. More scenic but less history which for me isn’t ideal. Oh well I’m sure I’ll get some nice pics.

I plan to eat an Icelandic hot dog tonight. Call out to Anthony Bourdain and Bill Clinton, lol. Reykjavik center is very cute.

• Like 3

Hello from Rome,I think it was Cynthia who recommended the Albergo del Senato hotel,we are here and it’s great.We have a view over the Pantheon and a little terrace,we are going to dinner next door tonight,

I am glad you were able to book another tour Cynthia ,although not the one you wanted

• Like 2

Yep, it is Cynthia who recommends that hotel.  It is indeed in a perfect location.  

Lois - we do have more than our share of whack-a-doodles here in UT.  Go outside of Salt Lake City proper and my town (Park City) and they are everywhere.  You have to be careful of what you have on your car and what you wear sometimes out in the boonies..

I was on a plane past the "turnaround" point on my way to the Big Island when the big earthquake hit in 2006.  Took us an extra day but we got to the Hapuna Beach hotel, up near where earthquake hit.  the hotel took in guests from the Mauna Kea and Fairmont in as many rooms as they could.  We could see cracks in some of the facade, but nothing major.  Driving to the hotel from the airport was interesting - every once in awhile there would be a piece of broken pavement or small landslide.  There were some good aftershocks the next few days, but I was used to them from living in Southern CA for awhile.   I just can't imagine a firestorm, though.  That terror plus knowing that everything is gone and you have to figure out how to start from absolute nothing.  

OOTD:  old Athleta shorts and an Athleta Tshirt.  Easy peasy.

• Like 2

First real hike since the toe amputation. Had fun seeing Rita the Rock Collecting Troll up at 10,000ft. It was a delightful 55 degrees & my Chicos Zenergy SPF50 long sleeved tshirt felt great. It was a lively day

IMG_9759.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

IMG_7298.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, awhfy said:

First real hike since the toe amputation. Had fun seeing Rita the Rock Collecting Troll up at 10,000ft. It was a delightful 55 degrees & my Chicos Zenergy SPF50 long sleeved tshirt felt great. It was a lively day

IMG_9759.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

IMG_7298.jpeg

Outside of Cripple Creek, right?  Someplace I want to go to.

Congrats on the hike!  A beautiful day and nicely cool up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Outside of Cripple Creek, right?  Someplace I want to go to.

Congrats on the hike!  A beautiful day and nicely cool up there.

Yup, Town just to the east of Cripple Creek

• Like 1

@awhfyI looked up the troll...what a FUN thing!

I'm continuing with my own local touring on the weekends. I just bought a 2-hour tour for the Cape Canaveral lighthouse this weekend! They seem to only offer the shorter weekend tour every other month...the longer and more expensive tour is during the week...I'm really just interested in the lighthouse at this point. I can't imagine you haven't seen it yourself Melody...did you work at Cape Canaveral or Patrick? You know they are Space Force Bases now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I'm continuing with my own local touring on the weekends. I just bought a 2-hour tour for the Cape Canaveral lighthouse this weekend! They seem to only offer the shorter weekend tour every other month...the longer and more expensive tour is during the week...I'm really just interested in the lighthouse at this point. I can't imagine you haven't seen it yourself Melody...did you work at Cape Canaveral or Patrick? You know they are Space Force Bases now?

I like doing tours of local things!   I have some of my local things on my list to get done.

Have you done a visit down to the Melbourne Zoo?  I heard it's actually a fun zoo with active things, like kayaking through places and has a good restaurant.

• Like 1

Just now, slidergirl said:

I like doing tours of local things!   I have some of my local things on my list to get done.

Have you done a visit down to the Melbourne Zoo?  I heard it's actually a fun zoo with active things, like kayaking through places and has a good restaurant.

I have not done a zoo since we lived in Wichita. The Sedgwick County Zoo was amazing and when DS was in his second year (around 18 months)…we were members of the zoo and literally went 3-4X a week. Kayaking at a zoo could be really interesting…I’m going to look that up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Anita,  worked at Kennedy Space Center in protocol; Cape Canaveral for Pan Am & Patrick AFB in industrial security. I covered them all. The lighthouse is a great tour. Melody

On 8/15/2023 at 2:30 PM, slidergirl said:

I looked up the zoo and it's kind of disappointing to read about the major renovation that is underway to install a new and improved lion exhibit and otherwise renovate and improve the whole Africa area...which is where the guided kayak tours were!! So that's shut down for now though you can still kayak on your own through their wetlands exhibit. 😞 That's not that appealing to me because I can do that on my own with my own kayak!

I'm excited for the lighthouse. I've been wanting to go ever since reading about being able to go during an historical building Christmas decoration tour...many buildings in Brevard County are all decked out to the max and you can go around and tour them...the lighthouse is one of the included buildings there...so I researched how else to see the lighthouse...and now, FINALLY, I'm getting to go...HOPEFULLY...they say they reserve the right to cancel if there are fewer than 4 signed up and so far, looks like we're the only 2 in our chosen time slot. We'll see. I was hoping that at least one other couple would join...but maybe not any more so we could have a smaller tour.

• Like 2