for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Lois - sometimes clothes at REI are hit-miss for me. too.  Like this time, I couldn't find anything I wanted even with my $70 dividend in my hand.  I went for some needed/wanted hard goods, instead.  Last year, it was clothes - some long sleeve SPF shirts and a rain shell and a vest.  

Melody - I forgot it was a land trip.  Are you staying at Hale Koa?  Another thing I recommend is going to the Kapiolani Community College Farmers Market on Saturday morning.  Some goodies to pick up and some good nibbles.  I miss all that stuff plus ABC Store sushi.  Oh, and the poke selection at the KTA market on the Big Island 😉

Speaking of Hawaii:  a post jumped up on my FB post with cheap air from SLC to HNL.  I sniffed around and saw I had enough points for it.  It kind of piqued my hamster wheel.  But I have to save up for next year and some adventure.

OOTD:  It's not a warm day, just up to 50.  So another pair of leggings and a Tshirt...

Janet, have a question for you about the ship. Did you find the public spaces cold? (I should say uncomfortably cold)

Just curious really. I always bring a warm up jacket with me and wondering if I am going to need it inside the ship.

1 hour ago, WELDON said:

Lois, I'm sure you will enjoy Eclipse. I hope you will have sunnier weather.  All in all, everything worked out fine.

Eclipse is one of our favorite ships

We went to REI Saturday and got trekking poles for the hubby. We're starting to hike for Yellowstone in October (brrr) and he needed some. I still need a day pack, water bladder, and new boots (mine are at least 15 years old). Last week, we did an easy 1.3 mile trail twice. Today, we bumped up to a moderate 2.8 mile trail that didn't feel as challenging, but my calves are telling me about it. We want to build up to about 10 or so miles by October. We're going to local parks twice a week now, and are planning a couple of fall trips to the NC mountains before then.

• Like 1

Hi Lois,

Yes, I found the theater chilly. The other place that is always cold is Celebrity Central.  I always take a jacket to these venues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

We went to REI Saturday and got trekking poles for the hubby. We're starting to hike for Yellowstone in October (brrr) and he needed some. I still need a day pack, water bladder, and new boots (mine are at least 15 years old). Last week, we did an easy 1.3 mile trail twice. Today, we bumped up to a moderate 2.8 mile trail that didn't feel as challenging, but my calves are telling me about it. We want to build up to about 10 or so miles by October. We're going to local parks twice a week now, and are planning a couple of fall trips to the NC mountains before then.

That will be a great trip, Christy!  We drove to Yellowstone from Indiana  with our three sons back in 1990.  No hotels, just did primitive camping for two weeks and hiked all over the park.  One of our best trips ever! Yellowstone is beautiful!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WELDON said:

Hi Lois,

Yes, I found the theater chilly. The other place that is always cold is Celebrity Central.  I always take a jacket to these venues.

Good morning......thanks for the reply! I will definitely bring my warm up jacket and for evenings, I have a black cardigan that goes with everything😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

That will be a great trip, Christy!  We drove to Yellowstone from Indiana  with our three sons back in 1990.  No hotels, just did primitive camping for two weeks and hiked all over the park.  One of our best trips ever! Yellowstone is beautiful!

Sherri🙂

We went when I was a kid. I asked Mom for pictures, and the outfit I'm wearing in a couple was from Christmas '72. We apparently went in '73. *However,* we drove from southern coastal GA, to St. Louis to visit relatives, then to the Badlands/Mt. Rushmore/Yellowstone, camping all the way.  I. Hate. Camping. We'll have a week (unless I look at the vacation book and can get more time and line up the house/petsitter).Resized_20240514_084453.thumb.jpeg.7d48d7a9f13552e0a3a43701e75b69b6.jpeg

• Like 1

Great picture!  Your dad’s outfit made me laugh, I’m pretty sure my dad had a similar pair of pants!  Which girl is you?  I’m thinking the one in red shorts?

We did a lot of camping when our boys were younger as it was the only way we could afford to travel.  We did primitive camping, tents, sleeping bags and no electricity.

I don’t camp now.🤣

Sherri🙂

Hi girls😃.....we camped when I was little too........sometimes my folks rented a trailer and we would go to a campsite and other times, I went away to "sleep away camp". It is a classic photo......my Mom would have made my dad wear a different shirt LOL..........stripes and checks?

• Like 1

First time in Yellowstone in 1959. I was 8. Caught my first fish & won the tourney. I guess it was good sized!  Don’t know what happened to pictures…too many moves. I do not camp since I left Girl Scouts!  Melody 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

You're going to have to pack for layers for that Yellowstone trip.   Here in UT we were cold for Halloween but the weeks before it was still mild enough off/on to wear shorts and long sleeve Ts.   You didn't see a pack or bladder worth buying?   For boots, I'll recommend Merrell Moab or Keen Targhee to try first.  

Do you have campground reservations yet?  Hopefully it won't be bad then.  I've tried to get in Grand Teton for Fall in the past and couldn't get them.  

OOTD:  black Lions of Paris hoodie and capri leggings.  I had to go out this morning for my coffee and croissant since I ran out of half/half yesterday and I can't do coffee without it.   It's windy and about 50 degrees, so it was just right.  

• Like 1

I grew up a Girl Scout through High School and was a summer camp counselor my sophomore year in college at my Girl Scout camp.  I did weeklong backpack trips in the Sierras.  I still camp.  I never grew out of it.  I have my tent, stove, sleeping bag, lounge chair and some other things to make it a nice experience.  It's a cheap vacation and I can do a long planned one or a spur of the moment weekend. 

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Great picture!  Your dad’s outfit made me laugh, I’m pretty sure my dad had a similar pair of pants!  Which girl is you?  I’m thinking the one in red shorts? 

I'm the redhead on the right. And Mom laughed about Dad's outfit when she sent me the picture.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

You're going to have to pack for layers for that Yellowstone trip.   Here in UT we were cold for Halloween but the weeks before it was still mild enough off/on to wear shorts and long sleeve Ts.   You didn't see a pack or bladder worth buying?   For boots, I'll recommend Merrell Moab or Keen Targhee to try first.  

Do you have campground reservations yet?  Hopefully it won't be bad then.  I've tried to get in Grand Teton for Fall in the past and couldn't get them.   

I was hoping you'd speak up since I know you're near SLC. We're flying in (since we can go non-stop) and renting a car. I understand it's a five hour drive.

We are planning to layer up. I have a North Face 3-in-one jacket that I think will work. I also have two pars of Athleta Ranier tights. They keep me warm in the winter-cold rinks. Do you think they'll work? I have a pair of Keen boots, but they are OLD and starting to fall apart. I think I'll superglue them for now, and get a new pair in July (we are buying things in phases so we don't break the bank at one time). I have several Athleta performance tops that will fit me again after I lose another 20 pounds. I have a wide-brimmed hat and will probably get a warmer one before we go.

I ordered my day pack today-an Osprey Daylite Plus. Hubby is planning to be the pack mule and carry the bulk of the supplies so I can carry my camera supplies. He's working on building up strength and is loving this excuse to get in shape after his hip replacement.

What I still need:

new boots/wool socks.

water bladder,

trekking poles

long sleeve wool shirt(s), and

?bear spray? (rent).

I have a small folding knife and DH has a bigger knife (that he'll check). We also both qualify for lifetime NPS passes and will get those too. What else do we need?

PS: Love the shirt!

PPS: Recorded the recommended boots so I can look at them when I'm ready to buy some.

Edited by PurpleHays

Posted (edited)

For Yellowstone the 3-1 should work well. Smartwool socks are my favorite. I second Kats boot choices. I have the Merrill Moab’s & love them. Lighter than Keens. Warm hat & an earband, warm gloves with liners, smartwool or merino wool quarter zip shirt. the tights should work well. Costco had trekking poles & camelbacks today at very good prices

FYI we had 11” of snow on Halloween last year.  Melody 

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I grew up a Girl Scout through High School and was a summer camp counselor my sophomore year in college at my Girl Scout camp.  I did weeklong backpack trips in the Sierras.  I still camp.  I never grew out of it.  I have my tent, stove, sleeping bag, lounge chair and some other things to make it a nice experience.  It's a cheap vacation and I can do a long planned one or a spur of the moment weekend. 

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

I was a Gold Award. Only thing I liked about camping was the cooking over the fire

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

For Yellowstone the 3-1 should work well. Smartwool socks are my favorite. I second Kats boot choices. I have the Merrill Moab’s & love them. Lighter than Keens. Warm hat & an earband, warm gloves with liners, smartwool or merino wool quarter zip shirt. the tights should work well. Costco had trekking poles & camelbacks today at very good prices

FYI we had 11” of snow on Halloween last year.  Melody 

Gloves! I didn't even think about that.

Hi girls, well, I am all packed!.......finished up earlier today. Tomorrow I have 2 medical appts......1) blood work for an appt I have scheduled for when I get back from my cruise. And 2) on Wednesday I had an appt with the Urology people (I had an Ultrasound of my kidneys) well, tomorrow I go see that Dr about the results. He is the Doc who got my stones out. 

Oh, I am bringing  my usual😃......1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I've added my comments in-line in blue:

I'm the redhead on the right. And Mom laughed about Dad's outfit when she sent me the picture.

I was hoping you'd speak up since I know you're near SLC. We're flying in (since we can go non-stop) and renting a car. I understand it's a five hour drive.

It's 5-6 hours, depending on where you are going in the Park and which route you go.  From my house to Jackson, WY, it's about 4.5-5 hours.  It's another 2 hours through Grand Teton NP to Old Faithful.  If you take I-15 up to Yellowstone, it's 6 hours up to Old Faithful.  Add another 30 minutes from SLC.  I will say that the drive up US 89 is extremely scenic as opposed to I-15.  It's the route I always take going up that direction.  Look it up on Google Maps to see the times I got. 

We are planning to layer up. I have a North Face 3-in-one jacket that I think will work. I also have two pars of Athleta Ranier tights. They keep me warm in the winter-cold rinks. Do you think they'll work? I have a pair of Keen boots, but they are OLD and starting to fall apart. I think I'll superglue them for now, and get a new pair in July (we are buying things in phases so we don't break the bank at one time). I have several Athleta performance tops that will fit me again after I lose another 20 pounds. I have a wide-brimmed hat and will probably get a warmer one before we go.

The Raniers should do well up there.  Do you have a pair of rainpants to put over in case you get rain?

21 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

The Osprey Daylite is an excellent choice.  I've had one for years and years. 

What I still need:

new boots/wool socks.

water bladder,

trekking poles - why not buy the ones on sale at REI? 

long sleeve wool shirt(s), and

?bear spray? (rent). - Honestly, I've never carried bear spray.  I just attach a bear bell to my pack.  Don't know if they work, but I've used one since I went backpacking in the Sierras in the 70s.  Only one bear - he was napping up against our tent on our honeymoon in Devil's Postpile NM in the Sierras. 

I have a small folding knife and DH has a bigger knife (that he'll check). We also both qualify for lifetime NPS passes and will get those too. What else do we need?

Those lifetime passes are soooo good!!!  If I travel in the US, I put it in my wallet.  Never know when I'm going to find an area where it is honored.    As for other things - if you are backpacking and not just camping, consider a bear canister for your food.  The bears up there are known for breaking into cars when they smell food, and ice chests are no match for them unless it is a ROVR or YETI with their bear-proof locks.  The campgrounds have bear lockers at each site for your food.   Take a bandana with you - it's my camping/traveling go-to.  You can use it for so many things!!    Also, take your flashlight/headlamp.    That's all I can think of right now.

PS: Love the shirt!

PPS: Recorded the recommended boots so I can look at them when I'm ready to buy some.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, well, I am all packed!.......finished up earlier today. Tomorrow I have 2 medical appts......1) blood work for an appt I have scheduled for when I get back from my cruise. And 2) on Wednesday I had an appt with the Urology people (I had an Ultrasound of my kidneys) well, tomorrow I go see that Dr about the results. He is the Doc who got my stones out. 

Oh, I am bringing  my usual😃......1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

Hi Lois -- hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise!!

Sorry I've been so absent lately, it's been a heck of a week. Found out today that I need a dental implant PLUS a root canal and a crown. 😭

• Like 1

The camping sounds fun we never camped when  was young.Would love yto go to Yellowstone oneday.

Lois you sound organised ,we leave tomorrow for our month in Spain ,ending with our first Azamara cruise in South Hampton when Cynthia gets on !

I am packing and will now go and re look as I have a lot of clothes!

I am fighting off a head cold which is annoying ,at least its not covid 

• Like 2

Wow Cynthia three procedures !

You must be in pain with all that going on in your mouth.

Change of subject any Barcelona restaurant recommendations ?

I am not sure if we need to book or just turn up at places

Hi Melissa, hope you have a great trip and that your cold gets better quickly.

Cynthia, OMG.....Wishing you all the best

and hope you are not in too much pain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Lois -- hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise!!

Sorry I've been so absent lately, it's been a heck of a week. Found out today that I need a dental implant PLUS a root canal and a crown. 😭

Bummer!