for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Sherri, happens every time.......we are the ones who have to do it.😧......when I spoke to the one Dr's office (the one I was hoping for---much closer to where I live).....well, when I spoke to them on the phone, the gal was very pleasant but she is the one who told me to call my insurance company to make sure they were on my plan........I said, "Can't you tell me that"?? So that was a no.....she said the patient needs to do that........so I called and the CSR was very nice there too (got lucky I guess) but he put me on hold for a long time......finally came back and apologized for the lengthy hold time......and said he could not see them showing up on my plan........when I tried calling my GYN back they had closed for the day as they only work 1/2 day on Fridays!😲

Yup, I have a good friend who was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer.  Her oncologist recommended a double mastectomy as the type she had was genetic with a high possibility of recurrence.  Her insurance company said no, surgery was too “experimental”.  She ended up doing a lot of research, got a second opinion, filed tons of paperwork and finally got it approved.   That was back around 2001 and she has been cancer free ever since.  She had to fight very hard to get what is standard procedure now during a time when she really feel didn’t up to it.  Not right!

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Like 2

I'll wait until Monday and then hash it out with the clinic and my PCP.   At least the bone scan is on Medicare!  

Cynthia - I wish I knew what I was like to have actual movers!  It's always been Kat Movers or Kat and Friends Movers ☺️  Oh, I take that back:  when we moved from Los Angeles to Utah,  the company we were working for paid for the move.  

I got into work 2 hours late, but they knew I would be late.  My French co-worker left to the other building at 2pm, my now-ex little boss left for good at 2:30pm.  All by myself for 4.5 hours.  I had another long-term guest say "do you ever leave" when he saw me today.  Cute.  

The house was warming up when I left, up to 58 from 43.  I keep it at 66 (my house circulates heat and cold really well) so it should be toasty when I get home.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2

We’ll, our garage door decided to blow its spring & cables. Heard this god awful bang (thought it was an accident out front). Luckily the kids were here & helped hold up the garage door while Les pulled the car out. Being frugal we opted not to have the emergency crew come ($200 an hour with a 2hour minimum plus parts). I’ll call in the morning. That’s only a $69 service call & parts…. Melody

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

We’ll, our garage door decided to blow its spring & cables. Heard this god awful bang (thought it was an accident out front). Luckily the kids were here & helped hold up the garage door while Les pulled the car out. Being frugal we opted not to have the emergency crew come ($200 an hour with a 2hour minimum plus parts). I’ll call in the morning. That’s only a $69 service call & parts…. Melody

I had a garage door spring blow once on me.  It was absolute LOUD!!  

The house was nice and toasty warm when I got home last night, thank goodness.  

I saw a few minutes of men's luge today when I was up in the lounge fixing the coffee machine.  Man, that track goes on forever.  Lots of curves and left-to-right-to-left moves.  I didn't really see any straightaways.  I did see one guy from Russia (if you don't know, they are called "Russian Olympic Committee" this year - only clean athletes who did not test positives for banned substances)  lose it coming down off a curb and come off his sled.  I expect to see more of this from small country teams in all the sliding sports.  

OOTD:  my one tie dye sweater tunic dress, black leggings and my tall black boots.  

• Like 2

I haven't watched 10 minutes of the Olympics but have been following a few stories.  The young Chinese skater who fell twice. You would think she had committed murder or something. The reactions have been horrible for her.

GEEEZZ people, have some compassion.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I haven't watched 10 minutes of the Olympics but have been following a few stories.  The young Chinese skater who fell twice. You would think she had committed murder or something. The reactions have been horrible for her.

GEEEZZ people, have some compassion.

I wonder how much is due to her being born and rasied in California has to do with it?

On 2/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, awhfy said:

They gave me the long-lasting nerve block & it’s expected to last up to 72 hours!  I’d be happy with another day!!  

It sounds like you got an Exparel block. I hear they are pretty good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I wonder how much is due to her being born and rasied in California has to do with it?

It sounds like you got an Exparel block. I hear they are pretty good.

That is the block I received. It was fabulous. I still have some numbness since Friday morning. 2 pain pills total. Few more anti-nausea pills. But I’m feeling pretty good. I get to have a shower today, can’t wait. Have to keep dressing & splint dry for another 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

HI girls.....thanks for the support.  I already reached my Dr's office and they are faxing the paperwork to the Oncologist that actually accepts my insurance........and she said she was faxing it while we were on the phone.  And I called the other guy and cancelled that appointment......so now it is a waiting game. They need to call me to schedule an appointment to see the Dr. 

PH,  to be honest, I think the young girl was born in CALI but she is skating for China, not the US........

• Like 1

I forgot to mention I was told it can be up to 72 hours before I am contacted (that is 3 days).........😲

Well, I decided to use the Hospital's website and requested an appt via the net.........that one actually says you will be contacted within 1-2 days. So maybe I will have some information by Wednesday. One can hope...........There is  form to to fill out so I entered all the information and hit submit........it said my request has been submitted. Now it is "hurry up and wait".

• Like 2

Lois - the girl who competed in figure skating for China is an American.  Her father has a high-tech job in Silicon Valley.   Some in China are rather upset that China is "importing" Americans and and Canadians to play for them.  Usually, China required someone to renounce their other citizenship and give up their passport, but they are letting the athletes get by without doing that.  Most of the men on the Chinese hockey team are Canadian.   It's honestly a pretty common thing to play citizenship games in sports.   The guy who carried the flag for American Samoa is actually is a skeleton athlete who slid for the USA until after the 2016 World Championships, then he switched to American Samoa.   The women's bobsled pilot for Jamaica was actually the US #3 pilot at the 2014 winter Olympics and then switched when she knew she would not get any higher.  I've got a few old skeleton friends who competed for Canada but then went for Jamaica, one who was American, but could legitimately compete for the US or American Samoa because she was born on the Air Force base there.

I've watched the US womens hockey player who broke her leg and the US womens skier who broke her leg.  Their injuries look 90% like when I did my leg, with the foot turned 90 degrees.  But, I added "difficulty" to mine by having my foot also sole down on the ground, not on it's side.   At least I know mostly now mine looked now...

All alone at work again.   Waiting for my 1 arrival...

OOTD:  green plaid JJill shirt from about 10 years ago, black leggings, and my high black boots. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

PH,  to be honest, I think the young girl was born in CALI but she is skating for China, not the US........

Correct. She was born and raised in California, but is skating for China. Vanessa James has skated for the US, France, and is representing Canada this year. There was a skater from the US who's parent was from Switzerland, so she skated for Switzerland. It's not uncommon for athletes that can't break through the upper levels in their native countries to skate for a parent's country or to change nationality. Doesn't make it right, but it's common. @slidergirlgave a pretty good explanation too.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Correct. She was born and raised in California, but is skating for China. Vanessa James has skated for the US, France, and is representing Canada this year. There was a skater from the US who's parent was from Switzerland, so she skated for Switzerland. It's not uncommon for athletes that can't break through the upper levels in their native countries to skate for a parent's country or to change nationality. Doesn't make it right, but it's common. @slidergirlgave a pretty good explanation too.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment.

Yeah, if  you're ranked #4 in the US and have citizenship ability elsewhere, it's a good thing to look at.  

2002 Winter Olympics were full of people who were American but who were in bobsled or skeleton for other countries.  The Puerto Ricans were from Texas, the Armenians were from San Jose, CA,  the Mexicans were from Texas...  We all were good friends, athletes and officials.  It was a truly fun and happy group of people that year.

Oh, when they show any women's skeleton, look for my friend Katie Uehlander!  I've known her since 2002 when she came to learn how to slide.  She got robbed of the bronze Sochi when a Russian took Bronze by .04, but then her test result came back dirty.  Years later, the IOC decided that girl was one of the "unwitting" kids doped and allowed her to keep her medal.   The other Russian men's skeleton and bobsled guys had to give back their medals and everyone moved up.  

• Like 1

Hi girls, well, the Nurse called me back this morning. First, she was one of the nicest, most friendly, caring sounding person!🙂  They received all the paperwork that my GYN's office had faxed over.  And I have an appt to see the Dr on Monday morning.  The Dr I will be seeing is a female (I originally thought I would be seeing the same Doc who treated my Mom) but he has cut back on most of his hours. That is ok. The nurse said she works directly with this Dr as well and she really spoke very highly of her.  I will know more on Monday.  The appt for 9:00am and surprise, they actually have a new office near where I live!......they don't do surgery's there but other procedures and consultations, etc.

I will let you know how things progress but the nurse was really kind. Made me feel better.

• Like 5

All righty.  I'm back on thinking about my vacation and trying to finalize things except the Florence part.  

Cynthia - you said you had some hotel ideas for Lyon, I think.  It just seems less of a hassle to spend the day/night in Lyon than spending a night in Aix and getting up a 3am to get to a 6am flight and have a multi-hour connection time.  I'm a notorious anti-morning person, so what I can do to ease that pain is what I'll try to do!!

Bordeaux is 90% positive for spending those couple of days before I fly home. So I'm researching that now.  Spending a day on the beach at Arachon and enjoying a lunch of fresh oysters with a glass of wine sounds nice and relaxing - maybe I'll do that my last day.   

ootd:  It's my day off, so it's sweats and a Tshirt.  Not going anywhere - saving that for tomorrow.  

• Like 2

On 2/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, sjb317 said:

You sound less stressed, Lois!  It all seems to have worked out well.

Melody, glad to see that everything went well for you, too!

Sherri🙂

Hi Sherri, I am......(less stressed)......thank you🙂. The nurse made me feel better.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - you said you had some hotel ideas for Lyon, I think.  It just seems less of a hassle to spend the day/night in Lyon than spending a night in Aix and getting up a 3am to get to a 6am flight and have a multi-hour connection time.

It just so happens I am speaking to one of my favorite colleagues in Lyon tomorrow morning. I will ask her about some of the places I've stayed and any updated recommendations and will share with you.

I am truly in the move maelstrom right now, so pardon my sporadic check-ins. 

@Lois R  Glad to hear you are feeling better about things and good luck on Monday. 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 4:24 PM, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - you said you had some hotel ideas for Lyon, I think.  It just seems less of a hassle to spend the day/night in Lyon than spending a night in Aix and getting up a 3am to get to a 6am flight and have a multi-hour connection time.

Spoke to my Lyon colleague today and she gave me a few tips as well as confirming what I already thought about another:

I'm not sure what area of Lyon you want to stay in, so if you want more suggestions in a specific area let me know. One of the "hot" neighborhoods at the moment just happens to be Confluence (where the two rivers come together at the southern tip of the "peninsula" in the heart of Lyon) -- and it just so happens that my company headquarters in Lyon is also right there. 

The latest favorite with visiting colleagues by far, according to Brigitte is the Mob Hotel (apparently opened on the strength of the original one in Paris).  Excellent pricing and a very modern Euro vibe:

Here's a good write-up I found:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/rhone-alpes/lyon/hotels/mob-hotel-lyon/

I haven't stayed there as it is so new but I remember seeing it go up and I have stayed in a different hotel that is part of the same complex (an Ibis hotel that is dirt cheap and clean but doesn't have much else to recommend it). There are a number of things opening in this area -- good shopping, markets, new museums, etc. But I will be truthful and say that it probably isn't the area I'd choose to stay in IF I wasn't there on business....

The area I like best is a bit farther north but still on the peninsula, around Place Bellecour, a large pedestrian area with lots of good restaurants, shopping, and good transportation connections around the rest of Lyon (including up to the hilltop Le Fourviere area where you MUST go see the Roman theater and museum!) Two good hotel bets in this area are Hotel Globe et Cecil (four star but generally good prices and also very unpretentious; family owned for generations), and the Sofitel Lyon Bellecour -- my ex-boss's favorite, and he had to be there about once a month!

If you stay in this area you MUST visit Chocolats Voisin, they are incredible. Anyone in my group who goes to Lyon is duty-bound to bring back some of these for their team (or anyone they want to bribe...)

A little further north again (still on peninsula) is the old silk district with narrow streets and covered alleyways. And where you go to eat tripe in the traditional eateries of the silk workers, the bouchons (done it even though it's not my thing).  Not right IN the area but not far from it is another hotel my colleague recommended if you want to be sort of equidistant from Place Bellecour and the Croix-Rousse (silk workers) areas:  Hotel Silky -- apparently it is a very modern renovation of a very traditional old hotel (I think designed by Haussmann, the man who designed the famous boulevards of Paris....). 

Let me know if any of these do the trick or if you want more. I wouldn't recommend staying up in La Fourviere but there are some nice hotels there too. A bit isolated for me and most of the good restos are closer to the areas I named above.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Spoke to my Lyon colleague today and she gave me a few tips as well as confirming what I already thought about another:

I'm not sure what area of Lyon you want to stay in, so if you want more suggestions in a specific area let me know. One of the "hot" neighborhoods at the moment just happens to be Confluence (where the two rivers come together at the southern tip of the "peninsula" in the heart of Lyon) -- and it just so happens that my company headquarters in Lyon is also right there. 

The latest favorite with visiting colleagues by far, according to Brigitte is the Mob Hotel (apparently opened on the strength of the original one in Paris).  Excellent pricing and a very modern Euro vibe:

Here's a good write-up I found:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/rhone-alpes/lyon/hotels/mob-hotel-lyon/

I haven't stayed there as it is so new but I remember seeing it go up and I have stayed in a different hotel that is part of the same complex (an Ibis hotel that is dirt cheap and clean but doesn't have much else to recommend it). There are a number of things opening in this area -- good shopping, markets, new museums, etc. But I will be truthful and say that it probably isn't the area I'd choose to stay in IF I wasn't there on business....

The area I like best is a bit farther north but still on the peninsula, around Place Bellecour, a large pedestrian area with lots of good restaurants, shopping, and good transportation connections around the rest of Lyon (including up to the hilltop Le Fourviere area where you MUST go see the Roman theater and museum!) Two good hotel bets in this area are Hotel Globe et Cecil (four star but generally good prices and also very unpretentious; family owned for generations), and the Sofitel Lyon Bellecour -- my ex-boss's favorite, and he had to be there about once a month!

If you stay in this area you MUST visit Chocolats Voisin, they are incredible. Anyone in my group who goes to Lyon is duty-bound to bring back some of these for their team (or anyone they want to bribe...)

A little further north again (still on peninsula) is the old silk district with narrow streets and covered alleyways. And where you go to eat tripe in the traditional eateries of the silk workers, the bouchons (done it even though it's not my thing).  Not right IN the area but not far from it is another hotel my colleague recommended if you want to be sort of equidistant from Place Bellecour and the Croix-Rousse (silk workers) areas:  Hotel Silky -- apparently it is a very modern renovation of a very traditional old hotel (I think designed by Haussmann, the man who designed the famous boulevards of Paris....). 

Let me know if any of these do the trick or if you want more. I wouldn't recommend staying up in La Fourviere but there are some nice hotels there too. A bit isolated for me and most of the good restos are closer to the areas I named above.

wow!  This helps sooo much!  Even for 1 night, I research and research.   Actually, the Globe et Cecil sounds fine and the price is right!    I was thinking of staying out at the airport at the Moxy - I have a free Marriott night - but it's a pain to go back and forth from train to airport to town to airport.  It was tempting, though, since I could roll out of bed and be inside the airport in a few minutes - my kind of pre-flight stay!!

Now, yes, I will visit Chocolats Voisin, for at least 1 piece of chocolate.

For eating that night, any place around Place Bellecour that is particularly receptive to solo women?  I'm into "local" food, but not organ meat - duck, lamb, fish,  seafood, an exceptionally good salad.  I definitely do not need the "white tablecloth" place, but good food in a good environment.   I'm going to gorge myself on oysters in Bordeaux and Sete, so it's not a priority.  Duck is a fave of mine and I rarely get it up here.  

I love it that I'm going to look at so many Roman Ruins on my time in France!   Sete, Arles, Lyon, Ponte du Gard...  

• Like 1

Hi girls, well, it is Superbowl Sunday.........Debbie, I am sure LA is a buzz........I have to admit though, I am rooting for the Bengals...........hope it is a good game though!  Instead of buying wings, I bought some whole wings from Publix and will just put some spices on them and a bit of olive oil and bake them🙂......was looking on line and there are probably 10,000 recipes LOL..........

I did get some chips and onion dip. Haven't had any in a long, long time. I forgot how much I love onion dip!  

Tomorrow morning is my Dr's appt.........will let ya'll know what happens.

Have a good day everyone.🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

For eating that night, any place around Place Bellecour that is particularly receptive to solo women?  I'm into "local" food, but not organ meat - duck, lamb, fish,  seafood, an exceptionally good salad.  I definitely do not need the "white tablecloth" place, but good food in a good environment.   I'm going to gorge myself on oysters in Bordeaux and Sete, so it's not a priority.  Duck is a fave of mine and I rarely get it up here.  

One place nearby for a bit of a "wow" but still reasonably priced (for Lyon) is the restaurant of the Grand Hôtel-Dieu de Lyon.  It's called Le Grande Refectoire. I specifically mention it for you because they have very good specials for lunch/dinner where you can get 2 or 3 courses for a good combined price -- this is common in Lyon; people like their food there but they don't generally pay Paris prices. It's also no "knock" to eat in the hotel restaurant, they are some of the best.  At any rate, this one in particular made me think of you because they have a nice central bar area which is a great place for solos; plenty to watch from there. I'm one who generally likes a table, but I remember we had this discussion regarding Roscioli in Rome. They also offer some good wines by the glass, not always the case when you are a solo diner and don't want an entire bottle.

If you want to try a bouchon, La Mere Jean is a good one, also not too far from the Globe et Cecile on the east side of Place Bellecour. It's small and tends to be crowded (at least pre-COVID, I think you can make reservations now). They have the traditional fish quenelles and sausages with god-knows-what but they also have a very good salad Lyonnaise and other dishes. There are a number of bouchons in the near vicinity of Le Mere Jean, so if you aren't inclined to make a reservation you can probably find somewhere else that strikes you.

If you're feeling swank, there is a restaurant called L'institut just on the corner of Place Bellecour that is associated with the famous L'Institut of Paul Bocuse. I've not been there but have wanted to go:   https://www.linstitut-restaurant.fr/en/.   Much less expensive that his restaurant and features up-and-coming chefs.

• Like 1