Feb. 26 Riviera Cruise Had A Corona Virus Passenger

kitty9

We just received an email from Oceania that tells us a passenger tested positive for the Corona Virus and cruised on the Feb 26 Riviera cruise.  According to O, no crew has tested positive thus far. That passenger disembarked on March 11 in Miami and displayed symptoms after arriving home.  

37 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

Kitty9,

hope you stay healthy.  Were you contacted by any public health agencies also?  just curious

No, not yet.  But once they hear, I’m guessing they may contact us. 

37 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

No, not yet.  But once they hear, I’m guessing they may contact us. 

Do either of you have symptoms ?

Seems like they can show up to 10 days after contact

Hope you & your sister  stay well

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Knock on wood, nothing.  We are both taking our temps twice a day and it’s been normal, actually below normal.  Seeing that the Feb 26 cruise ended on Mar 11, we are getting close to that 10 day period.  We decided that when we hit April 1, and we are still ok, we will breathe a sigh of relief. 

12 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Knock on wood, nothing.  We are both taking our temps twice a day and it’s been normal, actually below normal.  Seeing that the Feb 26 cruise ended on Mar 11, we are getting close to that 10 day period.  We decided that when we hit April 1, and we are still ok, we will breathe a sigh of relief. 

Statistically speaking I think that thankfully both of you will be OK.

From everything I hear most people will show signs within 5 days - 14 days would an extreme case.

Good luck.

Kitty - there is thread about a passenger who was airlifted in Puerto Rico and turned out to have COVID-19. Amazingly, at age 87 with multiple underlying medical conditions is doing well - wonderful news.

Was that from your ship?

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Good. I've read 10 to 14 days.

37 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

37 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Kitty - there is thread about a passenger who was airlifted in Puerto Rico and turned out to have COVID-19. Amazingly, at age 87 with multiple underlying medical conditions is doing well - wonderful news.

Was that from your ship?

That’s interesting.  There was a person evacuated to Puerto Rico from our Feb 26 cruise, but the Captain steadfastly maintained that he had a heart problem and that he did NOT have COVID-19.  Guest services was inundated with calls from concerned passengers wondering if the passenger was being removed because of COVID-19——I was one of them—-because the rumor mill was off the charts.  We all knew HIPPA laws prevented anyone from disclosing information, but the passengers needed to be reassured that we weren’t going to become another Diamond Princess. The next morning the Captain announced that the passenger had a long standing heart condition that needed immediate attention.  He said, more than once, that COVID-19 was not the issue. 

7 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Captain announced that the passenger had a long standing heart condition that needed immediate attention.  He said, more than once, that COVID-19 was not the issue. 

Captain was only saying what he knew at the time.

The patient in the interview said that his COVID-19 test took several days to be confirmed - so nobody knew at that time that he was positive but people were aware of his other medical problems.

It could have been much worse for the ship (Passengers & crew) than it appears to have been.

Just now, Paulchili said:

The patient in the interview said that his COVID-19 test took several days to be confirmed - so nobody knew at that time that he was positive but people were aware of his other medical problems.

It could have been much worse for the ship (Passengers & crew) than it appears to have been.

I totally agree, and the outcome was why we all received the email from O.  I am happy that O informed us of the situation so that we could all take care of things once we knew.  

12 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Good  News

Hope you both stay  well

12 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Statistically speaking I think that thankfully both of you will be OK.

From everything I hear most people will show signs within 5 days - 14 days would an extreme case.

Good luck.

Paul  You are right  I think the average was about 5 days   i did  see one  report that the longest  was 10 days before  the  person got sick

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe implementing the Code  red  protocol  before  the cruise  was a good thing

I am sure all the extra cleaning  helped keep the spread down

JMO

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Was that from your ship?

Wow!  Thanks for that info, Paul.  We have been home from that cruise for 10 days but that gentlemen was airlifted off two days before we disembarked.

12 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Wow!  Thanks for that info, Paul.  We have been home from that cruise for 10 days but that gentlemen was airlifted off two days before we disembarked.

Pam - if you are still well at 10 days, chances are great that you dodged this bullet.

Stay safe.

20 hours ago, kitty9 said:

That’s interesting.  There was a person evacuated to Puerto Rico from our Feb 26 cruise, but the Captain steadfastly maintained that he had a heart problem and that he did NOT have COVID-19.  Guest services was inundated with calls from concerned passengers wondering if the passenger was being removed because of COVID-19——I was one of them—-because the rumor mill was off the charts.  We all knew HIPPA laws prevented anyone from disclosing information, but the passengers needed to be reassured that we weren’t going to become another Diamond Princess. The next morning the Captain announced that the passenger had a long standing heart condition that needed immediate attention.  He said, more than once, that COVID-19 was not the issue. 

How interesting that the email from Oceania, which I received on Thursday afternoon, and was sent only because the CDC required that Oceania do so, never told us that the passenger with COVID-19 was the same man with “pre-exiting heart problems,” no mention of lung issues by our reassuring Captain, who was airlifted off the ship early on Monday, March 9.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, kitty9 said:

" ... That passenger disembarked on March 11 in Miami and displayed symptoms after arriving home. "

According to OP an email from Oceania said ... "That passenger disembarked on March 11 in Miami and displayed symptoms after arriving home." So, are we now saying there were two different passengers that eventually were diagnosed with COVID19? The passenger airlifted off in Puerto Rico? And the passenger that disembarked in Miami?

59 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

According to OP an email from Oceania said ... "That passenger disembarked on March 11 in Miami and displayed symptoms after arriving home." So, are we now saying there were two different passengers that eventually were diagnosed with COVID19? The passenger airlifted off in Puerto Rico? And the passenger that disembarked in Miami?

I was wondering about that as well.

We were on this cruise.  The email we received made no mention of the passenger disembarking in Miami and falling ill on his return home.  Did we receive different emails?  Below is the email we received.

Dear Valued Guest:

The safety and security of our guests and crew are at all times our first priority.  You are receiving this communication because our records indicate that you were a guest on the February 26, 2020 voyage of the Riviera.  Oceania Cruises has been provided information by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that a guest who traveled aboard the vessel on the same voyage has tested positive for COVID-19.  At this time, we are aware of no other similar cases from this voyage and none of our crew are experiencing any symptoms whatsoever.  However, in an abundance of caution, the CDC has asked that we forward the attached to you for your review and consideration.

We thank you for your attention to this matter.

Edited by seascot