P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's a wise decision Josy, you have to be extra careful under the circumstances. I know you must be apprehensive about your niece's decision to host a family Christmas dinner, but it seems as though she's given it plenty of serious thought. I assume from your posts, she works for the NHS in some capacity, so will be able to make a more cautious and responsible decision that most. I hope your niece has a lovely Christmas and a healthy New Year. 

Avril

She does work for the NHS, she is a nurse.  I think that can sometimes be a problem because health professionals often know too much.  I will pass your good wishes on to her.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks for that. Must add a few cakes. Just in case.,🤔

Forget about the bread and cakes  - have you got enough wine in ?

We have two relatives staying with us for three days between Christmas and New Year - we have 40 bottles ready, but are hoping they bring some wine with them, in case supplies run short !

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We have two relatives staying with us for three days between Christmas and New Year - we have 40 bottles ready, but are hoping they bring some wine with them, in case supplies run short !

We have over 50 bottles, but can't really spare any as the shops are shut for a couple of days. I don't think we will run out, but may be forced to drink pinot noir with the Stilton.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sounds like you operate an open door policy regarding your wines Wowzz .

If someone brings you wine, you open the door :classic_wink:

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have over 50 bottles, but can't really spare any as the shops are shut for a couple of days. I don't think we will run out, but may be forced to drink pinot noir with the Stilton.

Zap surely in addition to the 50 bottles of wine you have a hearty supply of port, gin, whisky etc. A nice smoky malt goes well with Stilton so don’t be stuck, try a Laphroaig, Benriach or a cheeky 35 year old Caol Ila.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your helpful comments I am going to try and grow a thicker skin. Jane, Graham and everyone with challenges I hope that everything goes well and you get better soon.

Here it has been a very dull day with about one hour of the cloud thinning. Brother went to do his business thingy and took me out to the wine shop in the town later as he wanted wine for home and to buy me some fizz for my Xmas present (he is a good brother). He is off tomorrow as my sister in law is returning from her sisters and they need to get last minute stuff done. I will miss him

Em

44 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Zap surely in addition to the 50 bottles of wine you have a hearty supply of port, gin, whisky etc. A nice smoky malt goes well with Stilton so don’t be stuck, try a Laphroaig, Benriach or a cheeky 35 year old Caol Ila.

That's a plan , but I haven't Touched Gin for years. I got terribly ill by drinking it over 50 years ago. I think the ice may have been off.🤔

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That's a plan , but I haven't Touched Gin for years. I got terribly ill by drinking it over 50 years ago. I think the ice may have been off.🤔

Zap, I got drunk on cider when I was 15 and I can't stand the smell of it to this day!

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Zap, I got drunk on cider when I was 15 and I can't stand the smell of it to this day!

I got drunk for the first time many, many decades ago in my early twenties. I was really ill and swore it would never happen again - it never has. I still remember it to this day. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Ice frequently has a lot to answer for 😉

I would love to blame ice for my hatred of whiskey but there was no ice involved.  38 years later I can't  stand the smell of whiskey.  I remember going to dinner at a friend's house but I can't remember anything after being persuaded to try a drop of scotch until I woke up at home thd following evening in bed at home.  DH assures me that I only had a small drink but because I am such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol I  very quickly become tipsy 1 glass of wine is my limit.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

In case you decide to give it another chance, there is a pub not too far from you in Marlborough that does a very potent scrumpy. For obvious reasons, I can't remember it's name.🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I got drunk for the first time many, many decades ago in my early twenties. I was really ill and swore it would never happen again - it never has. I still remember it to this day. 

Very sensible Eglesbrech.

Personally I can't see the point in getting drunk and rarely have an alcoholic drink unless we are on holiday.

Graham.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I would love to blame ice for my hatred of whiskey but there was no ice involved.  38 years later I can't  stand the smell of whiskey.  I remember going to dinner at a friend's house but I can't remember anything after being persuaded to try a drop of scotch until I woke up at home thd following evening in bed at home.  DH assures me that I only had a small drink but because I am such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol I  very quickly become tipsy 1 glass of wine is my limit.

Perhaps it was cask strength, that catches out lots of people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I got drunk on cider when I was 15 and I can't stand the smell of it to this day!

50 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

45 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I was exactly the same. Drunk on cider at 15 and never touched it again.

Oh dear all these young drunken ladies :classic_wink: I've been there a few times in my life ,same as you 

I also said never again but that was only until the next time in my younger years .

Thankfully I don't drink at all due to my health conditions now . :classic_smile:

I came across this guy who has a timely reminder for people who own a car ...

A warning to all, be careful about drink driving as we are getting close to Christmas and Police

are out there checking on people. Last night I was out for a few drinks. One thing lead to another and I had a few too many cocktails and then went onto the wine. Not a good idea. Knowing I was over the limit, I decided to leave my car at the pub and took a Bus home. Sure enough, I passed a police checkpoint, where they were pulling over drivers and performing breathalyser tests.

Because I was in a Bus they just waved it past. I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise as I've never driven a Double Decker Bus  before and I am not even sure where I even got it from..:classic_unsure:

Take care :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 11