P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone.  Another early morning I was awake just before 4 am again.  I woke up thinking about the problems that I am experiencing with Staysure, almost 2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to sort out our travel insurance and it looks like a repeat today when they open at 10 am. When we renewed 3 weeks ago they said that they wouldn't cover DH's problem area on his shoulder because he was waiting for a hospital appointment but to call back when he had finished his treatment and that in the mean time he would be covered for everything else.  He received his biopsy result letter from the hospital saying that it was a benign seborrhoeic keratosis and does not need further investigation of treatment so he was now discharged from the hospital.  I called Staysure, paid an additional amount so that he would now be fully covered.  The young lady I spoke to said that she would send me a link that would unlock our account so that I could create a new password and download our documents.  I have still not received the link so I have no proof that we are insured so can't book a short cruise which we were looking at because feel that we need a rest.  Even worse is that I am concerned that we may not get the documentation before we are supposed to go on a cruise next month and so will have to cancel and lose over £4000.

My hubby was in your wide awake club today. We are starting to decorate the house and he was up decorating at 4.30am. Me, I just slept through it all in fact I am still in bed writing this. Lovely hubby brings me breakfast in bed every day. 

Hope you get your insurance sorted today Josy, we are with Staysure too and our docs came through so hopefully yours will too.

Michelle

• Like 5

@Josy1953 Sounds like you got yourself a poor rep ,,, 2 hours ?? 😮

I hope you get put through to someone who's a bit more switched on today .

Trouble with the review sites is you get folk filling them with comments about

how wonderful the agent was when buying the policy and not the claims made .

They were very good when we had to claim off our recent claim on the Ventura,

they were there when needed at the point of claim .

Lets hope at 10 o'clock you get things resolved and have your trouble free cruise .

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It has been raining all night and still raining heavily now.

Currently 6°C.

I hope everyone is well especially Michelle's @Peanut006 mam and Avril's @Adawn47 Frank.

Very thoughtful of you to think of my mum Graham. She is doing fine, all wired up to be monitored constantly, pacemaker hopefully tomorrow if not it will be Tuesday 

Michelle

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Selbourne has been kindly providing copies of menus on his live blog. There is a very high proportion of vegetarian and vegan food across the menus, particularly the at lunch time. I didn’t want to hijack his blog so am adding these thoughts here.

While I personally enjoy this type of food and eat mostly veggie with the odd bit of meat and fish when I fancy it, the choice is becoming less for those who prefer meat with most meals. For committed carnivores like some of my travelling companions the choice seems more limited than in the past.

Out of curiosity I looked up the statistics for the U.K. on vegetarian and vegan numbers

According to the vegetarian society it is 4.5% of the population (veggie and vegan). According to UKGov it is 3% vegetarian and 1% vegan.

So under 5% of the population yet P&O lunch menus have a massive percentage, particularly for lunch. Many of the desserts are vegan.

Why do you think P&O have headed so prominently in this direction: Attracting the young? Green credentials? Costs? Something else?

I particularly struggled when choosing a dessert. I’d get excited to see cheesecake or chocolate only to see in the small print they are vegan or low sugar. I don’t want to eat lots of artificial sweeteners and having sampled a vegan chocolate mousse, never again!

I want dairy desserts, my choice is also not helped as I don’t like the traditional school dinner puddings either. Dessert used to be my favourite part of the meal.

• Like 7

I agree about the desserts on P & O, they are very disappointing. I usually choose cheeseboard but I can never say it’s really good. Best cheeseboard I had was at a hotel in Torquay a few years ago

IMG_3122.jpeg

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

he was up decorating at 4.30am. Me, I just slept through it all in fact I am still in bed writing this. Lovely hubby brings me breakfast in bed every day. 

Some folk dream of winning the lottery , like a lot of us ,you won the day you found your other half 🥰

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I agree about the desserts on P & O, they are very disappointing. I usually choose cheeseboard but I can never say it’s really good. Best cheeseboard I had was at a hotel in Torquay a few years ago

IMG_3122.jpeg

Even the cheese board has reduced and it’s the same offering every night.

On my last cruise the menu for the celebration night showed a different selection and I got quite enthused, then it came and it was the same sad tiny plate of very basic cheeses. I did ask why it was not what was shown on the menu and was told that was all they had (he did bring me more though),

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Out of curiosity I looked up the statistics for the U.K. on vegetarian and vegan numbers

According to the vegetarian society it is 4.5% of the population (veggie and vegan). According to UKGov it is 3% vegetarian and 1% vegan.

So under 5% of the population yet P&O lunch menus have a massive percentage, particularly for lunch. Many of the desserts are vegan.

Why do you think P&O have headed so prominently in this direction: Attracting the young? Green credentials? Costs? Something else?

Personally I think that it is cost, P&O are now one of the cheapest lines to cruise with.  Like any business they need to make a profit so if they are cutting their prices to attract more customers then they have to cut their costs accordingly.  It is short sighted because when the newer cruises try another line they may not come back to P&O.

We had our boiler serviced last week by British Gas and the chap who came to service it was very tanned and when DH asked him if he had been on holiday he said that he was just back from a  7 night cruise on Iona which had only cost £500 each.  I just can't believe that it is cost effective to sell cruises at that price. He said that their only criticism was the poor food.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

@Josy1953 Sounds like you got yourself a poor rep ,,, 2 hours ?? 😮

I hope you get put through to someone who's a bit more switched on today .

Trouble with the review sites is you get folk filling them with comments about

how wonderful the agent was when buying the policy and not the claims made .

They were very good when we had to claim off our recent claim on the Ventura,

they were there when needed at the point of claim .

Lets hope at 10 o'clock you get things resolved and have your trouble free cruise .

We are also with Staysure. We made a claim for a cruise we had to cancel about 18 months ago caused by serious illness of a family member who was not travelling. It was eventually settled in full but it took about three months and us having to provide an overload of proof, some of which would have been very difficult to obtain without having power of attorney for the person with the illness. My feeling is that delays were caused by the company who Staysure sub contract the claims process to, rather than Staysure themselves. Perhaps they should handle claims as well as selling their insurance.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Ugh, my poor mum would have been writing notes until I was 7 then 😆

My sister doesn’t like milk now because they would put the school milk near the radiators !

Some folk enjoy a warm milk at bedtime. A spoonful of horlicks as well please.😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Selbourne has been kindly providing copies of menus on his live blog. There is a very high proportion of vegetarian and vegan food across the menus, particularly the at lunch time. I didn’t want to hijack his blog so am adding these thoughts here.

While I personally enjoy this type of food and eat mostly veggie with the odd bit of meat and fish when I fancy it, the choice is becoming less for those who prefer meat with most meals. For committed carnivores like some of my travelling companions the choice seems more limited than in the past.

V&V folk seem to be very vocal.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Even the cheese board has reduced and it’s the same offering every night.

On my last cruise the menu for the celebration night showed a different selection and I got quite enthused, then it came and it was the same sad tiny plate of very basic cheeses. I did ask why it was not what was shown on the menu and was told that was all they had (he did bring me more though),

The Best Chess Board I have ever had at sea was Sagas, you can choose your own every night from a great selection of at least 8, has many has you like.

Has they say you get what you pay for most of the time.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

The Best Chess Board I have ever had at sea was Sagas, you can choose your own every night from a great selection of at least 8, has many has you like.

They used to do that on P&O. And Stilton (if you asked for it). Sadly no more. 

15 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

P&O's chess board is rubbish.  Not many prawns.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

20 minutes ago, zap99 said:

V&V folk seem to be very vocal.

A vegan said to me that people who sell meat are disgusting.

I said people who sell fruit and vegetables are grocer. 🙃😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

Obviously another case of autocorrect, enjoyed the chess jokes but

seriously Saga cheese board is excellent.

On a different post, spellchecker changed Horlicks to Hollies.

• Haha 2