P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh lovely, I’ve been looking at York but it’s quite expensive. I’ve been to Castle Howard once but it was raining hard so we didn’t see much of the gardens so would happily go again.

There are lots of nice hotels in York or just outside of York.

The city centre especially

The Shambles street and nearby York Minster are lovely.

On the outskirts of York just off the main A64/A19 is the wonderful indoor Designer outlet with lots of shops including Ted Baker,Hobbs, Ralph Lauren, Radley and many more and a food court upstairs.

• Like 3

A tiny bit of rain here last night in Puerto Cruz, but still plenty warm enough to be sat outside in the evening having a drink.

image.thumb.jpeg.668a4da2239287468f43aa72b27969c9.jpeg

And this morning the wind has got up so no swimming in the sea today! It might make Azura's journey up to Madeira tonight a bit 'interesting'.

image.thumb.jpeg.93dcc9a81c74d8df2afc3c0ad0bec95f.jpeg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh lovely, I’ve been looking at York but it’s quite expensive. I’ve been to Castle Howard once but it was raining hard so we didn’t see much of the gardens so would happily go again.

We spent 3 days in York last Feb for the first time and loved it. We stayed at the Radisson Park Inn or something like that. It was right in the canal about 10 mins from the cathedral on the river. Lovely hotel and a great Italian nearby. If you check it out on TripAdvisor you'll see our review under Presto2. Any questions ask.. we loved the place.

• Like 3

We've been out for the afternoon. Am wondering if anyone can guess where this is. Stoke on Trent may not be the prettiest place on the planet but we are so close to some stunning areas. 

20240224_150013.jpg

20240224_150006.jpg

20240224_145956.jpg

• Like 5

All this talk of York leads me to ask I have been invited to visit a couple of my horses stabled in Malton.  I've not a clue where that is in relation to places I've been before! Any advice on where I should look to stay much appreciated.  I intend to do a mini roadtrip breaking my journey along the way.  I have friends in Nottingysmshire but thought I'd stay somewhere after that and perhaps look stay a day or two after the stable visit in Yorkshire. All ideas gratefully received. It will be early May.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes we found the hotels expensive, most seem to charge extra for car parking, one we looked at was £18 a day. So we decided to look outside of the city and have booked a cottage for  4 nights, we can do our own breakfast and eat out during the day or cook something when we get back. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

All this talk of York leads me to ask I have been invited to visit a couple of my horses stabled in Malton.  I've not a clue where that is in relation to places I've been before! Any advice on where I should look to stay much appreciated.  I intend to do a mini roadtrip breaking my journey along the way.  I have friends in Nottingysmshire but thought I'd stay somewhere after that and perhaps look stay a day or two after the stable visit in Yorkshire. All ideas gratefully received. It will be early May.

The Hilton York is perfectly located next to the Castle museum and the centre of York.

Screenshot_20240224_185908.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Marvellous. I shall look into it. Thank you.

Hi as I mentioned Radisson has a hotel there close to everything and on the river. Just been refurbished. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We spent 3 days in York last Feb for the first time and loved it. We stayed at the Radisson Park Inn or something like that. It was right in the canal about 10 mins from the cathedral on the river. Lovely hotel and a great Italian nearby. If you check it out on TripAdvisor you'll see our review under Presto2. Any questions ask.. we loved the place.

I agree, York is just lovely with lots of things to do. I spent six weeks there on a training course a number of years ago, it was lovely. I can vouch for designer outlet, well worth a look

Michelle

• Like 3

9 hours ago, brian1 said:

Have you tried Premier Inn Sue?We use them all the time and the £10 buffet breakfast will last you all day,lol.Read today they are 2nd in a poll of best hotel chains.Hope they're reading this I want a cheque in the post.😉

The Premier Inns in York wanted between £350 and £570 for 4 nights on the flex and semi flex rates, on top of that was £15 a day parking. We are paying just over £400 and that includes free parking! 

• Like 2

We’ve been to Adelaide and Melbourne (for 2 days) since I last posted and we are now have a day at sea before Sydney. It was really hot in Adelaide but comfortably low 20s in Melbourne. The photos below are a beach near the Mouth of the Murray River (Adelaide excursion and boat ride), Captain Cooks cottage transported and rebuilt in Melbourne, a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground (pitch being dug up after a series of Taylor Swift concerts) and an excursion to the Dandenongs outside Melbourne with spectacular forests and walks.

The end of the cruise is approaching we disembark on Tuesday and after a night in Sydney fly back to land in UK on Thursday.

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0656.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Yes we found the hotels expensive, most seem to charge extra for car parking, one we looked at was £18 a day. So we decided to look outside of the city and have booked a cottage for  4 nights, we can do our own breakfast and eat out during the day or cook something when we get back. 

Parking in York is very expensive but there are several park and rides around the ring road, all well signposted.

The buses are frequent including one at the Designer Outlet outlet, we use them all the time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Parking in York is very expensive but there are several park and rides around the ring road, all well signposted.

The buses are frequent including one at the Designer Outlet outlet, we use them all the time.

We try and avoid the car nowdays and use National Express and our bus passes.Although York might be a mission by coach.We also book the non refundable PI rate saving quite a lot.When we stayed in Bath the local buses into Bristol were a godsend.

• Like 1

A frosty -1.c here but a bright morning .

We are both old enough to have a bus pass but haven't bothered as when you 

walk past our bus shelter it doesn't have a time table, they have a calendar instead

The service is really that bad .

Did I ever tell you about a bloke  that got  the bus every day and always bought two tickets.
The bus driver intrigued one day decided to ask:
"why do you always buy two tickets" and the man  says:
" well its simple I put one ticket in my left pocket and one in my right, that way if i lose one I still have the other " and the driver asks:
" And what if you lose both tickets?" And he says  " Oh don't worry i have a bus pass " 🤣

Have a lovely Sunday everyone .🙂

• Haha 17

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

There is also the option to take the lovely drive over the North York moors to Whitby or up to the Lake district or Skipton. 

data=_o0agPBCB5uMgLhHy-x6IEyd57PQgh7oJmcG9WOnzL9Mo99PoBu9DQ10F8dCTmMCeEwRC2GafopGA_ULzgVe91bimMzrtvYIqt86D-oUr104qs6juUIpHdFGUXBaJRNO51LyRS6eAPi5xgWpwds0qOJhA1cy3_CHOPUv,ct2Qb1UXDUk1S29cxpX45L0eEFSFO-3VWklXhFZv0vM3d52Gp4n0d8d5LhIupsgVZzm31PiZ5_HBG0Yqf4S3nqErvn53GLMKK6ChFTxCuKydK4snIGy3Aao5GkabgiguOJDAFH59cvbD9u-elOEZnscWeuf1qY-t0o6vF9LHHYX_iDip5Hmc7_q4Qsvo6Pif4g-9-hVQmwjZaKakj-U4Q4txTxIfSaqDctxDRhlT-hFH-V-RSmzob8Gxw4p73F8_TCa-kjo7GDmy3EMSMpG_XcD26sI4esLXUr5Zh97rbHLEhbbpzP4n5mnPmhlxLo5zdzL007hJolB8lkjwenqT_DzY768NY-vVnU-MC0JILa8XvnG-QDWFTlx1YEnbdXNtQMlfuOpKsOb0TeAunI0vTEE?w=650&h=200

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another sunny start to the day here in Fuerteventura, it is quite breezy but warm. This week is more cloudy than any of the previous weeks but I will take it. We are now at the point of working out how far our fridge contents will stretch and how many times we will go out. We will pay another visit to Masala as we have really enjoyed the food there. So far we have read the 22 books we brought with us plus 4 from the little book swap cupboard and will read at least 2 more over the 3 days we have left.

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend to date and the same for the ones that are on their cruises.

• Like 11

Earlier this morning it was 3˚C, bright, sunshine and the Bluetits were taking turns at the birdfeeder outside the kitchen window. We enjoyed it as long as it lasted... now we have a yellow weather warning for rain... and are looking forward to sorting out some more cruise-holiday photos.

Best Wishes to all.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

We tend to use P&R where available as avoids extortionate parking charges in some cities and locations. Already identified that we will use the P&R from Monks Cross. 

The place we have chosen is just 20 mins drive from York and 10 mins from Castle Howard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

We try and avoid the car nowdays and use National Express and our bus passes.Although York might be a mission by coach.We also book the non refundable PI rate saving quite a lot.When we stayed in Bath the local buses into Bristol were a godsend.

We used to opt for non-refundable rate, until we had to cancel a 2 night stay, finished up over £200 worse off, haven’t used that rate since. 

I dislike coach travel so not an option we would use. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We used to opt for non-refundable rate, until we had to cancel a 2 night stay, finished up over £200 worse off, haven’t used that rate since. 

I dislike coach travel so not an option we would use. 

With PI as long as you rebook another date you don't lose the money on the non ref rate.I love the coach now reading my kindle and having a kip.I wouldn't try that driving to Basingstoke on the M3,lol.Having said that 3+ hrs to Cardiff is the longest so far.I'd have to rethink travel further afield.Each to their own, enjoy your stay,Brian.

• Thanks 1

York..  we were up there just a couple of weeks ago, staying at a rented house in Heworth just a 20min stroll into the city. can recommend ...STAYSYORK. the company that we used, very reasonable for the 2 nights we were there. the city was really busy that w/end as the"Ice Sculpture festival" was on. we also experienced Afternoon tea at Bettys with our 2 grandchildren. (aged 7 & 5)  who were impeccably behaved. have added a few pictures below.

20240202_194600.jpg

20240202_194620.jpg

20240203_095627.jpg

20240203_095732.jpg

20240203_160822.jpg

IMG-20240202-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20240202-WA0007.jpeg

20240203_101211.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We tend to use P&R where available as avoids extortionate parking charges in some cities and locations. Already identified that we will use the P&R from Monks Cross. 

The place we have chosen is just 20 mins drive from York and 10 mins from Castle Howard. 

Good choice, runs every 10 minutes and is short ride in, drops you in the City Centre.

Just be aware that if you use a seniors bus pass you are still charged but at a reduced rate.

I have witnessed people from out of town complaining that it should be free.

The charge is on!y on the special park and ride buses, all other buses are free with the pass.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:16 PM, Eglesbrech said:

And even when the toilets went indoors there was the dreaded Izal toilet paper. Those who know what I mean, know what I mean!

At least the newsprint didn't come off Izal 😂

• Haha 2