Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

Lovely area where you live. We stayed overnight there on a drive over several days, through much of California and Nevada on our first visit to USA back in 1991.

It is, thanks. We feel very lucky to live near Lake Tahoe and feel it should have been a national park. 

• Like 2

Lovely photos!   Alas, we are preparing to be hit by hurricane Ian here on the west coast of Florida!!   It’s the price you pay for living in paradise the rest of the time.  It’s been 5 years since the last one.  🙏 🤞 the worst misses us. 

59 minutes ago, KY Deb said:

Lovely photos!   Alas, we are preparing to be hit by hurricane Ian here on the west coast of Florida!!   It’s the price you pay for living in paradise the rest of the time.  It’s been 5 years since the last one.  🙏 🤞 the worst misses us. 

@KY DebBatten down the hatches!!

6 hours ago, KY Deb said:

Alas, we are preparing to be hit by hurricane Ian here on the west coast of Florida!!

We are really hoping Florida isn't hit too hard. We cherish our memories of bringing our kids down to Captiva when we lived in Massachusetts. We still dream of the wonderful shelling there and remember what Charley did to the island. Fingers crossed for you all!

In the winter, visiting Niagara Falls is magical.  The mist freezes on the trees and when the wind blows, the icicles break off with tinkling sounds.  I took my then girlfriend there , now my wife, 53 years ago and she said it was  magic and like nothing that she had ever seen before.  I don;t have pictures from then.  Below picture is of a bush in front of our house.

2750.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I think that we have a different definition of paradise.  Mine does not include hurricanes.  Snow and cold winters are tolerated in return for no hurricanes.  I hope that Florida escapes the worst.

In my view, a chance of a liittle rain and wind every 15 years or so, sure beats sub zero weather and snow every single year...   from N West PA, ( where we expected snow from Halloween to Easter...) to Fla...

21 minutes ago, DS said:

In my view, a chance of a liittle rain and wind every 15 years or so, sure beats sub zero weather and snow every single year...   from N West PA, ( where we expected snow from Halloween to Easter...) to Fla...

I agree.  But the real 'paradise' is renting a place on the Gulf Coast for the winter (so someone else has to worry about hurricanes) and spending the rest of the year somewhere with moderate temps – and traveling as much as possible!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree.  But the real 'paradise' is renting a place on the Gulf Coast for the winter (so someone else has to worry about hurricanes) and spending the rest of the year somewhere with moderate temps – and traveling as much as possible!

Ah so.... but the question is two homes or more  cruises.... we've made our choice

Just now, DS said:

Ah so.... but the question is two homes or more  cruises.... we've made our choice

Having been seduced by the 'suite life,' renting a 3-bedroom house in Fairhope AL for 10 weeks costs less than a cruise.  That's the beauty of renting the second home!

I lived in upstate NY for 20yrs.  I gladly exchanged the slush, cold, snow, shoveling and gloomy weather for sunshine.   Even KY, which we loved, had gloomy dank winters.  We did the back and forth for a while, but one home made more sense. I do wish we didn’t have the hurricanes to worry about,   So today involves applying metal storm shutters to the windows and being glued to The Weather Channel!  I’ll let you know how we made out!  

This post will convince no one but I think “winter weather” is a variable concept.

If one is going to experience it, certainly it is best not to live where it is damp and dark with long periods of slush. That is depressing.

A better choice is where the temps are consistently below freezing, the snow remains firm and skiable, and hockey ponds remain frozen. Sure there is shovelling, but there are lots of the young and able-bodied who will take care of accumulations. And those frequent high pressure days of brilliant sun are priceless.

We also love the noticeable transition of seasons.

There are lots of resorts in Canada that attract visitors with a “real” winter. 😄

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nordski said:

A better choice is where the temps are consistently below freezing, the snow remains firm and skiable, and hockey ponds remain frozen. Sure there is shovelling, but there are lots of the young and able-bodied who will take care of accumulations. And those frequent high pressure days of brilliant sun are priceless.

We also love the noticeable transition of seasons

Sigh… I guess we are with you there. At least my DH is DECIDEDLY with you!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Sigh… I guess we are with you there. At least my DH is DECIDEDLY with you!

You will have to agree that in all of life’s most important decisions, who to propose to, where to live, he is a man of wisdom and good judgement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/26/2022 at 4:15 AM, KY Deb said:

I lived in upstate NY for 20yrs.  I gladly exchanged the slush, cold, snow, shoveling and gloomy weather for sunshine.   Even KY, which we loved, had gloomy dank winters.  We did the back and forth for a while, but one home made more sense. I do wish we didn’t have the hurricanes to worry about,   So today involves applying metal storm shutters to the windows and being glued to The Weather Channel!  I’ll let you know how we made out!  

Prayers for all our Florida Friends!!

• Like 2

We’re in Bonita Springs, Fl, just north of Naples. We are one mile to the beach. The very worst is past, but the wind is still howling and strong.  Earlier, we had a gutter come off and it went flying somewhere. The street is filled with horticulture debris. Our electricity has been off for 7 hours now and most likely will be out for several days, hopefully not longer. However, there is still a concern for rising water. Only a half mile away, cars are floating down the street. Still very worried here.

36 minutes ago, kent4489 said:

We’re in Bonita Springs, Fl, just north of Naples. We are one mile to the beach. The very worst is past, but the wind is still howling and strong.  Earlier, we had a gutter come off and it went flying somewhere. The street is filled with horticulture debris. Our electricity has been off for 7 hours now and most likely will be out for several days, hopefully not longer. However, there is still a concern for rising water. Only a half mile away, cars are floating down the street. Still very worried here.

Wow!  Thanks for the report.  Stay safe!  I hope you get your power back as quickly as possible.

48 minutes ago, kent4489 said:

Hopefully the worst is over for you and your home. News is reporting that it's the strongest hurricane your area has ever experienced? 

15 hours ago, kent4489 said:

Glad you didn’t sustain more damage and hope you continue to remain safe!!