Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

49 minutes ago, nordski said:

I’m not certain it’s safe to walk under that tree,

Now I have a new word to think about: “Wold”.

I can’t immediately think of a synonym we would use here, although we are near the source of 3 major local rivers (including the Humber).

So colloquially we are the “High County”. Could we work “Wold” into that?

We didn’t get too close to it!

The definition of Wolds is a term used in England to describe a range of hills which consists of open country overlying a base of limestone or chalk” (from Wikipedia).

The Wolds Way is a National Trail in Yorkshire. It runs 79 miles from Hessle to Filey, around the Yorkshire Wolds. At Filey Brigg, it connects with the Cleveland Way, another National Trail.  Our village is about 4 miles from the start of the Wolds Way - it runs along the north bank of the Humber past our village, then turns inland through Long Plantation and towards and into the Yorkshire Wolds.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Today’s walk was all on foot. We walked into the bit of the Wolds Way that’s near our house - it’s a wood called Long Plantation. Some beautiful bird-song. We also saw the ‘wood-pecker tree’ but they were either not at home, or very quiet - no tapping at all.

F90F79A4-0C48-43B7-8CC0-4207F6F580F2.jpeg

Looks like quite a few families live, or lived in that tree. ☺️

On 5/5/2020 at 3:24 AM, nordski said:

Wonderful. Looked up Hotham Hall and learned that it was/is up for sale although a bit out of our price range.

The sign concerning Ypres is poignant for Canadians. It was the location of the first major action for the 1st Division and the initial use of chlorine gas by the Germans.

I am now adding Hotham on our list of places to visit in Yorkshire.

This area holds a lot of interest for many Australians. We travelled and did a wonderful battlefields private tour and stayed in Ypres as my husbands grandfather was injured in the Battle of Polygon Wood on 26th Sepetmber 2017 assisting his dead mate. With the help of a letter written by him when he was recovering in hospital Weymouth in the UK we were able to trace the exact spot his was injured (he talked about the red line and the blue line etc).  We expect his injured friend, Dave Murphy is in an unmarked grave in the cementary close by. It's'now' a beautiful area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

This area holds a lot of interest for many Australians. We travelled and did a wonderful battlefields private tour and stayed in Ypres as my husbands grandfather was injured in the Battle of Polygon Wood on 26th Sepetmber 2017 assisting his dead mate. With the help of a letter written by him when he was recovering in hospital Weymouth in the UK we were able to trace the exact spot his was injured (he talked about the red line and the blue line etc).  We expect his injured friend, Dave Murphy is in an unmarked grave in the cementary close by. It's'now' a beautiful area.

Thanks for sharing this memory.  I 'liked' your post but that really didn't seem like the correct sentiment...

15 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We didn’t get too close to it!

The definition of Wolds is a term used in England to describe a range of hills which consists of open country overlying a base of limestone or chalk” (from Wikipedia).

The Wolds Way is a National Trail in Yorkshire. It runs 79 miles from Hessle to Filey, around the Yorkshire Wolds. At Filey Brigg, it connects with the Cleveland Way, another National Trail.  Our village is about 4 miles from the start of the Wolds Way - it runs along the north bank of the Humber past our village, then turns inland through Long Plantation and towards and into the Yorkshire Wolds.

You may now have retired has host but you are doing a great job for Yorkshire  tourism.

Looks as if our lockdown may be relaxed a little from Monday and we may be able to travel a little further for our walks.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

It’s an absolutely glorious day here today. Here are some more photos from our walk along the Humber bank and into Long Plantation wood this morning.

040DAF27-08A3-40F2-887A-292C484C39A6.thumb.jpeg.3f50a53663dec06d13376cb03074e561.jpegAs you can see, there’s quite a bit or erosion along the bank.

55D641E6-C3F6-4EC4-8B9A-446A5DEFA4DB.thumb.jpeg.69a0945037cd7a4732bb4f809e0fe5c3.jpegMay (Hawthorn) blossom in the wood. The scent of it was gorgeous.

1F4591D9-9F4D-4BAA-8A6A-A565A6573F43.thumb.jpeg.b759d0229fd3e775f700ce6d631ecc01.jpegThere are wild orchids growing in the wood - very pretty.

• Like 6

VE Day in the UK today. All sorts of events had been planned all over the country, but most had to be cancelled. However, all over the countries streets had ‘stay at home’ tea parties. Where we live was no exception. We live in a cul de sac , so no problems with us all assembling with our tables and chairs, suitably socially distanced, for afternoon tea (bring your own) this afternoon.5AA84072-5947-4E28-9EE9-AECD67A4CBA7.thumb.jpeg.88680ad7c3a59669ebf78d66f95e436e.jpeg

C62F447D-4B20-4672-9666-3A5FA4FA3F34.thumb.jpeg.f5665d7adfb2b262471be4b69e943a94.jpeg

• Like 6

Great idea.

On May 5th We had hoped to be in The Netherlands to commemorate the surrender of the German forces there to I Corp of the Canadian forces and its leader Charles Foulkes.

Ever since that capitulation there has been a “special bond” between the Dutch and Cansdians.

Fortunately, we were able to participate in some online activities.

It is sad that the 75th Anniversary was affected so deeply, since few of our veterans now remain and by the 80th Anniversary that number will inevitably have decreased even more.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, nordski said:

Great idea.

On May 5th We had hoped to be in The Netherlands to commemorate the surrender of the German forces there to I Corp of the Canadian forces and its leader Charles Foulkes.

Ever since that capitulation there has been a “special bond” between the Dutch and Cansdians.

Fortunately, we were able to participate in some online activities.

It is sad that the 75th Anniversary was affected so deeply, since few of our veterans now remain and by the 80th Anniversary that number will inevitably have decreased even more.

I didn’t post this correctly, but this was my walk this morning.

No, this isn’t normal, but what is these days?

437C2994-0E15-4D09-AA2E-72E31734F06C.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, nordski said:

I didn’t post this correctly, but this was my walk this morning.

No, this isn’t normal, but what is these days?

437C2994-0E15-4D09-AA2E-72E31734F06C.jpeg

Love  the picture, we don't have any snow but it has turned very cold after our recent warm spell of weather.

We had a couple of snow showers on Saturday [they say the 'Polar Vortex,' which keeps the cold air swirling over the North Pole until it doesn't, never dropped down over North America all winter – until now] but yesterday was warm and sunny.  Unfortunately that meant I could get out in the garden – so today I'm stiff and sore.  Thankfully today is cold and damp, so no temptation to go out again!

We have had a beautiful spring here in British Columbia, Canada. April was one of the driest on record but we still have beautiful May flowers. This is the view from my kitchen window.

And my neighbour who is an avid gardener.

5C98AAB1-4247-41EC-B93E-0D7C28569F4A.jpeg

9FBA5BD0-C4D2-4BE2-8058-0BCA39AAD3FE.jpeg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chilcotin said:

We have had a beautiful spring here in British Columbia, Canada. April was one of the driest on record but we still have beautiful May flowers. This is the view from my kitchen window.

And my neighbour who is an avid gardener.

5C98AAB1-4247-41EC-B93E-0D7C28569F4A.jpeg

9FBA5BD0-C4D2-4BE2-8058-0BCA39AAD3FE.jpeg

Love the flowers!

Today we only have daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths out, so this reminds us what we will eventually see.

• Like 3

Well, my smile this morning isn’t quite as broad as when we are boarding Pursuit, Journey, or Quest, nevertheless it reflects a happy development as we are now allowed access to our neighbourhood conservation area.

And although far from as grand as Hotham Hall, if form follows function then it was delightful to once again come upon our maple syrup “shack” deep in the woods.

On the lake, the Canadian Geese were creating a ruckus because they now have to share their environment. Lots of other birds singing in the trees. It was all powerfully uplifting.

369190EB-505F-4B27-A95D-CCEEA5111F0D.jpeg

E2AA8C62-6489-4EA8-A481-8012B30A5FC0.jpeg

24EF9F7C-BAED-4A02-A273-8476858081AF.jpeg

D6EE557F-E889-4905-8E0B-5B4B4DD3EC9E.jpeg

• Like 4

Here on Kauai, the beaches were opened -  with restrictions - on May 15.  This is Ke'e Beach on the island's North Shore, where an endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal hauled out for a little morning snooze.

Teri

Ke'e monk seal.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Looks beautiful, nordski, and so peaceful. Great that you can now enjoy it.

Thanks.

There is increasing science that being in surroundings like these is very good for relaxation and composure. I am certain that that is one of attractions of your Yorkshire countryside. Given the stress of the pandemic. some commentators are now questioning whether these areas ever should have been closed.

Conversely, it was necessary to reflect as to how the wildlife was reacting to the return of human presence, a presence they must find concerning.

• Like 2

We’ve had some restrictions eased. We can now go out to exercise outside more than once a day and can meet one member of another household in a public place so long as we keep two metres apart. Industries such as manufacturing and construction can open so long as they maintain safe working - social distancing and appropriate PPE. Those who can work from home are encouraged to continue to do so. We’re advised to wear masks in places where social distancing is difficult such as on public transport or in supermarkets. 

We’re still having our country walks. We went back to North Cave today to walk to Hotham Hall. Here’s a photo of the old ice house on the estate and of some sheep and lambs we saw.9961A132-49FC-4C4D-84FA-6C006DCB7D45.thumb.jpeg.40208cbabcb86ba14f4c3d3164f155cd.jpeg

967915E1-3C84-4B07-B5C8-D4855AB4EF10.thumb.jpeg.35c66b267de8391d637cdb858d2bb716.jpeg

• Like 2

We still await even being allowed to see our grandson at a distance. We can go for more than one exercise activity a day but otherwise we are still grounded unable to even drive to a further away exercise opportunity or walk. We may be allowed to meet one other family at a distance from next weekend but only if the data on Wednesday allows it 

My children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are still out of reach in two other states with closed borders.

At home however, restaurants are now open for dine in as well as take away, 10 patrons only at a time, with social distancing in place. We took advantage of this during the week and had a lovely meal at our favourite Thai place. There were two other couples when we arrived. They left before we did and were replaced by two more couples seated at the same tables after thorough cleansing and change of tablecloths.

There are no known cases of Covid-19 in our local council area, Eurobodalla Shire, which covers some 3,482 square kilometres.

Winter is almost upon us, a time when we like to travel to warmer climates . . . . .

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 2