****CARNIVAL CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE???

Host Carolyn

Hi Michigan again.  There's not a lot happening around here, so I'll be brief.  Most of the relevant numbers are showing a plateau both locally and statewide.  I'm happy things at least are not getting worse.  Maybe the summer weather will save us?

Also, several of the candidates for Governor have been denied places on the ballot because they didn't get enough valid signatures.  This is causing some consternation.  My personal view is to let 'em all irun our current Governor will likely whip them all - individually and/or collectively.

I have a cruise in two weeks, so I hope to test my protections against the virus and hope NOT to test the protocols on the Panorama.

• 3 weeks later...

Dekalb County GA.  June 19th, 2022-The senior center is still closed, but were beginning to have outdoor classes.  I caught up with my art class two Fridays ago,  this past week, it was back to on line class.   Two reasons, 1-ITS TOO HOT, and two, CDC Emory had a guest talker last week via zoom for the senior center, stating that the county is back to code red, to social distance and to wear your masks indoors.  Well we wore them outside at the class, but you cant really socially distance from each other when you are all sitting at a table.  Oh well, not into drawing still life off of a computer.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Dekalb County GA.  June 19th, 2022-The senior center is still closed, but were beginning to have outdoor classes.  I caught up with my art class two Fridays ago,  this past week, it was back to on line class.   Two reasons, 1-ITS TOO HOT, and two, CDC Emory had a guest talker last week via zoom for the senior center, stating that the county is back to code red, to social distance and to wear your masks indoors.  Well we wore them outside at the class, but you cant really socially distance from each other when you are all sitting at a table.  Oh well, not into drawing still life off of a computer.

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that it's 2 steps backwards for you. We belong to the local Y here in Arlington, and they've been open for 1.5 - 2 years. We belong to Silver Sneakers and go 4-5 days/week. 

I wish you the bestest! 

Here on Long Island, NY we haven't heard anything about covid numbers in weeks.  Seems all have given up.  Not a day goes by that we don't hear of a friend/relative/worker who has come down with covid.  Luckily all mild cases.  Have not gotten our 2nd booster yet - cardiologist says to wait until fall to see if combo flu/covid vaccine comes out, or just get 2nd booster then before weather turns cold and we all go indoors again.  We are going on the CCL Magic 6/28 out of NYC, then in August to the Galapagos for our 2x delayed bucket-list trip.  Interesting that we do not need any type of covid test  to get into Ecuador or back to U.S. anymore, but cruise ships still need testing to get on.  Hopefully this will change in near future.  We still wear masks on planes, though have gotten more lax with wearing them in stores, etc. 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, Joe817 said:

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that it's 2 steps backwards for you. We belong to the local Y here in Arlington, and they've been open for 1.5 - 2 years. We belong to Silver Sneakers and go 4-5 days/week. 

I wish you the bestest! 

I know.  It is interesting to hear about areas where things are just starting to open up or still have mask mandates.  Things here started to open back up after the first 45 days.  I think bars were the last and they were opened 6 months after it started.  We still see the occasional person wearing a mask in stores.  I don't remember the last time I saw any numbers about cases.  Several of my friends have come down with it in the last few months but for all of them it has been like a cold if they even had symptoms.  

I finally got a chance last night to watch the local news, they had a chart, of covid cases  and it looked like climbing a mountain and is staying at a plateau on the top.

And yes, right now my friends who were fully boosted, and getting covid say it's like a bad cold, but they could still give it to people that if they got it, could kill them,

Hi.  Michigan again.  Just a few quickie notes:

• Cases have been slowly moving down here, both locally and statewide
  • Our state was a part of the Carnival data breach mega settlement.  Our share is a big, huge, enormous $29,000. 🙄 

• Our Governor and AG have pledged not to enforce some old law about something-something.  Both are up for reelection, which is sure to make Election Day extra insane.  🙃  I'm getting out of the country for the week, on a cruise - though not on Carnival this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!  I know we all want to get back to our normal lives.  I just went on my 3rd CCL cruise since January, this time taking my dh with us. (always cruise with my special needs daughter.). It was dd and my Diamond cruise (finally!). CCL Magic out of NY 6/28.  Our other 2 cruises were at 40 and 60% capacity.   (masks required then on cruise.). Well, Magic was 100% capacity.  We wore our masks indoors all the time, and even outdoors if going through a crowd.  No elevators or handrails.  We used a ton of Purell, tried to socially distance our loungers, ate outside when possible, and got a socially distanced (as much as they could) table in your time dining. (worked very well for us).  There might have been 5% of people on the ship (besides crew) wearing masks.  Deck parties were jammed (we didn't even go - been to enough of them - lol!) 

There was a lot of coughing and sneezing going on on the ship by the end of the week.  Checking the FB page each day, I would have to say at least 50% of the people on the page are reporting having covid.  Remember - all tested negative before boarding.  Doesn't mean covid wasn't there - might have been brewing.  My family -all 3 of us - are still negative. (test every other day for now).  Too much coughing into hands, then touching serving spoons, handrails, etc. Saw it too many times.  Sooo - if cruising, or vacationing in near future - be safe, and hopefully you will return healthy!

• Like 2

Hi.  Michigan again.  Cases are starting to increase after several weeks of being stable or declining.

In other news, Pfizer is investing $120 million in their Kalamazoo plant so they can make more of the active ingredients in Paxlovid. You can read the press release at https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-invest-120-million-produce-covid-19-oral-treatment .

On a personal note, the cruise on Carnival I was supposed to go on last month went... but I wasn't on it.  Long story, made a post about it.  I'll eventually get back to Carnival, but it might be a while.

Here in NW Florida.  Have no idea of covid numbers - just not in the news.  Still have not had to wear a mask for over a year.  High prices seem to dominate what everyone talks about.  Most places seem to have adequate, although overworked employees.   Have made plans for trips this fall.  No cruises booked because the protocols we object to have not been lifted yet.  

• Like 2

Barbados still maintains a daily dashboard of number of tests and number of positive cases, as well as how many people are sick enough to be in our dedicated Covid hospital and how many are in home isolation. Numbers are definitely increasing again, I am guessing as a result of the new Omicron sub variants as well as large gatherings finally being allowed again. Our positivity rate is around 40% now, but that's largely because we aren't doing much random testing now, so most of the tests are already suspected cases anyway. We had an uptick in deaths (mainly old people, majority unvaccinated) earlier in the year, but it has tapered off to an occasional basis now.  

We still have a mask mandate in place for all indoor locations, though in private offices people relax that to varying degrees depending on office set-up and employee comfort levels/risk assessment. I'm not comfortable in crowds on a regular basis, because I really don't want the disruption of an isolation period right now. I visited South Florida in June and did not wear a mask once, and attended a concert and went into multiple shopping malls. But I was prepared to catch Covid on that occasion, and wouldn't you know I did not! I have never knowingly had Covid, though I suppose some of my sinus issues (from allergies) could have been a hidden Covid infection. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 12:08 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Breaking news... Our Governor has finally come down with the disease of the decade. Mild symptoms.

Seems everyone in our local government had covid in the last few weeks also - NYC politicians had it a while ago.   DH and DD (DD lives in NYC) also had it for 2nd time a few weeks ago.  I escaped it, as did other dd.  Just back from Galapagos (land visit in Ecuador and cruise on 100 person expedition ship around islands) and so far healthy - but we wore masks in all airports, on planes, in hotels, and stayed outdoors on ship as much as possible.  Masks are still mandatory in Ecuador/Galapagos indoors, and many wore masks outdoors.  Hoping when school begins in 2 weeks we don't have another burst of covid.  Waiting for 2nd booster until we get a bit closer to indoor activity in the fall.

• Like 1

Breaking news from Michigan.  (insert ticker noises here) Remember those two... people that were accused of plotting to kidnap and kill our Governor, went to trial, and the jury didn't reach a verdict?  They were given their retrial, and a different jury of their peers found them guilty.  I know at least one person is going to be breathing a lot easier today and possibly doing a little private celebration which may or may not involve adult beverages. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, asalligo said:

Everything back to completely normal now in my part of Florida. Have not even heard of anyone with Covid for quite a while now. 

Just went for pedicure yesterday.  Owner and 3 workers came down with it Saturday.  It is definitely still around here, but mostly just "a cold."   Masks are gone - even I have stopped wearing one, though we will wear them in the airport and on plane tomorrow for our flight to FLL.  Boxscore:  DD31 had covid 2x, DH had it 2x, dd34 and I had it 1x.   We have friends/clients who have had covid 3x, and one friend just had it for 4th time - even being fully vaxed and boosted! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Just went for pedicure yesterday.  Owner and 3 workers came down with it Saturday.  It is definitely still around here, but mostly just "a cold."   Masks are gone - even I have stopped wearing one, though we will wear them in the airport and on plane tomorrow for our flight to FLL.  Boxscore:  DD31 had covid 2x, DH had it 2x, dd34 and I had it 1x.   We have friends/clients who have had covid 3x, and one friend just had it for 4th time - even being fully vaxed and boosted! 

I've had to do an unusual amount of running around in the past month - mostly maskless, and I encountered a relatively low percentage of people who were wearing them.  Oh well, I wear my mask for my own reasons, and others do or don't for their own reasons.  I'm at peace with it.

Thank you very much for your boxscore.  I should quiz those closest to me about this, though I feel it's a little sensitive for even that group.  Anyway, I've had it once (mild symptoms but lingered for a few days), got both doses of the vaccine (almost no symptoms other than a sore arm), got a booster (ditto), and have an appointment for the latest booster on Friday.  Wish me luck! 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Anyway, I've had it once (mild symptoms but lingered for a few days), got both doses of the vaccine (almost no symptoms other than a sore arm), got a booster (ditto), and have an appointment for the latest booster on Friday.  Wish me luck! 🙏

Good luck!  Upon speaking to my internist, cardiologist and pharmacist we decided to wait on the latest booster.  They said it was only 40% effective, and no real studies were done on humans receiving it as to side effects, and more important- long term side effects.  Let us know how it went.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:53 PM, asalligo said:

Everything back to completely normal now in my part of Florida. Have not even heard of anyone with Covid for quite a while now. 

My part of Florida too.  You will occasionally see someone wear a mask.  All of the signs on the floors are gone.  A few of my friends had it a few months ago but no one recently.  We have never had it.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning!  Just an update from Long Island, NY.  Masks are becoming more prevalent again in stores.  We went to a wedding Sunday afternoon.  On Tuesday 3 of the 4 friends we hung with the whole wedding (and sat next to) had covid.  Yesterday the groom's mom (one of our best friends - spent a lot of time with her at wedding) came down with it and today her hubby feels ill.  As of now dh and I feel fine.  Wondering how many others at the wedding have it.  Got our flu shots Monday - wondering if this somehow "helped" us not coming down with covid.  Was going to hold off on the bivalent booster, but now have decided to go for it before cold weather drives everyone indoors.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on my state when I'm nowhere near it:

* Cases are dropping, but deaths remain stubbornly high

* Our Governor survived her election, and her party is in charge of that office, the house, and the senate for the first time in 40 years. We're not sure what it means yet; we'll all have to stay tuned.

* We're due to get our first cold blast of the season in time for my return

* Masks were a rare sight when I left and there's no reason they will be any more popular over the next few weeks 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Quick update on my state when I'm nowhere near it:

* Cases are dropping, but deaths remain stubbornly high

* Our Governor survived her election, and her party is in charge of that office, the house, and the senate for the first time in 40 years. We're not sure what it means yet; we'll all have to stay tuned.

* We're due to get our first cold blast of the season in time for my return

* Masks were a rare sight when I left and there's no reason they will be any more popular over the next few weeks 

-No idea what our death rates are here.  Not being publicly announced that I can find

-Our Governor also survived her election, making her the first elected Governor in NY

-It has been on and off cold here.   Last week we had 73 degrees- new record for November

-Flu has hit hot and heavy already.  People who are getting it are knocked for a loop.  Hoping

covid doesn't come back hot and heavy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where we live in Southern Utah we were probably one of the first places to start re-opening up and resuming a semi-normal life. I don't think we were ever hit too hard here. Even considering we had a lot of people coming here to visit or even relocate from California and Nevada. I knew of some severe cases but most were in the high risk categories with either age or pre-existing conditions or both. When people were allowed to choose not masking most would not choose to wear one. Honestly, we sometimes did depending on what was coming up. Like if Christmas was around the corner or a trip then we'd mask up. We sail soon but I've been crappy this time at remembering to mask up when in public indoor spaces like sya Costco. I'd planned on it, tbh. It's just harder for me to remember since pretty much nobody here around me is wearing them now.

Edited by oyme
  • Like 1