Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And I suspect your lives may not have always been so atraightforward. 😀 Mind you, it is quite nice in South Dorset as well. And I think there may be a fair amount of dancing here.

If we were expelled from France we (I) would never return to Scotland. South Dorset might be an option, although I'd probably be looking to be nearer the short channel crossings and Gatwick/Heathrow.

I've known for at least 35 years that I didn't want to live in Scotland all my life. 

• Like 2

Just now, D&N said:

If we were expelled from France we (I) would never return to Scotland. South Dorset might be an option, although I'd probably be looking to be nearer the short channel crossings and Gatwick/Heathrow.

I've known for at least 35 years that I didn't want to live in Scotland all my life. 

Bournemouth to Heathrow is surprisingly straightforward, but Gatwick is a nightmare. Poole to Cherbourg overnight is painless. And Bournemouth Airport is expending…again. Not brilliant in the gourmet stakes though.

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Bournemouth to Heathrow is surprisingly straightforward, but Gatwick is a nightmare. Poole to Cherbourg overnight is painless. And Bournemouth Airport is expending…again. Not brilliant in the gourmet stakes though.

Hopefully that situation will never arise. I think the French tax people quite like us and that will only get better as Nora gets older! But I do like to have contingency plans at the back of my mind!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Not brilliant in the gourmet stakes though.

TBH we don't really go out for gourmet here. We can eat superb food and drink great wines at home.

Going out is more for dressing up and people watching. In a way; entertainment. And like yesterday, the venue. We don't have a balcony view of the bay of Cannes and the Îles de Lérins.

There was a Soirée Blanche at our local marina tonight. My wife had bought a white gown/maxi dress for an Ice White Gala next year, but then we decided we'd prefer to return to QM2 and it will be accessorised to suit a Black & White Gala. But it got a run out tonight.

I was a bit disappointed, some folk were not wearing white and the restaurants didn't turn them away and tell them to come back having changed into white. 🤣🤣

A7C07932crop.thumb.JPG.1310086c33f9993977b4cad24a603bd1.JPG

• Like 3

@Lanky Lad, I don't know if you play the word game "Wordle" which has been all the rage the past few years. If you do, I expect you'll appreciate today's Wordle word (in the original version acquired by and now curated by the New York Times). I understand the game has a UK connection with its Welsh creator Josh Wardle.

13 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@Lanky Lad, I don't know if you play the word game "Wordle" which has been all the rage the past few years. If you do, I expect you'll appreciate today's Wordle word (in the original version acquired by and now curated by the New York Times). I understand the game has a UK connection with its Welsh creator Josh Wardle.

I haven't played for a while but had to try today. Got it on third attempt.  Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 10:07 PM, D&N said:

There was a Soirée Blanche at our local marina tonight. My wife had bought a white gown/maxi dress for an Ice White Gala next year, but then we decided we'd prefer to return to QM2 and it will be accessorised to suit a Black & White Gala. But it got a run out tonight.

I was a bit disappointed, some folk were not wearing white and the restaurants didn't turn them away and tell them to come back having changed into white. 🤣🤣

A7C07932crop.thumb.JPG.1310086c33f9993977b4cad24a603bd1.JPG

11 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I haven't played for a while but had to try today. Got it on third attempt.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Okay, I gave up Wordle a while back.  What was today’s answer?

Neither does mine!

5unswl.jpg.917ace9e42e223b09354e8bd50c3ba65.jpg

Please forgive the belly. She's been out of work for nine months, after breaking my back. Joke's on her - saddle fitter is coming at the weekend and she's going to have to actually do some work again! Ha!

Edited by Clewgarnet
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Neither does mine!

Please forgive the belly. She's been out of work for nine months, after breaking my back. Joke's on her - saddle fitter is coming at the weekend and she's going to have to actually do some work again! Ha!

Similar to the boy I posted. 
He’s not mine but I know he has been out of work for a while due to various issues the owner has had to deal with. He is a lovely boy though and very sweet. 

• Like 3

We’ve recently returned from a break in Queen Anne - I say “in” rather than “on” as Queen Anne is the name of the room whose windows you can see above the entrance in this photo. Despite the many positive reviews of Cunard’s Queen Anne I have yet to persuade a sceptical Mr K, so it looks like this land-based QA will be the nearest we get! 

It’s been a busy few months with QM2 to the fjords in June, the UK general election and then the Olympics keeping me occupied, plus the boring stuff like going to work and doing the domestic chores. And next week our shower room gets refurbished. Hoorah - goodbye to grotty grouting! 

Nothing else booked with Cunard at the moment so need to try and find some time to look through itineraries to see if anything appeals.

IMG_4618.jpeg

• Like 6

The peak of August has descended on South East Texas with an air temp of 101f (38+c) this afternoon. The pool looked tempting so I got in. Almost immediately I realized the Pool Man had put acid in the pool today, but didn't note it on the door hanger. I got out a bit irritated but non the worse for wear after a brief shower. 

I have been away from CC for a week or so. I carelessly let Microsoft upgrade my desk top operating system to windows 11, and my log-in did not work. After getting aol Gold loaded on my laptop and getting my password reset I was able to get into windows 11, and reset my pin. Lots of shortcuts were missing and had to be rebuilt. 

I am a bit of a troglodyte on technology which is probably explained by the fact that I spent 40 years in the industry, so I like things to stay the same, but alas they don't. But I am back and have read posts of old pals and some new faces. It's good to be back.

In a week or so, our Brit friends will be having their late summer Bank Holiday, and we will enjoy Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer. Time moves on and seems to be quicker the older you get.

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 7

They tasted great. The boys ate them as fast as they pulled them. Alas, the strawberries, green beans, and peas are done but the tomatoes are finally turning red and they love to pick them as well. This is fun!

• Like 1