Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Yes- we are hopeful about the news of the vaccines... As we are in our mid 40s and without known health concerns, I am figuring we will be in the last group... but I really want my grandfather who is 98 and my mom and aunt who take care of him to get vaccines as soon as possible. That is very important to me.

Any steps towards seeing some light in this tunnel is a good thing.

Lobster for Thanksgiving?  I would almost never say no to lobster, but the two of us look forward to our traditional 12 lb turkey every year so we can feast on leftovers for the following week.  The menu never varies much; Mr Alc is a traditionalist.  No autumnal kale salads on his Thanksgiving plate.

6 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

NBT I think you might have just insulted my ancestor Isaac Allerton who was a Pilgrim. Seriously, the Lobsters are always a good choice. I have made it a point to have two steamed lobster tails on the last night of any QM2 voyage. I just got a call from Willliams Sonoma telling me that they had to substitute a non certified organic, (for the ordered certified organic) pre-brined fresh Turkey to be delivered Tuesday. Apparently the certification for the farm did not come in soon enough.  The left overs don't last for more than one day around my abode. So its a traditional Thanksgiving in Magnolia, TX this year 339 years after the first one. 

Aaaah! -- it is the spirit, and not the substance, which should take precedence.  Two people at a table groaning under the weight of even a small turkey is just a depressing reminder.  Better to not let the type of critter dominate the occasion.

The last of the pre Thanksgiving grocery shopping is done. I am expecting the Williebird, organic pre-brined fresh turkey to arrive from Petaluma, CA tomorrow. Driving through the Woodlands to Trader Joe's says fall is pretty much over, The leaves are mostly fallen, and the pine trees have their bright green needles, having dropped last year's now red.

My mower on Friday had his thatching blade on his mower so the leaves and ample pine needles are mulched back into lawn to provide organic matter for next year. 

The only pre-Thanksgiving task remaining is to clean to ovens (ug!) Actually the ovens clean them selves, the oven racks don't. That's on tomorrow's schedule. Then it's the preparation for Christmas. Everyone is getting food or drink this year except my Brother in Law who is getting Weathertech Gloves, to be used when fueling his vehicle, so he doesn't have to touch the pump, which will add one more level of safety. 

The high 70's f have cooled into the low 60'sf, so it feels a bit more like the weather should be. We would love some slow drizzly winter rain about now. I hope our U.K friends are getting through their lockdowns. I heard Boris pontificating on the radio this morning about more rules when the lockdown is over. Bring on the Vaccines. 

I expect my area will be in the highest tier, but hopefully, if the numbers keep dropping we can move down to tier 2. 

I have managed to get a home delivery tomorrow so I don't need to go out shopping. 

They are hoping that everyone in the UK who wants one will have had a vaccine by April.  Lets hope that is correct.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I expect my area will be in the highest tier, but hopefully, if the numbers keep dropping we can move down to tier 2. 

I have managed to get a home delivery tomorrow so I don't need to go out shopping. 

They are hoping that everyone in the UK who wants one will have had a vaccine by April.  Lets hope that is correct.

I will drink to that LL, and for the US as well. And I think you recommended Sarson's malt vinegar to go with my 'store bought' Fish and Chips. I had to visit my local Brit food store today as the 150,000 square foot super duper market could not find any shelf space for HP Sauce, and the British Depot had Sarson's as well HP. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

I will drink to that LL, and for the US as well. And I think you recommended Sarson's malt vinegar to go with my 'store bought' Fish and Chips. I had to visit my local Brit food store today as the 150,000 square foot super duper market could not find any shelf space for HP Sauce, and the British Depot had Sarson's as well HP. 

I hope you like the Sarson's and the HP sauce. I would not put the HP sauce on fish and chips though.

53 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Thanksgiving checkist:

turkey in fridge

no snow yet

we, friends and family healthy

All good here.  Wishing everyone the same!

Same Here, except we finally had rain overnight, good. It's been a heck of a year for all of us. There is hope with the vaccines, so we can truly say our thanks this year. 

To all who have participated in this thread with fellowship, support and humor, and to our intrepid leader Host Hattie, A very happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 5

Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow to everyone who celebrates. I'm sure it will be different for a lot of people this year but I hope you can all make the best of the day.

Here it's just another Thursday, back to work on site for me.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:44 PM, Kynance said:

I hope you’ll share a photo of the 2020 one in due course. 🎅🏻🎄

No photos yet, but I've decided to do Christmas trees this year.

Following this weeks announcemnt (No more than three households over the holiday period) and a quick poll of family and friends it looks like everyone will be having much smaller gatherings this year. As a result I've got SEVEN cakes to make! 😲

On the plus side I've managed to repurpose a wedding cake I was left with following a twice postponed wedding so only four to actually bake.

Despite having worked in metric units all my adult life I still think in feet and inches, pounds and ounces. That's my excuse for buying twice as much sugar as I needed.😄

More rain today so today's family tree research project was the will of a distant relative who died in 1900. He had three sons and left each of them a pair of curling stones (with handles!!!). He also had an illegitemate daughter with the woman next door and he left her the house. To add insult to injury, as the daughter had already married and emigrated to the USA, the eldest son was charged with the maintenance of the property as long as the daughter owned it. If he objected he didn't get the curling stones😮.  Happy Families anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One occasionally sees a post which reinforces cliches - I would like to hear the “rest of the story”:   was that oldest son willing to give up those curling stones to save himself a lifetime of drudgery?  Would his two brothers have loaned him one of theirs had he done so?  And, what sort of usage fees would they have charged if tales of Caledonian miserliness have truth?

Please - do not leave us hanging.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow to those who celebrate it.

Happy Thursday to everyone else 😀

Thanks Mr Lad.  If you can, have some turkey.  But really, every day is a good day to give thanks!

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One occasionally sees a post which reinforces cliches - I would like to hear the “rest of the story”:  

Cliches come into existence for a reason.😄

I don't know the rest of the story. Yet.

It would appear that a few years later the middle and younger son have their own homes. It also looks like the eldest owns several houses in the village, although whether any of them is the 'sister's house', I don't know. I wonder if he had already started building a 'property empire' before the father's death. It would then make sense for him to look after the house.

More digging required.

I hope everyone who is celebrating Thanksgiving today is having the best day they can possibly have, in light of this extraordinary year we have all been living through. 

We have the local neighbourhood festive light switch on this weekend. We are also going to have a community Christmas tree for the first time this year - which brings me nicely to @Colin_Cameron - very much looking forward to seeing your cakes when they are ready! 🎄🌲🎅🏻 

My local area is going to be in Tier 2 from December 3rd - it won’t make a lot of difference to me and I had already resigned myself to not seeing family or friends this Christmas.  However, I’ll be able to get my haircut next week (hurrah!) and look forward to a leisurely couple of weeks off work over the festive season to read, listen to music and enjoy some quality time at home. 

Edited by Kynance
Typo

On 11/26/2020 at 3:19 AM, Host Hattie said:

Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow to everyone who celebrates. I'm sure it will be different for a lot of people this year but I hope you can all make the best of the day.

Here it's just another Thursday, back to work on site for me.

It was just another Thursday for us here in Australia too.  But it is summertime, and it was a sunny 32c here in Brisbane.  The wife and I made sliced turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce in honour of our American mates.  Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Like 2

Happy Friday everyone, I hope those of you celebrating had a good Thanksgiving.

The temperature has dropped here over the last couple of days so I've had an icy car in the mornings. 

Although our firebreak worked, cases are rising again in some areas so some additional restrictions will be brought in next Friday. Indoor entertainment will have to close and the rules for hospitality will be announced on Monday. It's not unexpected and won't affect us much.

Good cold here in Lancashire, forecast for tonight is about freezing. Shops here can open next Thursday, but not pubs, cafes or restaurants. That has not gone down well.

The good news is that figures all over Lancashire are coming down so with luck we might move from tier 3 to tier 2 meaning more things can be open.  I am glad I don't have to make decisions about what can open or not.  It really is a thankless task and what ever you do will be wrong for someone.