Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

We have a Cunard voyage booked for summer 2022- can’t wait… but we did decide yesterday to also book a short cruise on a different line for this January as a small relaxing getaway. (We found an excellent price on a US Labor Day sale.)

Although the short trip in January will not be our beloved Cunard experience (because nothing else is Cunard) , we will look forward to being back on a ship, sitting on our balcony, and sleeping like babies on the waves.

• Like 1

How exciting @naturelovergirl, last day of work for me tomorrow before a week off. Only going to West Wales but hopefully we'll get chance to relax and enjoy the house.

In one of those small world moments I found out that one of the residents of our village (approximate population 800) was one half of one of the singing groups on our last Queen Elizabeth cruise in 2019 !

• Like 3

Our local Railway company Northern Railways, had a special promotion selling tickets for £1. I managed to get one so went to Liverpool today. Bad timing as QE is there tomorrow. The weather was fine and warm so I had a good time and it was nice to be on a train again.

Although I didn't see QE, I did get see Fred Olson's new ship Borealis which used to be Rotterdam.

• Like 2

I'm tempted (oh horror of horrors!) to book a cruise on another line. Simply put, it's been far too long since we've been on a cruise. I've been waiting to see QM2 actually resume crossings until making another booking with Cunard. I think it's still an open question when that will actually happen and by that time, it may be difficult to find good availability on QM2 anytime soon.

Will you all take me back if I jump ship for a cruise out of the US on Viking? 🙂 I know it can't possibly replace QM2, but it looks like a good (almost domestic) cruise alternative for those like us stuck over here in the US without Cunard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'm tempted (oh horror of horrors!) to book a cruise on another line. Simply put, it's been far too long since we've been on a cruise. I've been waiting to see QM2 actually resume crossings until making another booking with Cunard. I think it's still an open question when that will actually happen and by that time, it may be difficult to find good availability on QM2 anytime soon.

Will you all take me back if I jump ship for a cruise out of the US on Viking? 🙂 I know it can't possibly replace QM2, but it looks like a good (almost domestic) cruise alternative for those like us stuck over here in the US without Cunard.

Yes... all of us who live in the US are certainly waiting to see (if and when) Cunard sailings actually happen. 

And Yes... that is why, even though we are booked through Cunard for next summer, we booked on another line for a mini trip for January. We are ready to be back on a ship, for certain. Plus, we want to see how the process goes... possible testing, paperwork, protocols... everything.

I've never cruised on Viking... but everyone that I know who has loved it.

They say that the experience is lovely and that the food is excellent.

The formality of Cunard would be different on Viking... but from everything I have heard from others, Viking may not be formal but it is very refined.

Edited by naturelovergirl
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Only if you promise to tell us what it was like !

When are you planning to go ?

I'm looking at the Christmas cruise to Hawaii out of Los Angeles. Plenty of sea days, similar to a crossing, plus visits to four of the Hawaiian Islands. Throw in Ensenada for good measure on the return trip just to satisfy the requirement for a foreign port.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well I've done it. We're booked on Viking Orion for the Christmas Cruise to Hawaii out of Los Angeles. Will definitely provide some feedback about on it this forum. Perhaps something along the lines of the Viking experience from the perspective of a diehard Cunard rower.

We, here in Hawaii, will be happy to have you visit our lovely state over Christmas.   Great choice. Oahu, my Cruise Critic name, is the name of the island where Honolulu is.

58 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We went to Freshwater East yesterday so I could swim in the sea, it was "refreshing", Mr HH very sensibly stayed on the beach ! We managed to get lunch on our third attempt at Lawrenny Quay.

IMG_20210917_125740_124.jpg

IMG_20210916_145720509_HDR.jpg

58 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We went to Freshwater East yesterday so I could swim in the sea, it was "refreshing", Mr HH very sensibly stayed on the beach ! We managed to get lunch on our third attempt at Lawrenny Quay.

IMG_20210917_125740_124.jpg

IMG_20210916_145720509_HDR.jpg

At least you had sand on that beach - but I am too soft to swim on your side - about 70 F is the coolest I like - and prefer St. Maarten’s 80 F on our January trips.   My nephew, however, is something else - now in a rental cottage near Otter Ferry on Loch Fyne - yes his lot all have wet suits, but still….

Hello from south west Cornwall where we are staying for a week, in the village of Coverack.  For those of you in the UK, it was featured in this week’s edition of Michael Portillo’s travel programme “Coastal Devon and Cornwall”.  We have been coming here for 17 years and I never tire of shouting “I can see the sea!” as we come down the hill on arrival after our long drive.

After finishing packing on Thursday night I took the plunge and booked a 4 night break to Hamburg on QM2 for next October. I only had to pay a low deposit and won’t have to pay the balance until mid July next year, so that gives plenty of time to see how life is shaping up by next summer. If it looks like many of the restrictions & protocols which are currently in place for cruises are hanging about in 12 months time then I will move the booking or worst ways lose the deposit - however, I’m keeping my fingers crossed and feeling a little bit excited about the prospect of being back on board for the first time since November 2019.

In the meantime, here’s the view from the terrace where I’m writing.

AFE676BE-B8B9-48C7-B013-9F6F560CE450.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ray66 said:

We love Cornwall too and used to go every year before covid. North Wales in our caravan for us now.

Is that cruise ship on the horizon P&O's Britannia by any chance?

Ray66 - well spotted! I’m afraid I don’t know. I had the binoculars out today but only much later. Normally we only see cargo ships & fishing vessels so I was obviously half asleep (and staring into the sun), when I took that photo.

Glad you’re a fan of Cornwall too. Coverack is a little off the beaten track but definitely worth the trip. I do heartily recommend the whole of the Lizard Peninsula to anyone who is looking at coming to the south west. If you are a gardener, there are many beautiful gardens to visit in the area too.

Glad to see lots of people enjoying the coast in different parts of the UK. We were also by the sea today, in the east, Sheringham in North Norfolk. We had a swim and a paddle. The sea was so calm and wasn't very cold at all. Probably the last chance we will get to go in the sea this year. And we really enjoyed it.

20210918_124629.thumb.jpg.2612807288f23cf8d403ea25cf3be553.jpg

• Like 2

This ship was seen from a distance whilst we were at Kynance Cove yesterday. We tried to identify it when we got to our cottage (there is no Wi-fi or mobile signal at the Cove) but have been unable to do so.  It looks like a smaller, older vessel.  Any guesses from anyone??

I think we also saw Regal Princess crossing Coverack Bay last night, illuminated against the night sky. 

1033B321-A05E-4CF0-A614-210E7DF8A245.jpeg