Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, alc13 said:

@Camgirl - I only just caught up with the thread - I hope you are feeling better by now! 

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your good wishes. I'm pleased to say today is the first day I have truly felt I'm on the mend. I am still coughing and pretty breathless but have been able to walk round much more without gasping for breath. I think it will be a while before I am at full strength again, which is frustrating. However, I'm definately on the way, and that has to be good.

Unfortunately, yesterday one of my cats suffered a blocked bladder, and is in at the vets for sorting out. What a family! We don't do things by half! Hoping to be bringing him home later this evening.

Hope all is good with you all. Stay safe!

Nice to hear from you @Camgirl and I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope your cat is home soon and not too cross about his trip to the vet.😿.

We're in Pembrokeshire only for a night, it's very mild for the time of year so we managed lunch outside this afternoon.

Here's our niece and her new husband from earlier this week

FB_IMG_1633456913889.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, Camgirl said:

Well, things didn't go quite to plan for us. We had to return home from Southampton on the Friday as I tested positive for covid.

Turns out I have had/got severe covid and I ended up in hospital for most of yesterday. Thankfully, I am home now with a raft of drugs and orders to monitor my sats carefully. Thank heavens I had had the vaccine! I also have a chest infection, which would not have been helping. It all got a bit frightening yesterday, but I feel a lot better already today.

If anyone out there has not had the vaccine yet. Please, please get it now. It could save your life. 

Sorry to hear - but it is good to see a report on the efficacy of vaccination.  It still amazes me to see how many reset shots.

Please take care of yourself - and let us know how you are doing.  One of my sons (vaccinated) and two grandchildren (not vaccinated) seem fully recovered - hopefully with no lingering effects.

It has been a mild and bright weekend here in west Berkshire - so perfect for some Christmas shopping today! 🤣. If you’re groaning at that, you’ll probably do so even more if I say I ordered my turkey from Waitrose on 29 September when their festive ordering service opened!! 🎄🎅🏻😊

I did mow the lawn when I got home though as Mr Kynance was upstairs working today. I also changed the display of plants on our small patio from sunflowers and echinacea to a more appropriate autumn display of skimmia japonica “magic marlot” and bonsai cotoneasters - which have a flush or beautiful red berries. We’re getting some good colour on our miniature acers too.

Looking forward to more lovely days like today and the chance of some woodland walks too.

Have a good week everyone. 

21 hours ago, Kynance said:

It has been a mild and bright weekend here in west Berkshire - so perfect for some Christmas shopping today! 🤣. If you’re groaning at that, you’ll probably do so even more if I say I ordered my turkey from Waitrose on 29 September when their festive ordering service opened!! 🎄🎅🏻😊

I did mow the lawn when I got home though as Mr Kynance was upstairs working today. I also changed the display of plants on our small patio from sunflowers and echinacea to a more appropriate autumn display of skimmia japonica “magic marlot” and bonsai cotoneasters - which have a flush or beautiful red berries. We’re getting some good colour on our miniature acers too.

Looking forward to more lovely days like today and the chance of some woodland walks too.

Have a good week everyone. 

Kynance, thanks for the reminder. I ordered my WillieBird pre-brined organic turkey from Williams Sonoma today to be delivered Thanksgiving Week. I also ordered a couple of jars of steamed French Chestnuts, one for the Thanksigiving dressing and the other for the Christmas Cream of Chestnut soup.

With the headlines shouting about shortages of Christmas goods due to the west coast port jam-up, I am getting an early start on the Holidays this year. And this year feels more like a 'normal' holiday season. 

On 10/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, Host Hattie said:

Here's our niece and her new husband from earlier this week

A lovely couple.  I admire especially his pink tie, so perfectly matched to the roses in her bouquet (and of course the rosebud in his lapel) .  A happy photo.

Here's a bit of fun and/or puzzlement for today while I'm imagining booking a future Cunard cruise. This is what the Cunard US website is showing me for sheltered balcony fares on QM2's Jan 3-10, 2022 eastbound crossing.

Something tells me "Our Lowest Fare" isn't. 🙄

923075925_ShelteredBalconyFaresM202QM2Jan3-102022.thumb.png.ff88d86dbef390a800a43b7f0467842d.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, boblemur said:

My grandson found a masked that he likes.

masked.jpg.49c19580c27c747af29e6940aece4187.jpg

Our 3 year old grandson loved your picture. I can’t get him to wear a mask! He immediately recognized the cup we call, “orange milk”. It is the only cup he will drink from.

• Like 1

One of our grandson’s favorites is ‘Alexa, call Grandma Sue,’ his great grandmother confined to a wheelchair and paralyzed on one side. They have great conversations sharing pictures, trucks, and raising eyebrows while wearing great great grandpa’s hat. That technology has really changed her outlook on life. It also allows him to listen to any Blippi song he wants!

• Like 1

I'm attending a conference this week, the majority of delegates are in Liverpool but I'm watching from my own living room. Biggles seemed interested in Collective Bargaining yesterday !

It's been very mild for October but temperatures are forecast to drop later in the week.

IMG_20211018_161237396_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

As some of you may remember, I act as caretaker for a long term pal who suffered from Bladder cancer and survived. The chemotherapy has left his mind confused. He went to visit his Dad in California for a long weekend. The first evening he called me asking how to inject his insulin (he is also diabetic). His visit was a test of his ability to take care of himself for two weeks while I would be away. 

Unfortunately the test didn't work out as we planned and I have decided to cancel my 2022 voyages. I called my wonderful Travel Agent last Monday and she handled the cancellation. One of the voyages was completely prepaid, so I was pleasantly surprised when a nearly full amount was credited to my Visa account on Friday. 

Also, I am getting my Moderna booster shot tomorrow. 

I knew I would not be able to enjoy my voyages with worry about his possible health issues while I was a way. Am I disappointed, yes, but when he was first diagnosed, I made a promise to help as long as it was needed, and I will.  

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 4

What a shame @Bigmike911 and I'm so sorry for those who have had plans on Queen Elizabeth.

Another working week over, it's still mild but we had lots of rain and wind yesterday and earlier today.

Biggles gave us a scare this week, on Tuesday evening he was having trouble walking and cried if you tried to touch his back legs. A trip to the vet and an antibiotic injection and he was back to hunting and general mayhem yesterday !

Have a good weekend everyone

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, Host Hattie said:

Biggles gave us a scare this week, on Tuesday evening he was having trouble walking and cried if you tried to touch his back legs. A trip to the vet and an antibiotic injection and he was back to hunting and general mayhem yesterday !

Worrying! What age is Biggles?

2 hours ago, D&N said:

Worrying! What age is Biggles?

He's a rescue so we're not entirely sure, probably 4 or 5, we've had him for almost 2 years. Not old enough to have learned not to fight with the neighbourhood bully that's for sure !

He's back to his normal self.

It's a very wet and windy Halloween tonight, stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

The clocks went back here yesterday, it was nice that it was light as I was driving to work this morning, not quite so great that the sun was setting as I drove home.

The last booked guests at our holiday home left yesterday but our agent tells us that people tend to book late at this time of year. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:23 PM, Host Hattie said:

He's a rescue so we're not entirely sure, probably 4 or 5, we've had him for almost 2 years. Not old enough to have learned not to fight with the neighbourhood bully that's for sure !

He's back to his normal self.

It's a very wet and windy Halloween tonight, stay safe everyone.

You realize, of course, that cats lie about their age whenever they can --- in fact have you ever known a cat who will really open up  on ANY personal matter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3