Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Update to this, Mr HH won't be making his booster appointment as he has Covid 😿.

I'm still hoping to have mine on Sunday as long as I don't develop it in the meantime.

I hope Mr HH has no problem with his Covid. I have heard that if you have two shots of the regular even if you get Covid it is mild. I hope that is the case with Mr HH.

• Thanks 1

Thankgiving dawned with a down pour. It went on for a couple of hours on and off and at the end 1.3 inches of rain.

My sister and brother in law joined us for Thanksgiving and a good time was had. The free range Willie Bird from Petaluna Ca (Via Williams Sonoma) arrived Tuesday and took an even three hours to perfection. I watched a you tube video on carving and it went swimmingly. Cornbread dressing with French Steamed Chestnuts, Whipped yams with pecans, steamed French green beans in a lemon butter sauce, a Waldorf salad and a Pecan pie. Plenty of Vueve Clicquot to sip.

Its done, and cleaned up, ready for the next holiday, Christmas. Happy Thanks giving to our American Friends and good cheer to all the others. 

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 6:21 AM, Host Hattie said:

Update to this, Mr HH won't be making his booster appointment as he has Covid 😿.

I'm still hoping to have mine on Sunday as long as I don't develop it in the meantime.

I hope that he will have a very mild case, as he has been vaccinated. Did Mr. HH already have Covid a while ago, or am I mistaken?

2 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

I hope that he will have a very mild case, as he has been vaccinated. Did Mr. HH already have Covid a while ago, or am I mistaken?

Thanks, He thought he might have had it very early on, February 2020 but I was doubtful. There was no testing available at the time so we'll never know.

I haven't developed any symptoms and my lateral flow tests are still negative so I am hopeful that I'll be able to have my booster tomorrow.

It's very windy here and there are lots of reports of closed roads and blocked railway lines. I think I'll be staying in today !

• Like 2

@Host Hattie- fingers crossed for you that you’re able to get your booster jab tomorrow and I hope Mr HH gets over his bout of Covid soon.

Is anyone else in the UK (and further afield) feeling a bit miserable after all the Omicron-related news of the last 48 hours and today’s press conference given by the PM, England’s Chief Medical Officer and the Govt’s Chief Scientific Adviser? I must say I am - it feels like Groundhog Day - but I can’t say I am too surprised. I have family in Chelmsford, where one of the 2 UK Omicron cases has been detected and we have been planning a family get together this Christmas, so I’m wondering if that will be in a bit of doubt now. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks. I don’t have any major plans which will be undone in the next month or two should events take a real turn for the worse  but I guess it will now be a concerning time for many - from those who are more vulnerable to Covid for health reasons,  to business owners and those of you with an up and coming cruise. Fingers crossed again - and stay safe! 

• Like 1

As an addendum to my post above, my aunt who lives in Chelmsford - and now BBC News too - both say the new variant was found in Brentwood not Chelmsford. Brentwood is near to Chelmsford but a completely separate town in its own right. Apologies to the residents of Chelmsford! 

6 hours ago, Kynance said:

Is anyone else in the UK (and further afield) feeling a bit miserable after all the Omicron-related news of the last 48 hours

Yes, indeed. We are feeling cautious and a bit deflated, honestly.

Things have been fairly good here considering things are not totally back to "normal".

In our little world the business of the performing arts has been finding ways to persevere, and we have also had our booster jabs recently. From a personal level all has been going well, and we have been seeing a light at the end of this strange tunnel.

All of this makes us take pause... makes us wonder if the light is further than we hoped.

Who knows.

So many of us in the States are now watching and listening to the news from other countries and to their protocol changes... We want to know what all of this means moving forward.

People here are talking about it, and certainly our stock market in the US took a massive hit on Friday. I know many people who are discussing their investments and what all this could mean for the gains which have been made since they dipped so tremendously at the start of the pandemic. Certainly we know that business owners are paying close attention to the ramifications.

I am hoping that our current vaccines prove to fight this variant well... and that the scientists will learn more and more about it as soon as possible.

Here's to hoping for all of us.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Kynance said:

@Host Hattie- fingers crossed for you that you’re able to get your booster jab tomorrow and I hope Mr HH gets over his bout of Covid soon.

Thanks, I had my booster yesterday so I have a sore arm today. Mr HH doesn't seem to be getting any worse, just feeling like a bad cold with heavy fatigue.

It's great to see QM2 sailing again, I was tempted to book the short break but I'm very glad I didn't now. It looks like travel is going to be more complicated again for a while.

• Like 2

Thanks, my sore arm lasted about 24 hours and Mr HH is going in the right direction.

His self isolation ends tomorrow but I'm not sure if he'll be fit to go back to work on Friday.

His job is quite physically demanding and often outside.

• Like 2

Mister and I both had our boosters and flu jabs this week. Sore arm for me, but mister had some vertigo. It only lasted an evening and he’s better today. We’re making flight reservations for our Big Voyage that is less than a year away. 

• Like 1

I see that Queen Mary 2 is in Southampton and will sail to Lisbon tonight, her first revenue trip in more than 18 months. Progress.

All quiet here in Southeast Texas. Fall for sure, low this morning 50 f and high will be 70. The leaves continue to drift off the trees and the Shumard Red Oak is beginning its fall spectacular with leaves turning from gold to red to maroon before departing the tree

The Christmas tree will go up on Sunday and the limited out door lighting is done. Little color changing low orb pathway lighting along the sidewalk from the front door to the drive, a lighted wreath on the door and candles in the glass panels one either side of the door. All on timers and battery powered.

The collection of acrylic Harrods Bear ornaments from 1999 to the present are in the great book case in the living room. While Harrods have had Christmas bears for more than 30 years the first year for the small bear ornament was 1999. And today the Hallmark Lionel train ornaments will go on the fireplace mantle. We will open the first door of the Advent Calendar at sunset tonight. 

It has been a wonderful, colorful fall, or maybe I have just taken the time to enjoy it. 

• Like 3

We had snow here over the weekend and it was -3 on Monday morning. The street was covered in ice on Monday so I put my boots and ice spikes on and walked to work. A good job it's only a couple of miles. by evening it was well above freezing and all the ice had gone. On Tuesday it was +9 so quite a difference in 24 hours.

I am off to Warwick on Saturday to visit the Castle which I am looking forward to. It will be trimmed up for Christmas so that's a bonus.

A quick update from Lancashire

I had a great time at Warwick Castle and the National Space Centre last weekend.  On Wednesday, I went to the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester to hear Pictures at an Exubiton which was fantastic. 

Today I got my booster jab.

• Like 3

On 12/21/2020 at 12:51 PM, alc13 said:

A very good recipe, thanks.  I used cinnamon/allspice/cloves for the mixed spice (2:2:1).  I'm attaching a photo but it doesn't fully convey the rich fruity goodness of this cake!

IMG_3118.JPG

Been meaning to ask how the cake turned out in the end?

A couple of my efforts this year:-

B68B516E-615C-4594-9493-55D94AAE82F5.thumb.jpeg.4a2581b11a39c868bf4bf3d6d255ecd0.jpeg

Still need to tie up some of the little Christmas presents

• Like 3