The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

3 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Have any of you early adopters, Iceland/Bermuda, used this?

image.thumb.png.610ac642f59abd94fd76221c49614501.png

I started the process but called it quits at step one because of the required picture; you can't get past step one without it. I don't have a digital photo of either of us that fits the bill. I'll just handle it all on the dock -- photos, credit card and all.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I don't have a digital photo of either of us that fits the bill.

Stand your husband against a blank wall and take his picture with your phone, telling him not to smile.  Then have him do the same for you.  One minute, two digital photos.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I started the process but called it quits at step one because of the required picture; you can't get past step one without it. I don't have a digital photo of either of us that fits the bill. I'll just handle it all on the dock -- photos, credit card and all.

I read a post from one of the UK only cruisers who said the comfort check-in will walk you through taking a photo so you don't need to have one saved.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:11 PM, JeriGail said:

I read a post from one of the UK only cruisers who said the comfort check-in will walk you through taking a photo so you don't need to have one saved.

That wasn’t the case with us. We took a picture (no smiles, no hats, eyes opened) and then just uploaded them.  Easypeasy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We took a picture (no smiles, no hats, eyes opened) and then just uploaded them

Reminds me of the joke, that says if you look like your passport photograph, you are likely too ill to travel.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just finished watching the Scots & The Auld Enemy (England) match, so I'm heading up to Explorer's for a wee celebratory beverage. Anybody else heading up for a drink and to discuss the match.😀🍺

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just finished watching the Scots & The Auld Enemy (England) match, so I'm heading up to Explorer's for a wee celebratory beverage. Anybody else heading up for a drink and to discuss the match.😀🍺

A6C7242B-05C8-4A61-B4B3-92B878DCA61A.gif

Cheers!

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 2

I was watching the  Orion Webcam  right before the sunset. I  realize that on a ship, the horizon does not  look like a straight line. But to me it does when on land.  I remember being at Los Flamingos in Acapulco  to watch the sunset. it would drop like a lead ballon into the Pacific and everyone would clap and drink a margarita. 

Mr. bartender, I will have a mojito  please. it is summer. The days are long and the nights short. 

I thank the original  poster PhotoPro 2 who started this virtual thread. I was with him and his lovely wife on the first transatlantic cruise  on the Viking Sea.  It was the best of times.

Lovely roll call and no social influencers in sight on board, but a  couple of retired professors of music, and I think a retired CIA  guy among the guests on board.   Those were the days my friends....

Cheers!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

And then there is the Green Flash.🍸😎

Yes, I  did see that green flash a couple of times. !!!!

I forgot about that feature, but it was very special when you saw it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Azulann said:

Those were the days my friends....

Yes indeed! But fortunately no social distancing needed in this virtual lounge, all are very welcome to join us for a chat 😃 We didn't know about the ex-CIA person - maybe they stayed undercover to us "aliens" 

On 6/18/2021 at 11:43 PM, Heidi13 said:

Just finished watching the Scots & The Auld Enemy (England) match, so I'm heading up to Explorer's for a wee celebratory beverage.

I am not much of a footie follower Andy but glad that nil-nil did not cause any further rifts between the nations 😉

As it happens we are heading up to Oban/Fort William/Skye next week for what may well turn out to be our main holiday of the year. Venison and smoked salmon here we come!

• Like 1

Happy Father's Day to all the dads gathering here in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge !  The Bloody Marys  are on me !  Although, for those of you that like to put weird stuff in them, I don't know what to say to you 😁

• Like 5

3 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I am not much of a footie follower Andy but glad that nil-nil did not cause any further rifts between the nations 😉

As it happens we are heading up to Oban/Fort William/Skye next week for what may well turn out to be our main holiday of the year. Venison and smoked salmon here we come!

I've been an avid footie supporter since a nipper, still remember the days getting lifted over the turnstiles. Used to travel on the Rangers supporters bus from St Andrews every week when home on leave, so still watch all matches, with an online season ticket. Went to Hampden for the Scotland/England match in mid-70's, catching a ride on one of the England buses. Great atmosphere with 135,000 at the match and good fun on the bus both ways. Once the match is over, we should all remember we all carry the same passport and long may it continue.

Enjoy the West Coast, as we spent a week touring through the area last time we were in UK. Are you planning a trip on the steam train from Ft William and also driving out to Glenfinnan to photograph the viaduct. We also did the cruise down Loch Linnhe getting some great shots of seal lions.

21 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Are you planning a trip on the steam train from Ft William and also driving out to Glenfinnan to photograph the viaduct.

We are keen walkers and so, if the weather is reasonable, plan to head up to the viewpoint overlooking the viaduct for when the train crosses at about 10.45. I have also just added Inveraray Castle (which gained additional fame as a "Downton" location) to our itinerary as it has now reopened 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

We are keen walkers and so, if the weather is reasonable, plan to head up to the viewpoint overlooking the viaduct for when the train crosses at about 10.45. I have also just added Inveraray Castle (which gained additional fame as a "Downton" location) to our itinerary as it has now reopened 😁

We can recommend Inverewe Gardens if you’re on the west coast, although much further north  than Inveraray Castle.  Just started watching the Viking sponsored Downton again for the third time, the second being on a Viking ship.  

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

Had hoped to stop at Inveraray, then head further south to visit childhood memories at Rothsay, but were short of time, so after Ft William we had to return to St Andrews through Lochernhead, Crief & Perth.

Enjoy the trip.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Hurray for the new policy (red banner at the top of the page).  Way too much speculation and ranting about covid here. Let's get back to cruise ranting.  🍸

That’s right. Let’s talk about dress codes instead! 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

That’s right. Let’s talk about dress codes instead! 😜

I'm working (I do a little consulting to pay for travel in retirement) at my laptop wearing shorts and flip flops, I was barefoot but I took the dog for a walk.

Do I meet the dress code standard for my current activity?  I am adjacent to the MDR and my kitchen!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok world and formerly frequent travelers, I have a customs/immigration question.  It will be lenghty so please pay attention.

My experience when coming BACK into the US is that we clear in at the first US location (we use Mobil Passport), then we collect our luggage, deposit it at a baggage drop for next flight, go through Security and find our next gate.  This scenario has been with American in Miami where domestic and international flights use the same terminal.

What happens at JFK, for example, when your International carrier arrives at one terminal and your Domestic carrier (another airline even though a code share) departs from a different terminal?  Is your luggage checked through or do you need to clear in (Mobil Passport etc.), collect your luggage, find your way to new terminal, deposit your baggage, go through Security and find your next gate.  (Whew, I am tired already.)  I understand that we will have to change terminals and go through Security no matter what but if we need to deal with luggage it will take longer. 

Ok next test.  What about flying to Europe with a connection inside the EU (say Amsterdam)  to elsewhere within the EU. OR how about within the same country in which the first flight lands (such as Madrid as first stop with final destination of Barcelona)?  Will clearing in be in Amsterdam or final destination?  Will luggage go through to final destination?  In the case of Spain, would the clearing in be Madrid or final destination of Barcelona?  Would our luggage go through to Barcelona or would we need to collect and recheck it?

I know, this is a bit much to contemplate with an AM Bloody Mary or a cocktail/glass of wine, but please draw on your experiences and do your best.  Thank you so much for your help.