The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

8 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

I appreciate the thought behind the question but although I could not be happier that people are back in the real Explorers' lounge (looking at you Clay!) I do feel that there is still a need for this imaginary space too.

As Twitchly put it so well:

That seems a very good solution to avoid having a tread a mile long - maybe our moderator could look at setting it up for this topic?

Now, I quite fancy a limoncello but would that be an unpatriotic choice given what happened at Wembley? Maybe I should have a Scotch? 😉

Limoncello is much more a Summer drink.... Follow it with a frozen Margarita...😱

• Like 1

4 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I appreciate the thought behind the question but although I could not be happier that people are back in the real Explorers' lounge (looking at you Clay!) I do feel that there is still a need for this imaginary space too.

That seems a very good solution to avoid having a tread a mile long - maybe our moderator could look at setting it up for this topic?

Now, I quite fancy a limoncello but would that be an unpatriotic choice given what happened at Wembley? Maybe I should have a Scotch? 😉

I don't know...I love the length of this and have been watching for months now as it grows and grows.  It would be interesting to see just how long it could get....

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge Appears Virtually Empty tonight. Isn’t Laslo, Kiki, or King playing this evening or is it Music Trivia night with Gary Jerry and Elmer?

Either way, I’ll have my Balvenie single malt neat.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom.in.nc said:

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge Appears Virtually Empty tonight. Isn’t Laslo, Kiki, or King playing this evening or is it Music Trivia night with Gary Jerry and Elmer?

Either way, I’ll have my Balvenie single malt neat.

Is there some other way to have it?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, photopro2 said:

I enjoyed our time in the IRL Explorer’s Lounge but happy to be back at the Virtual One also. Though I have to admit I prefer the Aquavit Terrace. You get fresh air as well as crab legs, shrimp and sushi!😂

311C8B24-83E6-4D91-8730-42369699E7D3.jpeg

• Like 6

We rarely do room service but we had a very early dinner one night and none of the desserts appealed to us. So after being back in the room we ordered some. Mike doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me so he ordered the pear and Prosciutto appetizer and I got the apple pie. Both were delicious and have been added to my ongoing list of Viking foods I suggest to newbies. (Breakfast lamb chops anyone?😂)

Oh, we have never had a special occasion onboard before but we celebrated Mike’s Mom’s birthday this trip. The cake they brought to dinner at The Chef’s Table was probably the best cake we’ve had onboard. Methinks we will always have a celebration of some sort on future cruises! 🤫

BF39E697-FCD0-4305-B550-D716356253A6.jpeg

D522EC66-62DD-488A-B894-67DAADE3F3E6.jpeg

E415139B-2EC6-4712-9338-55C1CA7DFF16.jpeg

DDD9AF1E-4ADF-492E-9979-AF1D826EA79C.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We rarely do room service but we had a very early dinner one night and none of the desserts appealed to us. So after being back in the room we ordered some. Mike doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me so he ordered the pear and Prosciutto appetizer and I got the apple pie. Both were delicious and have been added to my ongoing list of Viking foods I suggest to newbies. (Breakfast lamb chops anyone?😂)

Oh, we have never had a special occasion onboard before but we celebrated Mike’s Mom’s birthday this trip. The cake they brought to dinner at The Chef’s Table was probably the best cake we’ve had onboard. Methinks we will always have a celebration of some sort on future cruises! 🤫

I watched a UK only cruiser's vlog of his 10 favorite Viking foods.  The apple pie made the top ten.  Manfredi's carbonara and panna cotta were also on that list.  My list of foods and drinks to try is growing so I'm glad our cruise is 14 days long!  🙂  Lamb chops and pistachio bun are on the list too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Wow, they really do go overboard.

We had Judi's birthday just before we disembarked Viking Sun. In addition to the regular menu they also made 2 of her favourites - french onion soup & beef wellingtom. Then the Chef brought out a cake, which may have resulted in some moisture from the eyes.

A truly amazing dinner.

1570315328_DinnerApr9thJudisbirthdaycake1024.thumb.jpg.940996c4c0a7519e85b451f20665f3bd.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I want that cake. Now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, they really do go overboard.

We had Judi's birthday just before we disembarked Viking Sun. In addition to the regular menu they also made 2 of her favourites - french onion soup & beef wellingtom. Then the Chef brought out a cake, which may have resulted in some moisture from the eyes.

A truly amazing dinner.

1570315328_DinnerApr9thJudisbirthdaycake1024.thumb.jpg.940996c4c0a7519e85b451f20665f3bd.jpg

That onion soup is so good but it’s way too big a portion. Poor DMIL had to leave about half of it even after Mike and I both “helped” her

• Like 1

This post might be appropriate for this forum, after Clay and Heidi's great food shots.  We are straying from Oceania to try the Viking Sea next month.  I have done some homework on Viking, but have a burning question.  Will I find Tobasco on the Sea, or have to bring my own for my morning omelet?  It is an essential food group for me.  Also, how is the contemporary fiction selection on board?

13 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

This post might be appropriate for this forum, after Clay and Heidi's great food shots.  We are straying from Oceania to try the Viking Sea next month.  I have done some homework on Viking, but have a burning question.  Will I find Tobasco on the Sea, or have to bring my own for my morning omelet?  It is an essential food group for me.  Also, how is the contemporary fiction selection on board?

Yes, as recently as a couple of weeks ago on our Iceland cruise, I saw a big bottle on display in the world cafe.  That said, Viking isn’t known for its hot and spicy food.  I remember one day on our WC, out of nowhere, a big bowl of diced Jalepenos appeared one day at lunch.  My husband and I each took a big spoonful and put it on whatever, we were so hungry for a bit of heat!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

Speaking pre covid and on the Viking Sun, yes Tabasco, the staff of life, is at each bar and readily available at all the eating venues upon request.  Again, pre covid, a normal sized bottle was brought to the table.  As a Southern boy, last name Avery, I was raised on the stuff.  And, unfortunately, I am not related to those 

Avery Island folks.   Probably the best advice I can think of is if you want something and don't see it, just ask.  Don't think I have ever been told "no" by any crew...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PBtroy said:

We assisted the Cruise staff with the very extensive book inventory aboard Viking Sun. They have well over 1,000 books distributed throughout the ship. Unlike other ships, the entire library is based on the honour system and you are welcome to take any book at any time.

As Jim mentioned, they are mostly non-fiction, but they did have some. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, looking good Tom.  I hope my name is still on the back of the chair....🍸

Naw, I heard your perch was removed from the Sun before it headed to China. Now in storage in Acona, Italy awaiting construction of the Neptune.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2