RRC suspension sailing will others follow

chief30

Well at least one of the cruise companies is keeping its customers informed.  It is interesting to see that they decided to come back to operation on the same date as Princess.  I wonder why we don't hear anything from Princess about Alaska, it appears that RCL understands the situation on those routes!

Just now, cruising deacon said:

Well at least one of the cruise companies is keeping its customers informed.  It is interesting to see that they decided to come back to operation on the same date as Princess.  I wonder why we don't hear anything from Princess about Alaska, it appears that RCL understands the situation on those routes!

I noticed the newest post regarding the notice from Carnival cruise line (not Carnival Corp.), don't you think different entities in the same corporation could coordinate a similar message at the same time.  Who knows, maybe we will hear something from Princess by the 27th also.

Wasn't Princess 60 days already, whereas some initially went with 30 days?  Princess doesn't have to say anything because they were already at this May date.  I agree they have to discuss the Alaska, Canada situation.

• Like 1

ALL cruise lines would like to begin sailing as soon as possible but NO cruise line can predict the future of this horrible virus. Even saying “we’ll resume May 12th” is simply a guess that could change again in days or weeks. The crisis is going to need to play itself out, and even then, cases will persist In both our country and around the world for months to come.  For me, with more than 30 cruises taken, I’m in no rush to get on a ship.   I’ll most certainly be back at-sea ... but not in 2020. We’ve traveled the world on ships and loved every minute of it. But, I think we’ll spend the rest of this year visiting places in the USA that we haven’t explored.  Probably good for the economy too!

Edited by BigGuy25

44 minutes ago, BigGuy25 said:

ALL cruise lines would like to begin sailing as soon as possible but NO cruise line can predict the future of this horrible virus. Even saying “we’ll resume May 12th” is simply a guess that could change again in days or weeks. The crisis is going to need to play itself out, and even then, cases will persist In both our country and around the world for months to come.  For me, with more than 30 cruises taken, I’m in no rush to get on a ship.   I’ll most certainly be back at-sea ... but not in 2020. We’ve traveled the world on ships and loved every minute of it. But, I think we’ll spend the rest of this year visiting places in the USA that we haven’t explored.  Probably good for the economy too!

I think you're very wise. And the fact that CDC discovered live virus on one of the ships 17 days after disembarkation should give one pause. If it was viable 17 days later, just how long would it take?

Princess had originally postponed until mid-May.  Yesterday RCI and Celebrity followed suit with postponements until 5/13.  I would think others will follow.

These same three cruise lines have cancelled all Alaska cruises until July 1 in response to Canada closing all of their ports to cruise ships. 

I know that Princess at least (and maybe through CLIA with others) is also talking with the powers to be regarding the PVSA Act to see if there are Alaska waiver options as a "plan B" should the July 1 Canada date slip.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Costa part of the Carnival group...

Do you have a confirmed booking for one of the canceled cruises?

Due to the protracted emergency situation linked to the global Covid-19 pandemic and with the further introduction of containment measures (such as closing ports and restrictions on the movement of people who do not actually allow to operate), Costa Cruises has decided to extend the voluntary suspension of its cruises until April 30.

As previously communicated, the cruises currently underway are ending their current itinerary only to allow guests to disembark and return home.

Costa Cruises is taking steps to inform travel agents and customers affected by the changes, who will receive a voucher equivalent to what the Company has collected, as a form of greater guarantee for travelers.

Call our Cruise Experts at 0800.3890622 or contact your Travel Agency for further information 

Read the table below for information on canceled cruises:

Last update March 25.

Costa Diadema - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until May 2nd.

Costa Fascinosa - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until May 2nd..

Costa Favolosa - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until May 1st.

Costa Fortuna - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until May 7th.

Costa Magica - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Costa Mediterranea - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until May 8th.

Costa Smeralda - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until May 1st.

Costa Luminosa - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Costa Pacifica - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until April 30th.

Costa Victoria - SUSPENDED ACTIVITY

Cruises canceled until April 24th.

Costa Deliziosa - CRUISING

The current World Tour itinerary will be completed to allow guests to disembark and return home. Cruises canceled until May 1st.

I think that talk of cruise lines resuming in weeks is fanciful.  

3 hours ago, clo said:

I think you're very wise. And the fact that CDC discovered live virus on one of the ships 17 days after disembarkation should give one pause. If it was viable 17 days later, just how long would it take?

The statement, to which I have added bold highlighting, is not accurate.

They found viral RNA.  There was no report of finding "live virus."

https://coronavirus.medium.com/traces-of-coronavirus-can-last-17-days-e9556a62d4e7

Epidemiologist Tara C. Smith made a critical distinction on Twitter: “Viral RNA doesn’t necessarily mean live virus was present.” The term “live virus” refers to a virus particle that is capable of replicating. This isn’t always the case: “Once they’re dried out after being on a surface for a period of time, they may no longer be able to grow inside cells, even if their genetic material (RNA or DNA) can still be detected, as in this study,” Smith tweeted.

The actual findings notwithstanding, the news report did  have this warning about hasty decisions to return to normalcy:

Though we don’t yet know what this viral RNA is capable of, this paper is a reminder to be extra careful about cleaning surfaces regularly and thoroughly as well as to be cautious of reopening public places, which is now happening in China. Axios’s health care editor Sam Baker pointed out: “The virus lives a long time on hard surfaces, and that’s another reason to be wary about quickly reopening businesses like bars, restaurants, and gyms while the virus is still spreading quickly.”

35 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

The statement, to which I have added bold highlighting, is not accurate.

Thank you SO much for correcting. I was skim-reading for the word 17 clearly.

I continue to wonder if any public space will ever get cleaned as well as truly required.