Celebrity Restrictions

B113

49 minutes ago, hcat said:

Ha ha...

Many  of us are in the same situation...

That's why I want to find that post I referred to

It said  no one over 70 "Mandatory" but I was rushed and not able to read it fully or save it,...so if that is in effect in the future, those future cruise credits should be refunded to cash..or they will remain useless vouchers!  Sorry Bo, they are not transferable !

X may get its wish for a younger demographic as a result of al this ,  but older cruisers  will all meet on land somewhere! Maybe Margaritaville!

Yes, maybe I can make a case for bringing along my 'care taker' who happens to be over 70???

That might work, one never knows for sure.... (pulling out all the stops to help my buds sail)...

bon voyage

• Like 2

Well I think we can shut this discussion down. Now that we are discovering that there are other groups of people who are very high risk for "the virus",  there is no way seniors can be singled out. Any discrimination is ugly and the more groups discriminated against makes it even uglier. I think the cruise lines eventually realized they have to deal with the virus not the different groups of passengers that might get it. It was ludicrous from the beginning to think you could make a difference in a pandemic by singling out one minority group.

dcl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barcelona17 said:

Well I think we can shut this discussion down. Now that we are discovering that there are other groups of people who are very high risk for "the virus",  there is no way seniors can be singled out. Any discrimination is ugly and the more groups discriminated against makes it even uglier. I think the cruise lines eventually realized they have to deal with the virus not the different groups of passengers that might get it. It was ludicrous from the beginning to think you could make a difference in a pandemic by singling out one minority group.

The industry hasn't said what they will do, so I don't think it's reasonable to conclude that some form of age-based requirement won't be in force when sailings resume.  The policy is still on the Celebrity website in several places with no indication that it's been reversed.  It also applies to any high risk person with a chronic condition, not just those over 70. 

Businesses can discriminate based on physical ability, especially if it's being backed by governments.  The example of restrictions placed on pregnant women is one.  Saying that a vulnerable population needs a medical clearance would fall into that category, too, and they could set the age at whatever they wanted to.  Now that most countries have made it clear that cruise line companies will be on the hook for these situations in the future, you can bet they're going to do everything possible to reduce their liability.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:18 PM, hcat said:

This is the big question mark  what happens to all those  thousands of dollars in FCCs, if the  current med authorization will be required for those who can't obtain them.  Was not required when we booked! Will it be refunded if boarding is denied or impossible???????

I am also in the same boat....  We purchased before doctor's note was required.  We also bought insurance.  Now we cannot board.  So, we paid $700 for insurance for a trip that we cannot take?  I don't understand.  

I am also in the same boat....  We purchased before doctor's note was required.  We also bought insurance.  Now we cannot board.  So, we paid $700 for insurance for a trip that we cannot take?  I don't understand.  

You should be able to get a refund in your insurance. I did

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Op

Our Cruise Care  insurance cost was not refunded... the Cruise With Confidence Cancellation  program did not offer that but we paid less for that coverage.

Try your ins co...Are they  giving you a refund or future cruise credit? 

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

The industry hasn't said what they will do, so I don't think it's reasonable to conclude that some form of age-based requirement won't be in force when sailings resume.  The policy is still on the Celebrity website in several places with no indication that it's been reversed.  It also applies to any high risk person with a chronic condition, not just those over 70. 

Businesses can discriminate based on physical ability, especially if it's being backed by governments.  The example of restrictions placed on pregnant women is one.  Saying that a vulnerable population needs a medical clearance would fall into that category, too, and they could set the age at whatever they wanted to.  Now that most countries have made it clear that cruise line companies will be on the hook for these situations in the future, you can bet they're going to do everything possible to reduce their liability.

So are you suggesting that since it is emerging that the African-American community is being hit much harder by this virus than any other ethnic group, that the cruise lines should consider requiring them to provide a doctor's note. We are now discovering that in Chicago 68.9 percent of deaths by the virus are African-Americans and in Louisiana 70 percent. And to make these numbers worse they are greater than the percent of the population of African-Americans in these areas. The Surgeon General of the US just stated "While everyone  is susceptible to Covid-19 black Americans are at a higher risk". This whole conversation gets more and more surreal. Who is next?

dcl

52 minutes ago, Barcelona17 said:

So are you suggesting that since it is emerging that the African-American community is being hit much harder by this virus than any other ethnic group, that the cruise lines should consider requiring them to provide a doctor's note. We are now discovering that in Chicago 68.9 percent of deaths by the virus are African-Americans and in Louisiana 70 percent. And to make these numbers worse they are greater than the percent of the population of African-Americans in these areas. The Surgeon General of the US just stated "While everyone  is susceptible to Covid-19 black Americans are at a higher risk". This whole conversation gets more and more surreal. Who is next?

dcl

Who is next? How about men, as there is a greater mortality rate than there is for women? How about Americans? More cases and soon to be more deaths than any other country? I'm sure that further examination of the statistics could identify many other more susceptible groups. If Celebrity feels that a doctor's note is required to protect more vulnerable customers, let's expand the requirement to every passenger and ensure that we get all vulnerable groups. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Barcelona17 said:

If you don't understand how that is the ultimate false equivalence, I'm not sure it would help to engage further. 

Regardless, it will be up to the cruise lines to announce their policy, if any.  If you feel compelled to test it in court, then by all means try.

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

If you don't understand how that is the ultimate false equivalence, I'm not sure it would help to engage further. 

Regardless, it will be up to the cruise lines to announce their policy, if any.  If you feel compelled to test it in court, then by all means try.

I apologize if I'm missing your point, but all I am saying is the scientists have pointed out that both of these groups are more susceptible to Covid19 because both groups have a much higher degree of underlying health issues, as they relate to Covid19, than other groups. What am I not understanding?

dcl

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 3:18 PM, hcat said:

This is the big question mark  what happens to all those  thousands of dollars in FCCs, if the  current med authorization will be required for those who can't obtain them.  Was not required when we booked! Will it be refunded if boarding is denied or impossible???????

that's a VERY good question

3 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

that's a VERY good question

Go back to an interview on CBC TV with Petrillo.  She stated the doctor's note was instituted as a temporary measure and would be reviewed prior to the resumption of cruising.  A similar comment is on the website. 

Anything is pure speculation about a restriction continuing.  I agree that underlying conditions like diabetes make not only this virus but almost every disease a larger health risk.  The effects on the black population are more severe because of a larger proportion of underlying conditions and that they historically have had less medical care.

Could run the same argument for the Tohono O'odahm who have over 50% incidence of diabetes and obesity.

Ultimately if you are not allowed to use a FCC because of a rule change am positive there will be -- A lawsuit and that you can make A reservation and do a name change to have someone else go.  It is not difficult.  We moved a cruise from DW and myself to daughter and her DH.