NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

P&O Australia has just posted a video on there facebook page from there President Sture Myrmell to say that NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!! :O

I am currently waiting for a Press Release from P&O to post here.

37 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Bit harsh given that the Pacific Explorer is based in Australia and registered in London. 

Agree. Do they expect the Pacific Explorer to sail to the UK? There have not been any reported cases of covid-19 on the Explorer, so she does not present a risk to anyone ashore. She should be left where she is.

I just listened to the announcement from P&O President Sture Myrmell. He explained the company's position very well and I agree wholeheartedly with him. I hope the NSW Police reverse their decision.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I understand that Service Personnel are now being sent to all the ships, get everyone tested. those needing medical treatment will get it and then the crew either flown home or will crew the boats back to their company head quartered ports.  The Governments risk is that they cannot have the ships there if there are active cases because the Health system will pretty much be unable to cope. So get the ill ones off board and have the rest repatriated. 

Edited by Pushka

The NSW police may have the power to make the ship leave Sydney however they dont have any power when she leaves the 3 mile limit .....

This is absolute stupidity ... find the ship an anchorage somewhere and leave her alone  to wait this out ... plenty of room in Gladstone for example

Regards

John

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I understand that Service Personnel are now being sent to all the ships, get everyone tested. those needing medical treatment will get it and then the crew either flown home or will crew the boats back to their company head quartered ports.  The Governments risk is that they cannot have the ships there if there are active cases because the Health system will pretty much be unable to cope. So get the ill ones off board and have the rest repatriated. 

I'm trying to understand the situation, I'm under the impression that the ship has no passengers and is simply laying alongside at it's home port. Also there has been no illness on board. So help me with this, the company home office is in Australia and the ship is flagged in the UK, why should they leave? And who are the NSW police to order a ship from port. In Canada the ports are under federal jurisdiction, transport Canada makes those decisions not the police. Sorry just don't get it, this should be a decision way farther up than the police. No?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VK3DQ said:

The NSW police may have the power to make the ship leave Sydney however they dont have any power when she leaves the 3 mile limit .....

This is absolute stupidity ... find the ship an anchorage somewhere and leave her alone  to wait this out ... plenty of room in Gladstone for example

That is what I posted the night before last on another section of the forum - NSW does not have jurisdiction beyond the three nautical mile limit. There are plenty of anchorages - Hervey Bay (although not much infrastructure there), and off Mooloolaba where the other ships are.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm trying to understand the situation, I'm under the impression that the ship has no passengers and is simply laying alongside at it's home port. Also there has been no illness on board. So help me with this, the company home office is in Australia and the ship is flagged in the UK, why should they leave? And who are the NSW police to order a ship from port. In Canada the ports are under federal jurisdiction, transport Canada makes those decisions not the police. Sorry just don't get it, this should be a decision way farther up than the police. No?

I agree with your sentiments. It does not make sense. New South Wales has jurisdiction up to three nautical miles off-shore, then it is a Federal responsibility, so legally, the NSW Police can probably order the ship to leave port. It doesn't matter how ridiculous that decision is.

I hope the NSW Police can see the unreasonableness of this decision and reverse it. Probably not much chance of that.

Edited by Aus Traveller

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I understand, but could be wrong for that specific ship, but currently there are 8 ships just off the coast. None of which have a head office in Australia. 9000 crew on them.

And yes, it is a Federal issue now the Armed Services have been brought in. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

The US coastguard For Miami has just done a similar thing and refuse to offer assistance .

how about a Hamilton Island,send them there and make the resort into a quarantine.

There are simply not enough medical resources to cope with anything like that! 

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The US coastguard For Miami has just done a similar thing and refuse to offer assistance .

how about a Hamilton Island,send them there and make the resort into a quarantine.

Why should the cruise lines pay for accommodation on Hamilton Island when they have perfectly good accommodation on their ships? Let the crew stay on the ships, off-shore if necessary, but tied up at wharves if possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

This is just an example of cruise ship bashing !!!

Regards

John

In fairness, just one cruise ship, Ruby, has brought 25% of South Australias Covid cases, and cruises have contributed to 25% of Australia's deaths from Covid.  

I love cruises. My all time favourite holiday treat. Now, from so many perspectives I mentioned in another thread, I wont be going on one for a long time, my husband who likewise loved them, refuses to set foot on one. I am hoping we can convince ourselves to do our already booked Nile cruise in December 2021. 

Edited by Pushka

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think the captains want to be near a good medical system as there are scarce in this part of the world.

And the government wants them gone

So now do P&O halt all commercial shipping in Australia ??? No more container ship allowed in???

Yep lets halt all shipping in or out ...!!!

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Why should the cruise lines pay for accommodation on Hamilton Island when they have perfectly good accommodation on their ships? Let the crew stay on the ships, off-shore if necessary, but tied up at wharves if possible.

No just for quarantine.

not for a holiday 

Edited by Chiliburn

Just now, VK3DQ said:

So now do P&O halt all commercial shipping in Australia ??? No more container ship allowed in???

Regards

John

Cruise lines are not commercial ships. They are far more contained. People dont come and go. Personnel are stable. 

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Cruise lines are not commercial ships. They are far more contained. People dont come and go. Personnel are stable. 

Yes most of their crews are from third world nations and none of them carry a doctor