Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

49 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

When I read the headline to that news story I honestly thought it was a joke.  It wasn't.  But then as  Candace Bergen said in the movie Ms. Congeniality: "This is TX.  Everyone carries a gun in Texas.  My florist has a gun". 

Hope everyone impacted by Mother Nature's wrath stays dry and safe.

Very scary here.We are upstairs.If water comes in our house there is nothing we can do.It just began thundering .

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

There is a band playing 70’s music down town.  I think the way the wind has really picked up here has inspired one of the songs they elected to play…… Against the Wind.   Good song but not one that will stick in the mind.  They also played Somebody to Love by Jefferson Airplane/Starship.  That might stick.

We started doing 70’s music charters cruises a few years ago , totally great music even though I would have preferred the 60’s , lead singer for Jefferson starship on our last one last year , did a great job with lead vocals that Gracie Slick made famous. Not cheap but great live music from noon to early morning. Really fun talking to the different artist and hearing there stories. 

• Like 1

Wrapping up day 7 of the trip report:

After fireworks, the CMs standing at the side ready to do clean up work.  Disney has the process down like clock work.  CMs are standing by once the crowd dissipates

20210813_212458.thumb.jpg.b9f4464d138d9d23d958320c4503de2f.jpg

Lots of people in front of the castle trying to take one final picture before leaving but not us.  Starting that day, Disneyland extended their closing hours nightly from 10 to 11 PM so effectively we had an extra hour to play.  We intend to use that to do the kiddie rides at Fantasyland.

20210813_212830.thumb.jpg.de3ef03802f21247cb8e47dbc28c1661.jpg

Not everyone knows inside the Sleeping Beauty Castle is the story of Sleeping Beauty herself.  Self guided walk through

20210813_213812.thumb.jpg.38b8b3e0c6b45917cef20603b36a5a45.jpg

20210813_213901.thumb.jpg.9fe67961dfc7344c209fcc951d8deb8f.jpg

Can never resist a carousel so on we go

20210813_214158.thumb.jpg.9691200bad4bd9a19a8c2404354277cf.jpg

20210813_214606.thumb.jpg.489fcba12922d20820c13c4fed34dca3.jpg

After that, it’s the Pinocchio ride and then Dumbo as we continue to jump from ride to ride with the closing clock counting down.  After 10 PM, many of the younger kids are pooped out and gone home already so the lines are much shorter

20210813_220336.thumb.jpg.9ad201e222d0a75ab1bbce2794a8853a.jpg

See the minimal wait time?

Screenshot_20210813-222109_Disneyland.thumb.jpg.f06352ff764dbf1f718033fb8316a38f.jpg

Then it’s Alice in the Wonderland ride. Under rated ride in my opinion

OK, for the very last ride of the day/this trip, it’s back to the granddaddy of boat rides – it’s a small world. 

20210813_223531.thumb.jpg.f7ecc463e6590d46d21331bf8b0edc23.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As we got off the Small World ride, it was around closing time of 11 PM.  Look how empty the pathway is by Matterhorn.

20210813_225430.thumb.jpg.e59bffc3110af69a5081c9ccd5e2a444.jpg

When we got to Main Street, we heard the announcement the park is now closed for the day but the stores on Main Street is opened one hour after park closes as Disney is more than happy to take whatever remaining few dollars you have left from your visit.

Last picture inside the park. As I upload this, I realized I should have turned around and taken one with the castle at night without people in front of it.  I suck as a photographer…

20210813_225906.thumb.jpg.8d93ef20fd86ce9868a04bdb79ef5110.jpg

By time we got back to hotel, it was 11:45 and we walked 11+ miles.  Tired and exhausted but very happy to have been on so many rides.  Not sure how many more of these go-go-go types of vacations I have left in me but glad to have finished this one

1498884761_Screenshot_20210813-234508_PedometerStepCounter(1).thumb.jpg.51bb7ff73a2a6c05ad346a7ad3cba20c.jpg

I’m typically the last person in the family to shower on vacation and by time I was going to bed, it was past 1:30 AM.

• Like 4

Day 8 – Homeward bound and on the road again for the 400 mile trip home. We will be back in Southern CA in September when my younger son moves into the dorms but that trip will be all business in packing and unloading car into the dorm.

Last hotel breakfast before we packed up all the stuff and loaded up the car. Tired or not of the same breakfast, you get to see it

On the road again

Traffic to leave Orange County/LA is always iffy, even at 12 noon on Saturday there’s traffic delays. Coming down we were taking the scenic route of 101 by the coast as we wanted to see Solvang. 

Going home, it was back to the faster I-5 freeway but I-5 doesn’t get much love among most travelers

https://travel-eat-cook.com/fastest-drive-from-sf-to-la/

Interesting to read the article afterwards to see she talked about couple of places I plan to show

• Like 3

For lunch, we ate at the tried and true west coast burger institution of In-N-Out Burger.

The burger joint is mostly in the west coast and it only opens few new eateries per year as its founder is very conservative in expanding its empire

When it does open like last year in Colorado, it created 10+ hour lines on opening day. Disneyland lines are nothing compared to this place

Quick background on the chain for those on the other side of Texas who never heard of In N Out. Some very interesting info about fast food industry as a whole

Every In N Out looks the same

20210814_135241.thumb.jpg.69eddfc5fd213005d057cffc2273493c.jpg

Then there’s the not so “secret menu”.  If you Google, In n out burger secret menu, you will see 28 million results. Yeah, seems like everybody and their cousin talks about the secret menu.  Heck, it’s even on their web site.

2020244734_Screenshot2021-08-29171037.jpg.fca1011a47908489f0f2cc6826d8f7b1.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a gale warning in my part of NY.It has been storming here for a while.The rain will supposedly end tomorrow morning.

I hope you are okay Lenny.

Just watched UK early morning news and the floods in New York and New Jersey look horrendous.

The subway was flooded.

Take care and stay safe Lenny and everyone else affected by the rain.

Graham.

• Like 1

Hoping all are safe from IDA.

We live in northeast Ohio, and we did not get one drop of rain, but prior to her we were drenched with daily storms.  Enough to make the ground saturated and some parts west of us did have flooding.

Today when I opened up my Iphone to check my mail I had a notice on my other social media site.  Not mentioning anything specifically, but I know you would know which one because the FACE would ring a bell.

So I hit on a post shared by my DD.  I am the one who gets the notice to remove it because it was investigated and found to be false.

Now mind you, when I hit on it  the post had over 30,000 likes and a couple thousand comments.

And I am the one to be selected to remove it.

I had this one other time and they removed it,  so this was totally new to me.

Did my DD get the alert.  Nope.

Sad to say, but I believe the non political post I shared on that site is believable.

Stay safe.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Once you have one you don’t forget how severe the pain can be. I have had so many I have lost count.  Mine, like most, are calcium/oculate stones.  Once I stopped drinking good ole southern black tea I have had less stones but it is hard not to drink the tea!

Wow...ouch!  Sorry you have had so many of them.  Have never had one (just knocked on the wooden desk here 😮 )....but had no idea you could get them from black tea.  Yikes...I have a cup every morning.  I thought they were from too many foods with calcium in them.  Little did I know.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Had to log in every time today so far that I have visited CC. Ugh.  

That is so odd, and indeed must be very frustrating!  I just open the website and am logged in already as usual.  

Wonder what difference is causing it?  

I am using lap top, and clear my cookies quite often, but have to log in just once after I clear them.  After that I am kept logged in until I clear them again.    Not sure if that helps or not?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

I had my first kidney stone experience in 1999. Agree about the pain. I remember my doctor asking if I drink a lot of water to keep the kidneys flushed out. I told him I drink beer, wine and coke as they all have water in them. He just shook his head. I did stop drinking coke and drink a lot more water. My kidney stone wouldn't move so I had to have the Lithotripsy procedure. 

Ouch!!  Sorry to hear you had to have that procedure.  😞 

I would say replace all beverage choices with the beer.  😄  

I drink a lot of water all day and night...and visit the little girls room quite often as result.  😉 

Though I also drink a glass of low calorie Cranberry juice in the morning (to replace heavy sugar OJ). With the tea, water,  juice, and happy hour wine...yeah, it cleans me out pretty good I guess. 🤭  So far so good and no kidney stones....so far anyway.  😮 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Hoping all are safe from IDA.

We live in northeast Ohio, and we did not get one drop of rain, but prior to her we were drenched with daily storms.  Enough to make the ground saturated and some parts west of us did have flooding.

Today when I opened up my Iphone to check my mail I had a notice on my other social media site.  Not mentioning anything specifically, but I know you would know which one because the FACE would ring a bell.

So I hit on a post shared by my DD.  I am the one who gets the notice to remove it because it was investigated and found to be false.

Now mind you, when I hit on it  the post had over 30,000 likes and a couple thousand comments.

And I am the one to be selected to remove it.

I had this one other time and they removed it,  so this was totally new to me.

Did my DD get the alert.  Nope.

Sad to say, but I believe the non political post I shared on that site is believable.

Stay safe.

I remember reading 1984 when I was a Sophomore in HS in 1983 and thinking that I was so glad that we would never live in a world like that.  It seems that good ole George was only off by about 40 years when he titled his book.
Kind of scary that a handful of people get to control the flow of information, whatever it maybe.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally some pictures of my golf trip.  Friday golf was in the afternoon at a place called Buffalo Ridge Springs.  We ate lunch at the Payne's Valley clubhouse because it had better food and sits up high with much better views.  The below pic doesn't really do justice to how high up we are.  In the middle of the left edge of the pic, you can see a couple of teeny golf carts on the 18th fairway.  The holes in the foreground are the Payne's Valley course and the holes along the ridge in the mid-ground are the Buffalo Ridge Springs course.

IMG_7527.thumb.jpg.fd16d66851a885e237e41b9cdbfd5203.jpg

IMG_6547.thumb.JPG.8e907cf877770f9d02ad6db8e74123ec.JPG

Buffalo Ridge was a beautiful course with live buffalo and an entrance sign that I liked.  I don't think I've ever taken a picture of a golfer with a buffalo in the background.  The last pic shows the view from the course back up to the clubhouse where we had lunch.

IMG_6539.thumb.jpg.3ffb37063392668be7d43be847a78510.jpg

IMG_6546.thumb.JPG.6508bc2efb798f8e56ac0e46d57fc44b.JPG

IMG_7529_jpg.thumb.jpg.86b832e40454074ff8d018f793c6df3c.jpg

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.6e4d8b918960dfe93ed40dd3557420db.JPG

• Like 10

19 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I was checking out the weather in the small town I grew up in in Western Pa where I grew up, 50 miles east of Pittsburgh.   Ida is pounding them. I see rain gauges showing more than 2 in, some more than 3, and more to come.  Mountainous  terrain ,  streams are going to get a lot of water with all on the runoff from the mountain, Laurel Mountain. All of my relatives in the area are on high ground, so they should be safe. 

We are getting it right now up here in Maine...what is left of Ida anyway.  

Been raining all night and not looking to stop anytime soon.  Quite the steady water flow.  Watching the lake for rising water in front of us...not too bad...yet.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Left the office a little before 7 pm and what normally takes 10 mins to get home took just under an hour.

Flooding everywhere, police shutting down roads that I could see several cars stuck in water.   

My next detour didnt go well huge tree down across the road.

After a lot of zig zagging I'm home and sweetie Eric had my dinner all heated up for me.

He heard on news there was 2 or 3 confirmed tornadoes only a couple miles from us.

This Ida is a mess!  I heard New orleans and other areas may be without electricity for 3 to 4 weeks.  

Anyone in her path, be safe, shes not nice!

Stay safe...good to see it clear out of your area now.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Stay safe...good to see it clear out of your area now.  

Wow!  Quite a mess in my county and surrounding counties.  Flooding issues just about everywhere this morning.  Have had local news on all morning watching various rescues with people stuck on 2nd floors of their home, some people stuck on roofs for over 5 hrs.   Lots of flooded cars then add onto that several towns with tornado damage.  Rivers/creeks still rising.  Horrible!  

Looking now on news at all the flooding from river in Philadelphia.  Saw major flooding in NYC too.  

All good at our house and on my street.  Couple of puddles in basement but not in finished area.  Wet basement system and new sump pump did their job.

• Like 7