Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

19 minutes ago, ATG said:

Our oldest son just moved near DC after living his whole life in Georgia, San Francisco and Abu Dhabi.  He just sent an email that it was snowing.  His Dad and I just laughed.  Looks pretty, but I HATE snow.  That’s why we moved from Indiana to Atlanta almost 40 years ago.

My son grew up in Georgia.  When it was time for him to look at colleges, he said "Maybe I'll go to Syracuse?"  (I am SU alumni).  I had to tell him, you have not  been conditioned to survive the winter there.  Boy didn't even own a winter coat or gloves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Sounds awesome Pat.  I'd love to buy a big RV like that someday and take it around the country.  Is it difficult to drive?  That's my main concern.

It's not easy to drive like a car.  You really have to pay attention when driving, and when it's windy...it's a bear to handle.  We made a common mistake when we got our first one, assuming we could do 500-600 miles in a day, like we would in a car for long distances.  Nope...close to divorce proceedings there.  😮  Best scenario is no longer than 250-300 mile days and under.   Usual driving time, add in 1/3 to total.   3-4 in a car...think 4-5 in a motorhome.  

Then the biggest problem.  People coming onto the highway and don't even look, assuming you can just "hop over" to the next lane to let them in.  What they don't see is the car/truck next to us in the passing lane.  No place to "hop over".  We have already been in one major accident when a 16 year didn't look and just assumed he could push onto the highway.  He spun out, and took out the whole front of the motorhome.  Lost use of it for a year while being repaired, had to rent a U-Haul to drive home from Michigan to Florida, including two scared cats.    

Funny thing is, if a tractor trailer is going by...they respect it.  But us...no.  We are 38 feet, towing a Jeep, making us as long and high as a tractor trailer.  And that situation is getting worse, especially in heavy traffic from mid coast to Maine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sitting here in my office (in my house).  Getting ready to start a new project and have a bunch of background material to wade through.  So in others words "procrastinating".  It is absolutely freezing in the house today.  The woman in charge told me last night that the heat was running too much and turned the thermostat down.  Even though she is gone for the day, I'm afraid to turn it up. 

I just calculated that if I turn it up, I need to turn it back down at 3pm, so the house gets cold before she gets home.  Leave no trace of the heat running.   I am realizing how well trained I am. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Hopefully ours will be here soon. Excited to try it even though I’m not a big coffee drinker.

Got my "Holiday Hoarding" box today.   Mmmm...5 bags of Black cup assorted.  Going to try the Holiday blend tomorrow morning.  😋

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That sounds nice. Besides the rv we had we also had a 40’ 5th wheel, but it only had one bathroom. Can’t imagine an rv with 2 bathrooms.

Our last one only had the one...we quickly realized it would be nice to have two.  😉  

Then again, when we are parked in a campground...one of us can always make dash to the campground bath house.  Assuming you make it.  😮 

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

When we were first dating 42 years ago I got Pauline a bouquet of flowers every week.

Her mam's house was always full of flowers.🤓

Bucky had to stop buying me flowers...the cats would keep trying to eat them.  😮 

Now...since we are pet free...have just gotten out of the habit I guess. 

We do have a lot of tropical plants all over the yard and around the house though.  🙂  Bucky grows a lot of them from seed.  Have six huge potted Pineapple plants, one with a Pineapple getting very ripe right now.  Thinking BBQ Chicken Pineapple pizza this weekend.  😉  And some fresh chunks for Bucky's nightly tropical rum drink.  🧉

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's not easy to drive like a car.  You really have to pay attention when driving, and when it's windy...it's a bear to handle.  We made a common mistake when we got our first one, assuming we could do 500-600 miles in a day, like we would in a car for long distances.  Nope...close to divorce proceedings there.  😮  Best scenario is no longer than 250-300 mile days and under.   Usual driving time, add in 1/3 to total.   3-4 in a car...think 4-5 in a motorhome.  

Then the biggest problem.  People coming onto the highway and don't even look, assuming you can just "hop over" to the next lane to let them in.  What they don't see is the car/truck next to us in the passing lane.  No place to "hop over".  We have already been in one major accident when a 16 year didn't look and just assumed he could push onto the highway.  He spun out, and took out the whole front of the motorhome.  Lost use of it for a year while being repaired, had to rent a U-Haul to drive home from Michigan to Florida, including two scared cats.    

Funny thing is, if a tractor trailer is going by...they respect it.  But us...no.  We are 38 feet, towing a Jeep, making us as long and high as a tractor trailer.  And that situation is getting worse, especially in heavy traffic from mid coast to Maine.  

Makes me nervous just reading that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

The snow has begun. We are in the possible.  4-8 inch range depending on the station you listen to. 

be safe. 

I'm in the possible 12 to 18 inches area and some news stations are saying that could be 19 to 24 inches.       It's 2020 so watch it will fizzle out and we get just a couple of inches with all the hype.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's not easy to drive like a car.   Nope...close to divorce proceedings there.    

Then the biggest problem.  People coming onto the highway and don't even look, assuming you can just "hop over" to the next lane to let them in.  

Funny thing is, if a tractor trailer is going by...they respect it.  But us...no.  

During the pandemic we have watched a lot of Youtube videos about living in an RV and travelling full time.  My wife, who has been feeling the pandemic restrictions much more than me, became determined that we should look to do this right after the pandemic.  She would retire from teaching, and I can easily work from the road.   

The things you mentioned above are the things I brought up to her as concerns.  A lot of the videos we watch are couple in their 30's monetized by Youtube, and making it all look "fun".  We are two 60 year old (I mean I am 60 married to a woman of indeterminate age) northeast Italians.  Us in an RV for hours on end would require the "Verified Age" login due to language. If I'm working, she would have to do a lot of the driving, not the way we travel now.  I'm sure the driving would be much more stressful than she is thinking. 

I know there are aspects we would love and could out weigh the issues, I just think you need to go into things eyes wide opened.  Not heeding this policy is why we ended up walking down 600 donkey poop covered steps in Santorini in 90 degree heat.  When people online tell you to get in line for the cable car early, you should say "Okay" and go get in line.

Edited by Domino D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Now I want a Jamaican Patty😪

I was thinking the same thing...but the ingredients are different.  Looks just like one though!!  

Mmmm...love those.  Definitely worth the walk to Spicy Nice near the fountain in downtown Falmouth! 

Yumms!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

One of the reasons we can't do a one bathroom house.  😉 😳

Agree. On our cruises I use the gym/spa showers in the morning for the day and late afternoon for getting ready for the evening . I shower, shave, brush my teeth and whatever else is required at the time. However I'm allowed to use the cabin bathroom at night before going to bed. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Agree. On our cruises I use the gym/spa showers in the morning for the day and late afternoon for getting ready for the evening . I shower, shave, brush my teeth and whatever else is required at the time. However I'm allowed to use the cabin bathroom at night before going to bed😉

And thankful that you can.

I have to wait until the BL is done with her shower and teeth.  Then when she sits at the desk to do her hair and makeup, I get the bathroom.  I would have to rush, but she likes to have a glass wine while doing her hair.  So long as no steam escapes the bathroom, which causes a redo on her hairdo, the system works. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Makes me nervous just reading that. 

Yeah, I try to hide my stress from Bucky...who is an aggressive driver anyway.  He does all the driving, since he is crap at navigation , and has no patience for it.

So that is my job..  I make sure he is in the correct lane ahead of time for an exit, and Google Earth map out gas stations, to be sure we have enough turn around area.  

We were close to selling it, assuming this last year, our cruising was "supposed" to ramp up for longer trips, so much for that.  Will think about selling it next year, but until then...we are keeping the travels locally in state now. 

We enjoy the "staying" part in the parks...not the traveling part.  Love taking the land yacht to the Florida Keys, but mostly our favorite...the pretty beaches (state parks) of the Florida Panhandle.  Have a 2-3 month tour coming up this Fall there.  🙂 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Domino D said:

During the pandemic we have watched a lot of Youtube videos about living in an RV and travelling full time.  My wife, who has been feeling the pandemic restrictions much more than me, became determined that we should look to do this right after the pandemic.  She would retire from teaching, and I can easily work from the road.   

The things you mentioned above are the things I brought up to her as concerns.  A lot of the videos we watch are couple in their 30's monetized by Youtube, and making it all look "fun".  We are two 60 year old (I mean I am 60 married to a woman of indeterminate age) northeast Italians.  Us in an RV for hours on end would require the "Verified Age" login due to language. If I'm working, she would have to do a lot of the driving, not the way we travel now.  I'm sure the driving would be much more stressful than she is thinking. 

I'm know there are aspects we would love and could out weigh the issues, I just think you need to go into things eyes wide opened.  Not heeding this policy is why we ended up walking down 600 donkey poop covered steps in Santorini in 90 degree heat.  When people online tell you to get in line for the cable car early, you should say "Okay" and go get in line.

That is quite common....and in fact we considered becoming what they call "full timers".  Then the accident happened, loaded us...the cats...and all the stuff from the land yacht into a U-Haul to travel home to Florida from Michigan.  Motor home was in repair for almost a year...it was that bad.  Sooo...where do you live when that happens?  Or even repairs that can last 3-4 days?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yeah, I try to hide my stress from Bucky...who is an aggressive driver anyway.  He does all the driving, since he is crap at navigation , and has no patience for it.

We enjoy the "staying" part in the parks...not the traveling part.  Love taking the land yacht to the Florida Keys, but mostly our favorite...the pretty beaches (state parks) of the Florida Panhandle.  Have a 2-3 month tour coming up this Fall there.  🙂 

This is us too. If Jane isn't asleep on a drive, she is (rightfully) complaining about my NYC Taxi Cab inspired driving.  I have been trying to convince her that we can travel in an SUV and just plan out Airbnb's to base out of in an area.  The down to side to that is we would have to stay on a stricter schedule, and probably not be able to stop as often.  #tradeoffs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Not heeding this policy is why we ended up walking down 600 donkey poop covered steps in Santorini in 90 degree heat.  When people online tell you to get in line for the cable car early, you should say "Okay" and go get in line.

Yuck!!  Reminds me when we decided to walk the back roads in Mackinac Island Michigan...no cars there...just horses.  Phewwww!!!   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

So that is my job..  I make sure he is in the correct lane ahead of time for an exit, and Google Earth map out gas stations, to be sure we have enough turn around area.  

We were close to selling it, assuming this last year, our cruising was "supposed" to ramp up for longer trips, so much for that.  Will think about selling it next year, but until then...we are keeping the travels locally in state now. 

In this case it's more about the destination than the adventure of getting there. And at the end of the day, chill out with a glass or however many of wine or drink of the day and relax. 🍺🍷

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. On our cruises I use the gym/spa showers in the morning for the day and late afternoon for getting ready for the evening . I shower, shave, brush my teeth and whatever else is required at the time. However I'm allowed to use the cabin bathroom at night before going to bed. 😉

Oh wow...we are not to that point...yet...luckily.   But I have had to wonder off to the nearest restroom, when Bucky spent too much time in the bathroom a few times.  😉 

In the mornings...fortunately he sleeps in.  I get up early, use the single bath...then dress and go to the lounge to bring back coffee. 

Being the sweet wife I am...I set his fresh hot coffee next to Mr. Sleeping beauty...as his alarm clock..then I enjoy my Latte on the balcony and he has his turn. 🙂 

• Like 3