Re-purposing Princess tote bags

PescadoAmarillo

After you’ve used up all your fabric and elastic making masks for the medical community, use your seam ripper to dismantle a Princess tote bag. I’m making these for us and friends. They stand up to a good bath in boiling water to disinfect. If you don’t have a sewing machine, I actually got this idea from this article which doesn’t require one:

DIY face masks

Raggedy Ann modeled because it was the second in a row of my no-shower days. 🤭

EE737895-50D9-4D9B-9A4A-9656713BED0F.jpeg

9C0D6B9C-BF38-46D0-A856-ED009D33318E.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We haven't cruised as much as Pescado and we still have enough bags for everyone in our small neighborhood.

Same here, but we have not kept them, so cannot use this great idea.  I am thinking they might be a bit "scratchy", but any port in a storm.

23 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

After you’ve used up all your fabric and elastic making masks for the medical community, use your seam ripper to dismantle a Princess tote bag. I’m making these for us and friends. They stand up to a good bath in boiling water to disinfect. If you don’t have a sewing machine, I actually got this idea from this article which doesn’t require one:

DIY face masks

Raggedy Ann modeled because it was the second in a row of my no-shower days. 🤭

EE737895-50D9-4D9B-9A4A-9656713BED0F.jpeg

Just fantastic!  She looks great!  Thanks so much🌝

41 minutes ago, bcnvcanada said:

What a good idea, but we have never took them.  How about

the most traveled bags, they are made out of much heavier

material.   

I think they would be way too thick, to pleat or to breathe through. In fact, the news article I reference above said to use two layers of the (blue) tote bags per mask, which is what I used for the mask in the photo, but even it was too heavy to breathe through on a serious walk or run.  It took a couple of tries, but I’ve now settled on using just one layer of the blue bags. The goal is just to stop the spray when one talks, but as everyone in our area is now wearing something, we have all discovered that wearing any mask reminds us to not touch our faces, which is probably as good at preventing illness as anything. 

Also, I don’t recommend using the Princess or sea witch logos in a mask. They are also hard to breathe through.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

If you could get the Princess Logo in the middle of the face, I think you could pay for you next cruise with sales here.

Since princess has been lately lax in clever slogans like: "Balcony Bonanza", and "Three for Free"..

I suggest you call this "Sales for Sails"

• Like 1