Need advice on cancellation policy

skings

Have 3 upcoming flights which have been cancelled by airlines. Air France ( have accepted voucher) Norwegian (they sent me choice of credit voucher or cash refund) Checked Cash.

Tap Portugal just listed my flight back to US on May 5th as cancelled, when I check refund all they offer is future credit. Dont they have to give me cash option by US law (refunded back to card) if I refuse future credit?

Yes based on the DOT ruling that came out last week.  Good luck getting it.  My Aunt's in the same boat.  All they offered for a flight they cancelled (TAP) and rebooked for the next day, was a voucher.  She's filing a complaint with TAP and she also sent one to DOT.  And she's been fighting with them for at least 2 weeks.  

Edited by megr1125

When an airline cancels your flight, and cannot get you on another flight within a few hours (this varies by airline) they are required to give you a complete cash refund.  But most airlines will try to coerce folks into accepting vouchers which usually come with restrictions and hassles.   In this situation we would not accept a voucher and demand a complete refund.  Make sure there is a record of your request and keep a log of any phone calls, e-mails, etc.  If the airline still refuses to give the refund you should then contact your credit card company and put the transaction into "dispute."  

Hank

• Like 2

Good morning, I am in the same position.  I had to cancel 2 flights back in March and just received an email from TAP.

I now have 2 vouchers....I don't want vouchers.  I want my VISA credited back.  Fortunately, it was not

a lot of money (which is not the point) but I have no clue when/if I will be flying to or around Europe again.  I will be

calling them this morning.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I am in the same position.  I had to cancel 2 flights back in March and just received an email from TAP.

I now have 2 vouchers....I don't want vouchers.  I want my VISA credited back.  Fortunately, it was not

a lot of money (which is not the point) but I have no clue when/if I will be flying to or around Europe again.  I will be

calling them this morning.

l - the issue in your case is that you cancelled and not the airline.

They make some accommodation, but in this environment, quite possibly not for passengers who cancel before the airline.

bon voyage

But I purchased a "refundable ticket".....I spoke with TAP this morning and the gal gave me an email address. I wrote

them concerning my situation.  If they don't give me the refund? I will just be out that amount of money. I honestly don't know when I will be flying to, or around Europe again.

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

But I purchased a "refundable ticket".....I spoke with TAP this morning and the gal gave me an email address. I wrote

them concerning my situation.  If they don't give me the refund? I will just be out that amount of money. I honestly don't know when I will be flying to, or around Europe again.

You bought a "refundable" ticket from TAP or from your cruiseline?  Significant difference.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

You bought a "refundable" ticket from TAP or from your cruiseline?  Significant difference.

I bought it directly through TAP.   I was supposed to fly from Barcelona to Lisbon and bought the ticket via the TAP

website.

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Ahhh, okay, you are in a better position, for sure...

A credit card dispute with the supporting documentation may be in order if there is no budge on TAP's side.

I trust you did not accept the vouchers??

bon voyage

40 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Ahhh, okay, you are in a better position, for sure...

A credit card dispute with the supporting documentation may be in order if there is no budge on TAP's side.

I trust you did not accept the vouchers??

bon voyage

Hi Bo, I got 2 emails....did I accept them? I opened the emails thinking they were going to tell me credits had

been issued.  I spoke with TAP this morning and was given another email address to refunds. So, I emailed them

about it.  This may sound odd, but the flights were VERY cheap and I am not going to stress over it.  I will try to

get them to refund me via my CC but if they say "no"...…...I am just going to move on.

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Bo, I got 2 emails....did I accept them? I opened the emails thinking they were going to tell me credits had

been issued.  I spoke with TAP this morning and was given another email address to refunds. So, I emailed them

about it.  This may sound odd, but the flights were VERY cheap and I am not going to stress over it.  I will try to

get them to refund me via my CC but if they say "no"...…...I am just going to move on.

You are in a good position L, refundable....

bon voyage