Queen Elizabeth Position

sfred

• 1 month later...

I saw that webcam image also, taken from the roof of the Pacific Hotel.  Looks like a nice morning in Cairns.

Over in the "Where in the World" thread, I think QE's call to Cairns today qualifies as a "new port" under our recently adjusted definitions.  Previously, Cairns had been recorded under Cairns (Yorkeys Knob) in @bluemarble's post 1195 on 13 October 2020.  That post was a webcam photo showing QM2 anchored offshore from Yorkeys Knob, a more common location for large ships.  Today's QE call is to Cairns city, and the two locations are separated by around 20km, which arguably makes today's QE call a new port?

image.png.2366c89980716458f78a4ecc53289ec4.png

• Like 3

I'm currently on board Queen Elizabeth. It's a 'beautiful' day in Cairns for those who like it very hot and very very humid! The sun is shining now so the intensity has increased.

The ship's crew have been using the very calm sea conditions since leaving Eden (at the latest) to be doing a great deal of work on deck - lots of painting, scrubbing and repairing or adjusting parts of the lifeboats. Today, while we're docked in Cairns, there's at least one fellow hanging on a device cleaning the ship's windows which should make certain people heard complaining about the dirty windows, happy.

Number of passengers on board as reported to me by a member of crew is around 1,600; a number of passengers pulled out when the itinerary was changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

QE is slightly offshore from Singapore this morning, heading eastbound in rather crowded traffic lanes.  Looks like some sea trials are planned for today after the drydock in Sembawang.

image.thumb.png.947de18cc6d7c3240a6b4453fdef7f77.png

QE is at the Marina Bay Singapore cruise terminal today for embarkation.  Spectrum of the Seas is moored on the other side of the pier.  Best wishes to anyone boarding today for the trip to Japan.

image.png.6a8e0e3c549ffe563700b8d032dd82fd.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

QE is in Hualien, Taiwan today (13 April 2023), potentially a maiden call to this port.  I looked for a webcam of her arrival, but could not find any coverage of the port area.  If anyone is aboard who can post a photo either here or over in the "Where in the World" thread, very much appreciated.

image.png.38563026f24f6ad3785f12520f04157e.png

Edited by sfred

• 2 weeks later...

QE is in Busan, Korea today.  Interestingly, she is moored at the Busan Port International Passenger Terminal on the city side of the Busan Harbour Bridge.  I guess QE was able to fit underneath the bridge this morning, with her air draft of approximately 56m just under the bridge clearance of 60m. 

When Mrs sfred and I were in Busan on QM2 on 24 March 2017, we used the Busan cruise terminal with the finger pier (adjacent to the Maritime Museam) at the far lower right of the Marine Traffic map shown below -- seaward of the bridge.  QE also used this termnal during her 2016 world cruise.  (@Palmeat posted a photo of QE there in the "Where in the World" thread). 

Best wishes to everyone for a nice port day, and perhaps a tasty BiBimBap lunch while ashore.

image.png.02e2917509f26118d69a090cdee96bf1.png

• 4 weeks later...

QE is in Aburatsu Japan today, on the eastern shore of Kyushu.  I've searched for a webcam showing her arrival, or at the pier, but no luck.  There is a webcam located further north in Miyazaki that might record her departure later tonight, although she may be too far offshore by then to appear.

Aburatsu is an unseen port in our "Where in the World game, so if anyone here on Cruise Critic happens to be aboard and can post a photo, it would be much appreciated.

image.png.b7e2621f9844a1aad649c1d3478364c2.png

QE is in Kochi Japan today.  Another unseen port in "Where in the World".  And unfortunately another port where I've failed to find a webcam covering the port area.

image.png.5a24c336031f2bd799b5d8250d1a3b52.png

After years of looking at this forum, finally signed up and have a bit of a cheesy image to contribute, confirming QE at Kochi today! Fantastic day for a great visit and the Japanese are just so welcoming.

IMG_7934.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sfred, as per April 23rd, on Friday 19th May QE came up to the Busan International Passenger Terminal again - certainly helped me out as we headed straight to the rail station for a return trip to Seoul…less than a 10 minute walk away. A lot of work going on in Busan seemingly in connection with Expo 2030.

IMG_7937.png

IMG_7936.png

• Like 4

To complete the last 4 days of Port calls for QE, Nagasaki was visited on Saturday 20th May - was due to be Hiroshima…but G7 put paid to that. Nevertheless Nagasaki is a fine destination, with obvious similar history to Hiroshima, with the Cruise Terminal literally a stones throw from town.

IMG_7935.png

• Like 5

Many thanks @martinmct!!   I hope you have been having a fun and enjoyable voyage.

Would it be okay if I repost your Kochi and Aburatsu photos in the "Where in the World" thread?  It will give us two more ports that we can add to our list.

Sfred, we have been ‘stuck’ on here since 6th May and ‘have’ to stay until 20th June - there are far worse ways to spend life! No problem whatsoever with the phots - I’ll see if I can dig a few more out - believe Myakojima was a maiden call too…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your Kagoshima photo.  That is a much better view than the webcams that @bluemarble and I found of that port.

Interestingly, since your QE port call there, there has been a partial eruption of the Sakurajima volcano.  Volcanic ash was spread over the eastern part of Kyushu.  Here are two web sites with some photos.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/02/08/national/sakurajima-eruption-kagoshima/

https://volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=282080