Queen Elizabeth Position

sfred

17 minutes ago, D&N said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that when viewing MarineTraffic (without subscription) after a ship has departed from a tendering port, it often appears that some of the tenders have been left behind?

I find the thought that they might have forgotten about them mildly amusing. 😂

Yes, that happens quite often. Marinetraffic likes to report the last known position of each vessel for 24 hours. Naturally the tenders transmit their AIS positions while they are in use. Once they are taken back on board and their AIS transmitters are turned off, it does look like they have been left behind when marinetraffic continues to show their last known positions.

Even more amusing are cases where a tender has been brought back on board but its AIS transmitter has been left turned on. Then you can see marinetraffic showing the tender sailing alongside the mother ship as it's leaving port. Because of timing differences with the positions marintraffic reports at any given time, it may look like the tender is actually sailing ahead or behind the ship when that happens.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And 2 more of Queen Elizabeth at Villefranche-sur-Mer today:

Bow view, taken from the road above the railway station.

And a port side view taken from a view point "Batterie/Princesse Grâce" on West side of the Rade de Villefranche-sur-Mer, with a "Trans Côte d'Azur" boat alongside. Probably providing an excursion directly from the ship, although some cruise lines deploy the local operator to provide tendering services. Not the case here as several tenders were in use.

I'd forgotten to take the SD card adaptor with me to transfer camera images to the phone for posting so had to wait until I was home for posting.

P1040889.JPG

P1040898.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Welcome back to Australia, QE! Here is a webcam capture showing QE entering Fremantle Harbour a few minutes ago. Who would have thought when she left Brisbane on April 7, 2020 it would be two years and seven months (to the day) until she returned to Australia?

This is a capture from the Victoria Quay harbourcam found on the Fremantle Ports website at "https://www.fremantleports.com.au/the-port/harbourcams/victoria-quay-harbourcam". I am posting this image courtesy of Fremantle Ports.

728116874_QEFremantleArrival2022-11-07.thumb.jpg.1a7a405c12c581bdd0154b959c45f23d.jpg

• Like 7

Well we're up super early and staying only 10 minutes from the pier so thought we might walk down and have a look - still a few hours to go before we board so we'll be coming back to the hotel for breakfast and do some last minute shopping for some essentials before boarding at 1.00. Very excited!

• Like 2

QE is in Adelaide today. Here is a capture of her arrival on the Outer Harbor webcam from the Government of South Australia Department of Infrastructure and Transport website found at "www.dptiapps.com.au/data/outer/outerharb000M.jpg". I am posting this image per the terms of the Creative Commons Australia Attribution 3.0 Licence stated on their website.

outerharb000M.jpg.7b0fe512a04d2e405454ba35e81015b0.jpg

• Like 3

I feel both happy and sad. Happy to see QE back in Sydney where we will do an 8 day cruise to Hobart and return in January on her - and sad because in April 2020 we were meant to pick her up in Yokohama for a 38 day cruise around Japan and Alaska. Even sadder because when that cruise was cancelled , my wife and I (being poverty stricken, inside Stateroom type people) managed to book a Q4 stateroom for a cruise to the US from Australia at an UNBELIEVABLY and RIDICULOUSLY low fare . Alas, that was not to sail either and we are NEVER likely to see the like of the deal that we got for that 😞   What would we do with a Butler anyway?? - we are Aussies.  😞  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I feel both happy and sad. Happy to see QE back in Sydney where we will do an 8 day cruise to Hobart and return in January on her - and sad because in April 2020 we were meant to pick her up in Yokohama for a 38 day cruise around Japan and Alaska. Even sadder because when that cruise was cancelled , my wife and I (being poverty stricken, inside Stateroom type people) managed to book a Q4 stateroom for a cruise to the US from Australia at an UNBELIEVABLY and RIDICULOUSLY low fare . Alas, that was not to sail either and we are NEVER likely to see the like of the deal that we got for that 😞   What would we do with a Butler anyway?? - we are Aussies.  😞  

Talk about cricket? 😀

• 1 month later...

I haven't been keeping close enough tabs on webcam sightings lately. QE is in Lyttelton today. Here is a capture this afternoon showing QE on the Inner Harbour West webcam found on the Lyttelton Port Company website at "lpc.co.nz/cams/inner_harbour.jpg". I am copying the image here per my understanding of their Terms of Use policy including acknowledgment that the image is the intellectual property of and is owned by the Lyttelton Port Company.

inner_harbour.thumb.jpg.79c11bbf6485978f1cddd3938403ac97.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...