Will Ryndam be Ready for Summer 2021 Season?

jimdee3636

The new "Ryndam" is scheduled to begin sailing on May 15, 2021, but the shipyard building it---Fincantieri---has been closed for nearly six weeks due to the ravages of coronavirus in Italy and there is apparently no date set for re-opening. I don't know if a shipyard can make up for lost time, but, if not, then at least the first half-dozen or so sailings will have to be cancelled. On top of that, I'm wondering if Carnival Corp. is going to be able to keep pouring vast sums of money into the construction of this ship at a time when they're burning through cash big-time. My wife and I are booked on what's supposed to be the ship's inaugural transatlantic, and that's not until early October of 2021. However, I'm wondering if it will even happen at all. Has anyone heard anything recently about the status of the "Ryndam"?

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

The new "Ryndam" is scheduled to begin sailing on May 15, 2021, but the shipyard building it---Fincantieri---has been closed for nearly six weeks due to the ravages of coronavirus in Italy and there is apparently no date set for re-opening. I don't know if a shipyard can make up for lost time, but, if not, then at least the first half-dozen or so sailings will have to be cancelled. On top of that, I'm wondering if Carnival Corp. is going to be able to keep pouring vast sums of money into the construction of this ship at a time when they're burning through cash big-time. My wife and I are booked on what's supposed to be the ship's inaugural transatlantic, and that's not until early October of 2021. However, I'm wondering if it will even happen at all. Has anyone heard anything recently about the status of the "Ryndam"?

They should cancel, there's no longer a need for more big ships..

Being delayed is probable, but disappointing, because we were supposed to be cruising early summer 2021. I'm guessing our Sept 2020 cruise out of Venice will be canceled as well. Yikes!! Guess we'll be looking at other options.

I wonder how far along in the build process the Ryndam is.  I doubt that she will be cancelled unless Carnival Corporation simply does not have the cash or the credit lines to continue the build.  If so, there will be several other CCL operating companies ships that will experience the same fate.  I'd not be surprised if there will be no future orders for some and that some that are projected for delivery several years from now will be cancelled.  

44 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder how far along in the build process the Ryndam is.  I doubt that she will be cancelled unless Carnival Corporation simply does not have the cash or the credit lines to continue the build.  If so, there will be several other CCL operating companies ships that will experience the same fate.  I'd not be surprised if there will be no future orders for some and that some that are projected for delivery several years from now will be cancelled.  

Agree.  I would expect Ryndam to be delivered by the shipyard, but delayed for sure.  Hopefully for Carnival, revenue will have resumed long before "final payment" is due.  I also think future new builds will be cancelled.  Some of the other cruise lines that have expanded very quickly in the last few years may suffer more so.