Tram in Juneau

sellwingri

Is the tram located near the pier?  It’s listed as a shore excursion on my Royal cruise in September and I don’t want to purchase it if it’s walking distance since it’ll probably be cheaper if we buy on our own.

Easily walking distance. Practically just across the street. 

To save even more we hiked up and road the tram down. They only ask you make a purchase at the gift shop at the top. 

The beginning of the trail head is a little ways down but not hard to find.

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I don’t want to purchase it if it’s walking distance since it’ll probably be cheaper if we buy on our own.

On some ships, the price is the same and the tickets can be turned in for refund if you don't use them because you run out of time or there is rain/fog. Plus you don't have to stand in line for tickets at the tram.

You can save money if you have the time and are able and willing to hike up as @SJSchell described.

Wait until you get to Juneau and buy your ticket at the tram entry area.  Check the weather before you buy your ticket.  If it is a cloudy, rainy day you will have very little visibility from above so no point in going up there.  

Edited by oaktreerb

Thanks for your help.  No way I can hike up since I use a cane (bad knee).  Hopefully our Sept Alaskan cruise on Ovation of the Seas will sail.  I know that Princess canceled all 2020 Alaskan cruises but no word yet from Royal.  

5 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Thanks for your help.  No way I can hike up since I use a cane (bad knee).  Hopefully our Sept Alaskan cruise on Ovation of the Seas will sail.  I know that Princess canceled all 2020 Alaskan cruises but no word yet from Royal.  

Princess has not cancelled all cruises. They have cancelled all one way cruises and cruises until July 1st. They have not cancelled RT out of Seattle sailings from July 1st and forward.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
21 hours ago, mskaufman said:

From the top of Mt. Roberts you can see that there are multiple piers.  The length of the walk depends on where you are docked.IMG_6644.thumb.JPG.72ffed7b98be24c2233a2c396d09d557.JPG

And if you're on the ship in the upper right, you will have to swim part of the way.

• Haha 2