The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

On 5/14/2020 at 9:59 PM, cruiseluv said:

Good for you, do what you think is right! But please, dont suffocate me with your virtue signaling, it really doesnt shame me

Ah, this reminds me of a funny story I was having with a friend who was my roomate when we got our PhDs. 

Later in life when we discussed our son's progress to graduate from diapers.   My room mate asked me, did you remember anyone in kindergarten or 1st grade still in diapers.   I laughed, he said public shaming works wonders, sadly somehow being stupid in public isn't shamed anymore.

Not advocating it but I remembered when I grew up in a small very um I'll call it not worldy college town.  There were fist fights once a week, often getting kids to toe the line. These days we have a leader encouraging instead of shaming... so here we are I guess.

But hopefully on cruises we can all be good and follow the rules that are there for best of us all, yes they might require some to give up what they think are their freedom.   But that is the cost of having a vacation in a brewing ground of diseases.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Ah, this reminds me of a funny story I was having with a friend who was my roomate when we got our PhDs. 

Later in life when we discussed our son's progress to graduate from diapers.   My room mate asked me, did you remember anyone in kindergarten or 1st grade still in diapers.   I laughed, he said public shaming works wonders, sadly somehow being stupid in public isn't shamed anymore.

Not advocating it but I remembered when I grew up in a small very um I'll call it not worldy college town.  There were fist fights once a week, often getting kids to toe the line. These days we have a leader encouraging instead of shaming... so here we are I guess.

But hopefully on cruises we can all be good and follow the rules that are there for best of us all, yes they might require some to give up what they think are their freedom.   But that is the cost of having a vacation in a brewing ground of diseases.

Really enjoyed your story and your post.  For the most part, I find Regent cruisers very friendly and kind.  Most of them do not bring up controversial subjects at dinner or when having cocktails.  

Your comment about "freedom" is interesting.  It seems that different generations have different opinions as to what our freedom is (won't go into details).

We look forward to our next Regent cruise - whenever that may be (still hoping for November).  From what I'm reading on CC, the people that do not want to give up some of their freedoms will not be cruising.  As to those of us that are anxious to sail, we just want to be safe and to keep the crew safe so we'll follow whatever new rules Regent has in place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

From what I'm reading on CC, the people that do not want to give up some of their freedoms will not be cruising.  

With all due respect, for us it has nothing to do with "freedoms".  It has to do with having to wear something stuffy and uncomfortable and pay a lot of money to do so.  Why cruise - and pay a good amount of money for it - if you are going to be uncomfortable?

• Like 5

Actually, I have no fear if being on a Regent ship as they were not long ago, with no mask. But tonight I saw on the NBC evening news that the airlines were strongly resisting any attempts to impose distancing requirements on them. Oh, they  will require passengers to wear masks. That is perhaps good. But will they give passengers more space? No! So, if the airlines succeed in their resistance of distancing, our cruising days are over. We have to do considerable flying to get to a cruise port, and we will not do it on a crammed up “flying sardined can” that the airlines want to offer us, especially during this pandemic. I know some on this board don’t want to  read posts about poor or dangerous airline service. So just ignore this one! But we would cruise Regent the minute they are able to go, if I could justify the cost of a private jet to get to the portl. But I can’t  

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Whatever, your previous storyboard was lost on me, after all I dont have a PhD... enjoy your cruise on your "brewing ground of diseases"! And don't forget, bring your mask!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We look forward to our next Regent cruise - whenever that may be (still hoping for November).  From what I'm reading on CC, the people that do not want to give up some of their freedoms will not be cruising.  As to those of us that are anxious to sail, we just want to be safe and to keep the crew safe so we'll follow whatever new rules Regent has in place.

Wow!! Really? do we have to check our freedoms at the gangplank?? If that's so, I will gladly not cruise. Hey, enjoy yourself with your face coverings and whatever else is required. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Wow!! Really? do we have to check our freedoms at the gangplank?? If that's so, I will gladly not cruise. Hey, enjoy yourself with your face coverings and whatever else is required. 

Well said. I’m starting to see a sort of desperation of some people that just can’t think of anything else but a cruise. 

Edited by JVNYC
  • Like 5

Can we please be civil and get back to the topic at hand?  This thread is not about whether you will cruise again or not, but what the experience will likely be like, given that you do.

And I'm biting my tongue here--there are some comments that I consider very highly political, in the worst way.  Please just stop it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wendy, to be fair, I brought up the "freedoms" issue because that is what people in our state are discussing.   I do need to comment that those of us that are willing to wear masks do not need to be bullied.  I don't see anyone making snarky comments to those that do not wish to wear masks.  My comments have been simply that there are some places that do or will require them and people will either adhere to the rules or not go to places that have that requirement.

Have to chuckle about those of us that are anxious to cruise and only thinking about that.  We have been home 99% of the time since March 13th.  We speak to our family every day and contact friends frequently (we now have nothing to talk about so just email that fact).  I could think about my 2 year old refrigerator that had the freezer go out yesterday - filled with steaks, halibut, etc. the the fact that there is no one to come out and fix it.  I bring this up because, for us, cruising would get us out of the house and back o the open seas - amongst a wonderful crew that may have to keep their distance but will have smiles on their faces - even if the smile is behind a mask (just ordered two masks - one that has a smile on it and that says "I'm smiling" ). Just trying to make the best or a horrible situation.

As we go forward, I find the interviews with Frank Del Rio to be quite interesting.  I seem to learn something new in each interview.  As with the world, things tend to change on a daily basis.  People also change their opinions, their views on the world and on others around us.  I find myself reaching out to neighbors - asking if they need anything.  I sent a check to my petsitter as she has been out of work and have tried to be calmer on this board (which has been about 80% successful).  

When I learn something new about how cruising could be going forward, I will definitely share the information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would think that every person posting here has a strong affection for cruising, and most have a desire to cruise.  Whether all will be able to do so is still up in the air, but probably most will have the opportunity again at some point in the future.  In the meantime, we are frustrated by the current situation and, as Jackie just said, have "nothing to talk about."  So in a way we are spinning our wheels, trying to pass the time until we can resume our normal lives, including cruising. 

We are going through the stages of grief about cruising, the pandemic, the economy, and everything:  denial, anger, depression, bargaining, and eventually acceptance.  Thinking about "The Future of Luxury Cruising" can easily lead to negative speculation and complaints at this point.  Or one could say we are angry and depressed.

The sooner we can get to acceptance, the better, but I fear that won't be able to happen until things are able to open up and life can start working its way back to normal, whatever that is.  When our favorite cruise line(s) are able to sail successfully again, that could be a turning point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Jackie, my post wasn't about you.

Oh, and when one of our heat pumps went out in our condo about a month ago, when it was still really cold, we were able to arrange for someone to come and fix it.  They were only doing emergencies, and he wore mask, gloves and slippers while in the unit.  So maybe there's hope.  

24 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I would think that every person posting here has a strong affection for cruising, and most have a desire to cruise.  Whether all will be able to do so is still up in the air, but probably most will have the opportunity again at some point in the future.  In the meantime, we are frustrated by the current situation and, as Jackie just said, have "nothing to talk about."  So in a way we are spinning our wheels, trying to pass the time until we can resume our normal lives, including cruising. 

We are going through the stages of grief about cruising, the pandemic, the economy, and everything:  denial, anger, depression, bargaining, and eventually acceptance.  Thinking about "The Future of Luxury Cruising" can easily lead to negative speculation and complaints at this point.  Or one could say we are angry and depressed.

The sooner we can get to acceptance, the better, but I fear that won't be able to happen until things are able to open up and life can start working its way back to normal, whatever that is.  When our favorite cruise line(s) are able to sail successfully again, that could be a turning point.

Thank you Susie, a very calming and I know nice can be an overused word but it is a really nice post.

Both of us were a little down, this helped give a little uplift.

Back on track with Wendy’s thread, hah, I did say good luck with keeping it on track.

It will be pretty simple, in that whatever choices are made by the cruise lines to adhere to CDC or whichever regulatory body brings them into being, we as individuals  can decide to agree with those regulations and go cruising or not.

if masks are required and you would not tolerate them then don’t go cruising.

This is why I agreed with Susies post, acceptance is the keyword. Once the regulations /requirements are posted and agreed upon then people can decide to accept or not.

1 hour ago, Foggyzx9r said:

This is why I agreed with Susies post, acceptance is the keyword. Once the regulations /requirements are posted and agreed upon then people can decide to accept or not.

Thank you, Foggyzx9r. 

Once we know what the new (temporary?) rules are, we will all have to accept them.  Either agree to follow the rules and cruise, or accept that we will not cruise under those rules.  I am hopeful that both a vaccine and better treatments will come sooner than later, and that the cruise lines can handle it very similarly to the way that other viruses are handled.  Hopefully I am not still in denial -- LOL

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, for us it has nothing to do with "freedoms".  It has to do with having to wear something stuffy and uncomfortable and pay a lot of money to do so.  Why cruise - and pay a good amount of money for it - if you are going to be uncomfortable?

Agree probably need to stay at home then, well explained.   

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Looks like there is discussion as to whether senior citizens will receive the vaccine at all; at least at the start.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-vaccine-frontrunners-emerge-rollouts-weighed/ar-BB14cuah

Marc

Interesting article - thank you for posting.  I agree completely with the order in which the vaccine may be distributed.  The part about seniors was less clear.  One would think that the vaccine would go to the most vulnerable - regardless of age.  

I know it's fiction and it isn't specific to cruising but I watched a movie this weekend called Contagion. It has Gwyneth Paltrow and Matt Damon in it and was released in 2011. I can't say that it is a great movie but it is eerily similar to what we are seeing with the way COVID-19 is playing out and the societal issues. At times, it seemed like they must have made this film in 2020. They do deal with the vaccination distribution issue and how it impacted behavior. I have no intention of turning this board into a movie discussion but just in case you want to take a short break from these cruising discussions, it is a diversion. 

Interest post pappy!  

Heard positive news this morning during my semi-weekly shopping trip.  Apparently, Greece is doing so well that it "may" allow foreign visitors next month.  Israel is also doing quite well.  Could this be a hint that some countries will be reopening for cruises?  Also, stocks on some cruise lines went up since it has shown that loyal past customers are still booking!

Lots of talk about some of the changes that are in effect becoming permanent (non-touch payment for instance).  One thing that I noticed is that people seem to have less colds this year - likely due to to masks.  Can you imagine how much healthier we would all be if people that were sick (any communicable illness) wore a mask?  They have been doing this in Asia for years and it isn't such a bad thing.  Admittedly, as soon as I get in the car after my shopping tour, I immediately take the mask off (and spray it) as as well as my eye protection and gloves (gloves obviously thrown away after carefully removing them) however, if we could all avoid getting sick, IMO, it is a good thing!

• Haha 1

I was musing about where in the world I might imagine cruising again some day.  As someone with no reservations, no worries about cancellations (beyond getting my refund back), and without grand aspirations.

One issue would be flying.  I don't really want to cruise in the Caribbean (although I might if I'm in Florida already and desperate), so putting that destination aside, flying from North America, it would likely be Europe for us.  Except for the U.K. they seem to have a decent handle tracking and preventing the virus, so I would trust most countries there to do things right.  That goes for Scandinavia as well, except perhaps Sweden. 

So I can imagine doing either a summer 2021 Norwegian fjords, or maybe something like Voyager, Oslo to Amsterdam, in July.  This itinerary doesn't do the northern bits, but goes up as far as Trondheim.  12 nights, a decent length.

Or the Med.  Something like Mariner Venice - Barcelona, October 2021.  15 nights, nice itinerary.  Would have to be September or October, the spring perhaps would be too early given the continuing threat of the virus, but fall might be okay.  And summer in the Med is out of the question for me, ever, just too hot. 

There are other lines that I'd consider for my first cruise post-covid.  Azamara has had nice itineraries to Norway--we were actually booked on one for a while, but changed our minds.  And Seabourn, we would definitely consider them again.

Any hopes and dreams to share, beyond trips that you have already got booked?

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, join us for New York to New York on Navigator.  Easy flights.  94 nights; great ports; 31 May 2021

Wow, that looks like a great trip, Marc!  I'll wait and see--it's a bit soon perhaps, and not sure about the cold-weather destinations.  I love little Navigator, but David's not so enthusiastic about it. 

But it certainly is a grand circle!