The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

Mariners, thank you for your post.  Nothing I wrote was in jest although the sarcasm was real.  For some reason, this has become political.  Many of us believe that the economic damage could greatly exceed the medical damage.  We have flattened the curve, we need to move on.  Suicide and death from other diseases that are not being treated could greatly exceed the virus deaths.  This is a bad situation.  I get really upset at people that are so dumb that they can't make their own opinions; that they have to get "their" opinions from others.

These are first world problems; I know.  We will get past it in time.  Me, I feel more sorry for all the people that have lost their jobs and entrepreneurs that will lose their businesses.  

Just my confederate sense and sensibility.

Marc

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Jackie, don't play dumb; you are smart enough to look at case and death statistics by state.  In fact, I can look at statistics for Washington state (and Texas and many others) by County.  

Marc

By the way, did your kids go to Monroe High School?  I went to Granada Hills High School.

Actually, I went to Poly - raised in North Hollywood but lived in Granada Hills as an adult (across the street from Frost Jr. High - I believe that is the name).

Yes -  I can look up statistics by state but, there were some questions that were asked but could not be answered (regarding testing, etc.) 

I suppose that I have Yankee sensibilities(?). I was actually born in Connecticut and moved to L.A. when I was 6.  Still, my parents likely raised me the way they were raised (which I promptly rejected as an adult).  I am a very independent person that has no tolerance for prejudice.  If you are a good person - I like you.  

How off topic can we be?  Sometimes these “intermissions” are welcome by some of us

You and I are passionate about Regent - we just have very different views!

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

We had a Canadian say that Americans (from the confederate states) are being irresponsible and a Pennsylvanian came to the defense of us southerners and then all hell broke loose.  Why should this board be any different from any other board? /sarcasm

Have a great day!

Marc

PS All of us have the same TA. 😀

Marc, I said nothing about the former confederate states (and wow, what a way to characterize part of the country!)  Oh, and neither did I say that the United States was being irresponsible.

Oh, and I agree with Jackie that this is not politics.  It's much more serious than that, and affects the whole planet.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Mariners, thank you for your post.  Nothing I wrote was in jest although the sarcasm was real.  For some reason, this has become political.  Many of us believe that the economic damage could greatly exceed the medical damage.  We have flattened the curve, we need to move on.  Suicide and death from other diseases that are not being treated could greatly exceed the virus deaths.  This is a bad situation.  I get really upset at people that are so dumb that they can't make their own opinions; that they have to get "their" opinions from others.

These are first world problems; I know.  We will get past it in time.  Me, I feel more sorry for all the people that have lost their jobs and entrepreneurs that will lose their businesses.  

Just my confederate sense and sensibility.

Marc

“Confederate Sense and Sensibility”? Like you still believe the Confederate States should have Jim Crow? Slavery? 

• Like 4

So now the word "confederate" is cause for polarization and shouting at each other? As a Canadian I would find this hilarious if it weren't so sad: Canada is a confederation. The United States was also a confederation from 1781 to 1789, when it was replaced by the current republic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrlevin said:

PA - 229, IL - 191, NJ - 186, MA - 174, NY - 115, CA - 90, CT - 84. Those are states with most deaths in last day.  None of them have "opened" their economies.  All of them are on the road to financial ruin and still have the highest raw number of deaths.  If you want statistics by deaths per population we will add RI and DC towards the top of the list.  

I am getting real tired of Americans and foreigners bad mouthing the former confederate states without looking at the facts.

By the way, I had a great meal of fish and chips today at Fish City Grill.  Occupancy limited to 25% with servers in masks and gloves and paper menus.  I know owner still probably losing money at least the dozen or so staff were earning a paycheck (and nice tip).

Marc

A New Yorker here....only wish that our deaths yesterday was 115, how about 166? and we've slaved to get it that low.....

Where did you get your figures from?

Just now, Mudhen said:

A New Yorker here....only wish that our deaths yesterday was 115, how about 166? and we've slaved to get it that low.....

Where did you get your figures from?

I have been using worldometer site.  They use GMT for date change so off a little.  They also supplement state information with county information for states like Texas where there is a one day lag.  I like using that site better than Johns Hopkins as easy to navigate and sort data in many ways.  They also provide links to source for their information so you can look for yourself.

Marc

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I have been using worldometer site.  They use GMT for date change so off a little.  They also supplement state information with county information for states like Texas where there is a one day lag.  I like using that site better than Johns Hopkins as easy to navigate and sort data in many ways.  They also provide links to source for their information so you can look for yourself.

Marc

Thank you....will check it out as your tally is considerably different from what we get on our state site.

This is why I've been refraining from posting on these 'Blind Speculation' threads...the fact is, no one has a CLUE how many people have had Covid-19, nor how many people have died from it.

The governments report on new cases and fatalities from the virus but does ANYONE actually believe these numbers?  I honestly believe we're under-reporting the number of cases and over-reporting the number of deaths.  But who knows, really?  Not a damn person on this board, I guarantee it.

We keep hearing about how deadly this disease is...yet no one talks about the deaths and other problems being caused by keeping the world shut down.  We can't even get straight answers on masks, how can we expect the truth on anything else?  I have read that domestic violence calls are way up, that suicides are way up, that anti-depressant med prescriptions are up by 85%.  And this in just 2 or 3 months.  

I agree with previous posters who advocated a return to normalcy - or as normal as we can make it - and soon.  I also tend to think the 'new normal' will be a lot like the 'old normal' within 6 months or a year, as we learn more about this virus and come to the realization that this isn't the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.  Yeah, it's worse than the 'normal' flu.  But everyone is making it seem like you'll be struck down dead if you so much as set foot outside.  THAT, my friends, is going to cause more long-lasting damage to the US and the world if we keep living in fear like this.

I've just read about a weeks worth of posts that contained about 90% or more:

1. Opinions

2. Conjecture

3. Parroted stats

4. Doomsday predictions

5. Contradictory statements

6. Nastiness

I know a lot of you will disagree with me.  Many of you will feel the need to flame me.  Have at it, no skin off my ass.  Oh, to get back to the good old days of actually talking about cruising...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Bill, welcome back - you were missed.

I agree with 99% of what you say.  However, since we know so little about this virus, I would be okay with going back to normal with the exception of either masks or distancing (and would be happy with both).  Now it is you that may disagree:classic_ninja: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Bill, welcome back - you were missed.

I agree with 99% of what you say.  However, since we know so little about this virus, I would be okay with going back to normal with the exception of either masks or distancing (and would be happy with both).  Now it is you that may disagree:classic_ninja: :classic_biggrin:

Thanks Jackie.  I got caught up in the PPP storm that affected most US banks last month.   😵  Finally getting caught up.

I'm fine with 'distancing' as that's my normal style.  I believe in giving and maintaining a good personal bubble.  I still believe masks and gloves are more of a knee-jerk "we gotta do something" reaction, but if people want to wear 'em, fine - wear 'em.  If people don't want to wear 'em, well, just give 'em some extra distance.

I stopped at a Chick-Fil-A for lunch last week and did the curbside delivery - the kid bringing out everyone's meals was wearing a mask and gloves.  The mask was pulled down below his nose and he was using the same gloves inside, outside, and on the door handles...which basically renders both measures worthless.  So why bother??  People are wearing bandannas - virtually zero effectiveness.  But they feel like they're doing something.

I just think that we need to have our lives returned to us - let us, as supposedly responsible adults, make the decisions on how to live our lives.  High-risk group?  Wear a mask (properly) and/or avoid people.  Wash your hands.  Practice good hygiene.  That's all we really need to do, IMO.  But I'm apparently in the minority here.  No worries.

I just hope things are 'normal' in time for us to visit Japan next year!  🎌

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Proper, thorough handwashing, don't forget that.  Probably the most effective thing you can do to protect yourself.  And not touching your face.  I'm with you Bill, masks are being misused everywhere.  I'm wearing them when I must, and they do prevent some droplets escaping my mouth, but as you say, often misused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Thanks Jackie.  I got caught up in the PPP storm that affected most US banks last month.   😵  Finally getting caught up.

I'm fine with 'distancing' as that's my normal style.  I believe in giving and maintaining a good personal bubble.  I still believe masks and gloves are more of a knee-jerk "we gotta do something" reaction, but if people want to wear 'em, fine - wear 'em.  If people don't want to wear 'em, well, just give 'em some extra distance.

I stopped at a Chick-Fil-A for lunch last week and did the curbside delivery - the kid bringing out everyone's meals was wearing a mask and gloves.  The mask was pulled down below his nose and he was using the same gloves inside, outside, and on the door handles...which basically renders both measures worthless.  So why bother??  People are wearing bandannas - virtually zero effectiveness.  But they feel like they're doing something.

I just think that we need to have our lives returned to us - let us, as supposedly responsible adults, make the decisions on how to live our lives.  High-risk group?  Wear a mask (properly) and/or avoid people.  Wash your hands.  Practice good hygiene.  That's all we really need to do, IMO.  But I'm apparently in the minority here.  No worries.

I just hope things are 'normal' in time for us to visit Japan next !  🎌

It is sad that the US doesn't have the availability of more masks.  I see masks guidelines as symbolic as well as real, as is wearing gloves.

The reality if everyone wore masks it would be better, there is little downside.  We could make your mask argument and turn it to speeding, running yellow lights or any law/guideline or just any other required good safe practice like in a hospital or construction site etc. etc..   

Many are turning masks into a sign of weakness, restricting of choice, restriction of freedom, very odd they don't make that prospective change from Freedom "from" to a prospective of Freedom "to"   where to is to have a healthy environment, opportunity, etc. etc.   "to" has cost to people and society.  To earn a good living, To have good health care, to have a good vacation / cruise etc.  has cost and sacrifice.

To wear a mask is to be responsible, to care about your fellow human, to show solidarity in this terrible time and to show you have unified hope that together we have a better  future!  I just finished a trip where I had to wear that mask for hours on the airplane, in a doctor's office and in the airport, and about getting food.  I saw all the things you did and as an engineer came to the same conclusion you did.  My mask was hot, uncomfortable, and inconvenient, I'm strong health and the last person to be a germaphobe as I travel a lot, but I wear my made for the reasons above in bold

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 17

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

To wear a mask is to be responsible, to care about your fellow human, to show solidarity in this terrible time and to show you have unified hope that together we have a better  future!  I just finished a trip where I had to wear that mask for hours on the airplane, in a doctor's office and in the airport, and about getting food.  I saw all the things you did and as an engineer came to the same conclusion you did.  My mask was hot, uncomfortable, and inconvenient, I'm strong health and the last person to be a germaphobe as I travel a lot, but I wear my made for the reasons above in bold

Good for you, do what you think is right! But please, dont suffocate me with your virtue signaling, it really doesnt shame me

• Like 3

Thanks barko4441.  

Seems like there are quite a few pieces out now regarding the resumption of cruising, and speculation as to what it will look like.  Here's a piece from a travel agent trade website.  Several cruise line CEOs are quoted.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Focus-on-Cruise-Sailing-into-the-wind

• Like 2