When Do You Think Cruising Will Be Safe

On 4/29/2020 at 6:30 AM, Sobro said:

Define safe, OP. 

I'm not afraid to cruise, fly, or go to a restaurant right now. Even before the virus these activities could result in illness, injury, or death. 

So IMO it's safe to cruise today.

Totally agree!

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 7:48 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I spoke to many people today about cruising.Age ranges 42 to 74,friends,relatives,neighbors.All normally cruise at least 5 times a year.All stated their cruising days are over.

No way....I can understand the viewpoint but can't imagine wanting to do that. 

On 5/6/2020 at 11:11 PM, frito58 said:

Well yea kind of does , But that's been there awhile since I survived Stage 4 colon Cancer in 04 and then in 16 lost my wife of 35 years to GBM Brain Cancer , So I still believe in that motto . But I also don't believe in walking off a curb into heavy traffic without looking . There is such a thing as common sense if I want to see tomorrow. 

Frito...so sorry to hear all this - especially the loss of your wife. Now it makes me feel bad for my post 😕

On 5/6/2020 at 10:56 PM, Welly9 said:

LOL and I shake my head at people who dont believe in science facts! Here are some spouted facts-

The WHO (and not the band if youre confused) estimate between 290,000 to 650,000 respiratory deaths globally each year are associated with seasonal influenza..Covid-19 259,796 deaths (inflated)

Now wait for it....7.7 Billion people on Earth. Think about it. 

OK.  I have no reason to disbelieve those facts.  However the Covid deaths are only so low because we have been self isolating and taking the approrporiate measures.  We need the R0 to remain low so to reduce deaths. Prior to the lockdown the R0 is believed to have been between 2 and 3.  The flu virus sits normally at 1.4.  Lets take the figures from Wales today.  Their current R0 is 0.8.  This means if it stays at that level 800 people will die in the country from the virus in the next 3 months.  If due to allowing people to group together again the figure goes to only 1.1 then the death figure would be 7600 in the next 3 months.  That for a population of only 3 million.  The population of the USA is roughly 100 times that.  Nearly 110 times that to be more factual.  It doesn't take much to extrapalate the potient deaths for those figures. 

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Frito...so sorry to hear all this - especially the loss of your wife. Now it makes me feel bad for my post 😕

Didn't mean to make you feel bad . You were right in what you said . It was on point . But is still believe in that motto I try to live each day  like its my last . I was even lucky enough to find love again and with a  widow we have started traveling again doing things my first wife never wanted to do. You never know where life will lead you. Hopefully one day all this crap clears up and we can travel again . 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 10:30 AM, Welly9 said:

Well there you have it, yes another LOL for sure...you went and shot yourself in the foot, quoting CNN...

Fauci knows what?? he hasnt seen a patient in 20 years, I listen and believe Dr.s in the front Line and what they say! 

im ok to disagree and you are as well...stay safe my friend! 

😥

I've been following your conspiracy theory logic and enough is enough. So, hospitals may be reporting some deaths they are not certain is COVID 19 and getting more funding. They are terribly underfunded for their efforts and rather than help, our federal government actually hinders them and withholds needed support. Money has to be sent to suffering corporations like Apple and our president's son's private school.There are large amounts of people who had the virus in December and January and some died. Antibody tests have found it goes back further than first thought. My brother, his wife, and his son-in-law all contracted it in December. These numbers are not in the record.

This is a virus like no other I have been aware of. It manifests itself in so many different ways. It masks its spread by not exhibiting symptoms. Other than Norovirus, indications have been that it is easier to contract than other flu viruses.

Your arrogance, as a pundit, that you know the credible news sources. I'm no fan of CNN, but Rupert Murdoch has systematically destroyed America. Did the mainstream media create a fear. Yes, and it's a good thing they did. Our government would have ignored it for much longer.

A suggestion. Take your rhetoric to an American hospital dealing with this virus. Look at the doctors and nurses and other health professionals in the eye who risk their lives and the lives of their families. Pay a visit to the families of those health workers who have died and share your facts and figures. Tell them all the fear is being inflated. Tell them. It will be a comfort.

Or just sit in front of your credible news sources and share your disdain with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 11:47 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Possibly ,but I will be in the Guinness book of records for the oldest living human.

LOL....I'm with you.

Star Trek TNG:  Picard: "After all, number 1, we're only mortal".....Riker:  "Speak for yourself, sir, I plan to live forever.."   

I'm hanging in there for January, since we have what may well be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity on the new Viking ship sailing out of Rome. IF it goes as scheduled (and is not rescheduled, of course), I have a hard time imagining not being there. As I said in an earlier post..."throw off the bowlines"!  I'd like to know what the chances are of dying either by accident, heart disease, or cancer compared to the corona virus. This one life is all we have here on earth. Entirely possible that there may never be a vaccine for CV. Can't see giving up all my travel dreams for fear of this. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm hanging in there for January, since we have what may well be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity on the new Viking ship sailing out of Rome. IF it goes as scheduled (and is not rescheduled, of course), I have a hard time imagining not being there. As I said in an earlier post..."throw off the bowlines"!  I'd like to know what the chances are of dying either by accident, heart disease, or cancer compared to the corona virus. This one life is all we have here on earth. Entirely possible that there may never be a vaccine for CV. Can't see giving up all my travel dreams for fear of this. 

That should be an individual decision for every person .I cannot truly answer this query for myself because I have disabilities that are preventing me from cruising .

If I were healthy I would weigh cruising and every other option in my life .

On 5/8/2020 at 6:56 PM, John Reid said:

I've been following your conspiracy theory logic and enough is enough. So, hospitals may be reporting some deaths they are not certain is COVID 19 and getting more funding. They are terribly underfunded for their efforts and rather than help, our federal government actually hinders them and withholds needed support. Money has to be sent to suffering corporations like Apple and our president's son's private school.There are large amounts of people who had the virus in December and January and some died. Antibody tests have found it goes back further than first thought. My brother, his wife, and his son-in-law all contracted it in December. These numbers are not in the record.

This is a virus like no other I have been aware of. It manifests itself in so many different ways. It masks its spread by not exhibiting symptoms. Other than Norovirus, indications have been that it is easier to contract than other flu viruses.

Your arrogance, as a pundit, that you know the credible news sources. I'm no fan of CNN, but Rupert Murdoch has systematically destroyed America. Did the mainstream media create a fear. Yes, and it's a good thing they did. Our government would have ignored it for much longer.

A suggestion. Take your rhetoric to an American hospital dealing with this virus. Look at the doctors and nurses and other health professionals in the eye who risk their lives and the lives of their families. Pay a visit to the families of those health workers who have died and share your facts and figures. Tell them all the fear is being inflated. Tell them. It will be a comfort.

Or just sit in front of your credible news sources and share your disdain with them.

LOL, and there you have it, a Political Pundit jumps in and Pipes up! HBE4 and I were having a nice educational and informative banter, sharing whatever we had for knowledge .. again healthy banter until someones feelings got hurt! Keep your Lefty spin to yourself! 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, ECCruise said:

Thank you.  Isn't it just amazing that people literally just make stuff up (like the post you responded to) and spout it like it was based on fact.

Not sure where that kind of thing came from....

What is the difference between the posts though? They are both probably quoting numbers that are almost 100% likely to be proven false. We universally know that a large percentage of infections are mild or asymptomatic. Until we can test every person, every single attempt at putting a percentage of people dying from this illness, high or low, is a complete stab in the dark. There is no way it will come close to 5.9% regardless, at least in its current form.

• Like 1