If don't make final payment, automatic refund?

SAmome

Final payment due for Sept cruise soon but I'd rather cancel.  Just wondering if need to actually call and cancel or if it's sort of automatic.  How long are deposit refunds taking?  Thanks.

Your September cruise isn’t cancelled yet most likely. If you want to cancel do it before 120 days so you are entitled to a refund. NCL won’t cancel until a bit closer and inside final payment if need be. If you want to take the risk, you’ll have to make final payment and wait for them to cancel.  Deposit refunds and timelines have been discussed in the other 200 threads asking that same question . 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

your booking should be covered by the peace of mind that NCL is offering..you can still make final payment. if you do want to sail with 48 hours of sail date or so, you will get your money back

11 minutes ago, shof515 said:

your booking should be covered by the peace of mind that NCL is offering..you can still make final payment. if you do want to sail with 48 hours of sail date or so, you will get your money back

One thing ... if you CANCEL the cruise yourself you do NOT get your money back; you get a FCC instead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

At this point, I'd cancel the cruise prior to final payment, at which point, you should receive a cash refund.  

^^^^^ this .... since you, @SAmome, have decided you do not want to cruise in Sept. You'd receive the cash refund on the deposit (or the CN back into your NCL account) sooner than later.

If you pay in full you'd be out of pocket much longer when time comes for either NCL or you to cancel the cruise.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 3

I don't think the OP is really asking whether they should make final payment or not.  It sounds like they do not want to go, and were just wondering if it would take an actual phone call to NCL to initiate the cancellation outside of final payment.  To the best of my knowledge, the answer to that is: Yes, you must call.  If you do not make final payment, but also do not call to cancel/request a refund of your deposit, from what I understand, you will forfeit the deposit (it is not automatically refunded back). However, I've never actually had this happen to me, so I can't guarantee that's the policy.  Hope this helps, OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I would certainly call. Once the final payment date passes, according to the their cancellation policy, you forfeit the deposit. With their new policies you may get it back as FCC, I'm not sure. But, no, I wouldn't expect a cash refund of your deposit simply because you failed to make future payments on your cruise. 

Call and cancel so you don't lose your deposit.

I made the mistake one time of thinking if I don't make final payment, they will just refund. WRONG! I lost my deposit. That was an expensive lesson.

• Like 2

I called and cancelled our Mediterranean trip for Sept. prior to final payment even though we were technically covered by Peace of Mind . We received a full refund within 3 weeks . Our airline had cancelled our flight as well  Made me sad but had to do it. First time ever . We have since booked a March trip to French Polynesia . Hope that works out .

6 hours ago, SAmome said:

Final payment due for Sept cruise soon but I'd rather cancel.  Just wondering if need to actually call and cancel or if it's sort of automatic.  How long are deposit refunds taking?  Thanks.

We are in a similar situation. Our final payment is due next month for our September cruise .. but we booked with a UK travel agent. Paid the NCL deposit and return flights to Athens... £800 .

If we cancel our cruise and flights we will not get any refunds .. so will lose £800.. we can wait and see if our airline cancels (maybe Greece will restrict arrivals) … we can pay the balance and maybe NCL will cancel the cruise. USA has different rules on cancellation .  we have no protection.

Can't use insurance cover because if we cancel then the decision is ours not NCL or our airline.