An update on the crew of Journey getting home

excitedofharpenden

Not sure what the last was. The Filipino crew members had repatriated to Spectrum of the Seas, headed to Manila and they'd arrived. The rest of the international crew aside from those needed 49 needed to take Journey to Singapore were repatriated to Ovation of the Seas and that too was headed to Singapore. 

Ovation was refused in Singapore and is now headed to Manila, but the Philippines has just announced its closing its airport for at least 7 days so when they get there  the uncertainty continues. Journey is currently moored off Brunei according to Marine Traffic. I would guess Singapore is out for them at the moment. 

I do feel for the crew. I'm sure it's very nice onboard, but know some are missing the comfort food as well as family and home turf.  Fingers crossed for them all. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 6

I have just seen a wonderful video of Journey catering. Staff eat in their own rooms having collected their meals from the main dining room. It must be such a lonely existence for them. 
But it was lovely to see Iwan was taking as much care with the presentation of crew food as he does with a meal in the speciality restaurants for guests. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I was just thinking of all the crew members still on board . . . thinking the ships will need Psychologists on board before long.

I came in to my computer and have tears in my eyes as I read this

http://crew-center.com/crew-member-goes-overboard-jewel-seas

😪 🙏 😪

Trish, this sadly happens occasionally and not just during the Covid-19 crisis. Ship life can be lonely at times. One thing I do know. The Azamara crew seem to have a great support team within their ranks. 

Phil 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Trish, this sadly happens occasionally and not just during the Covid-19 crisis. Ship life can be lonely at times. One thing I do know. The Azamara crew seem to have a great support team within their ranks. 

Phil 

Sadly it is true Phil

Yes, there is a great support team within Azamara's ranks, but many of Azamara's crew are no longer on their own ships.

Trish

On 5/3/2020 at 4:56 PM, Baynanno1 said:

I was just thinking of all the crew members still on board . . . thinking the ships will need Psychologists on board before long.

I came in to my computer and have tears in my eyes as I read this

http://crew-center.com/crew-member-goes-overboard-jewel-seas

😪 🙏 😪

This is so sad, and the uncertainty is becoming torturous for these crews.

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Sadly it is true Phil

Yes, there is a great support team within Azamara's ranks, but many of Azamara's crew are no longer on their own ships.

Trish

Thank goodness they have each other and the crew are such a great bunch. 

Phil 

• Like 3

Surreal.  Crew members caught up in a "The Man Without a Country" scenario, not through their own volition like the 1863 story, but because they chose to work on a ship at sea.  I feel so badly for them, so near - and yet so painfully far from home.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 4:15 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Thank goodness they have each other and the crew are such a great bunch. 

Phil 

Yes they are.  We have remained friends (via FB) with a few and they are always in our thoughts

and prayers.

• Like 1

When I look at posts on Facebook it makes me both sad for and proud of those crew who when they get home and are able to take on other fill in jobs to tide them over until the (hopefully soon) return to sailing.  Selling food and other needed goods to take care of their families.  Good on them!

Phil

• Like 10

That hard working attitude and willingness to give it there all from the front line workers onboard was what made Azamara great.  I hope they are rewarded for their efforts now and can be a lesson to be followed. 

• Like 5