The Anthem going from Florida to India to repatriate crew

There are still people stuck on ships off coast off Florida.  I do not get it.  Mostly Africans.    At least on RCC.   And I heard they are charging the crew for food.   These people probably have no money to being with, work on cruises for their livelihood and then forced to give all their money to the major cruise lines who will likely get handouts from governments

Edited by jmsnyc

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

There are still places where there are no flights in/out of a country - hard to get folks home in such a situation.

Still, I think the cruise lines should be feeding the staff that are stuck on the ship without charging them

11 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

There are still people stuck on ships off coast off Florida.  I do not get it.  Mostly Africans.    At least on RCC.   And I heard they are charging the crew for food.   These people probably have no money to being with, work on cruises for their livelihood and then forced to give all their money to the major cruise lines who will likely get handouts from governments

I doubt very much they are charging for food except maybe to those who have technically finished their contracts whilst still  stuck onboard . For those who are still under contract they are still working so will get free board as per usual. In some ways it keeps a routine for them  and a feeling of normality without the added pressure of guests .There are plenty of videos and posts on social media showing what the crew are upto and if you are friends with any you get to have more insight , as an example a husband and wife team onboard , he is busy at work in his uniform while she lazes about in bed 😆, love that one . 

Just now, jmsnyc said:

Still, I think the cruise lines should be feeding the staff that are stuck on the ship without charging them

From all reporting that is not happening - the only thing they charge for are for items in the crew store, just as before the pandemic. Even the internet should be free on board and to distance staff, they are using guest cabins. See this:

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have not read anywhere that rcl is charging their crew still onboard for food ??

Neither have I, if they , RCI ,  are paying for crew to go from ship to the door of their homes during this pandemic doubt they are charging for food but other cruise lines may differ .

I can’t post the link but crew center page on social media has positive feedback from crew of their treatment . 
There are also crew who still cannot get home at all and are still at sea , 80 days now !

Edited by heatherb1958

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

From all reporting that is not happening - the only thing they charge for are for items in the crew store, just as before the pandemic. Even the internet should be free on board and to distance staff, they are using guest cabins. See this:

He's cute!    On his YouTube channel, he's got some other interesting vids about what its like being on the ship right now ... pretty cool stuff.

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Regarding crew paying for food. I seem to remember that I watched a video where crew said there was a charge for specialty dinning. No charge for regular crew food areas. 

The ones who are allowed to dine there do receive a discount , can’t remember how much it was. If they are also allowed to eat in the buffet there is a small fee but if invited by a guest can eat for free , strange but true as we have done it but it has to be one crew member per guest so one guest cannot invite the whole team 😆 😆
We also ate in the dining room with them , not too sure the set up there as we did not organise it. 
Crew mess is free .
Just to clarify my friend’s daughter works onboard RCI ships and we were dining with her and her friends onboard.

Edited by heatherb1958

On 5/3/2020 at 4:31 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Shame this wasnt done back in march when we all knew the timeline from other countries was going to be months before things could reopen. 

I guess rcl just kept holding out hope their ships would sail soon.

If that was the case they were just delusional like some here on CC. However I don't think they were and I think it had more to due with all of the travel bans.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 6/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, heatherb1958 said:

Neither have I, if they , RCI ,  are paying for crew to go from ship to the door of their homes during this pandemic doubt they are charging for food but other cruise lines may differ .

I can’t post the link but crew center page on social media has positive feedback from crew of their treatment . 
There are also crew who still cannot get home at all and are still at sea , 80 days now !

RC is not paying crew from the ship to their homes if their contract has ended.  In such case, no pay.  Really awful.  Still tens of thousands of crew stuck.  Not a good look for RC.

Quote from Miami Herald article below at first appears to contradict itself  but believe it means while non-working crew do not receive salary the do get a $13/day daily stipend:

"Non-working crew members on Royal Caribbean Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, MSC Cruises and certain Carnival Corp. subsidiaries including Princess Cruises ships are not being paid. Royal Caribbean is providing $13 a day to non-working crew, who say they must pay for onboard toiletries."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243180861.html

From the article below "“We are studying the CDC’s latest update. We will continue to work with CDC and other authorities toward our shared goal of getting our crew safely home,” said Royal Caribbean Cruises spokesperson Jonathon Fishman. He said the company has repatriated 24,567 crew members, while 19,098 await repatriation."

Miami Herald article about CDC regs for repatriating crew home

4 hours ago, JCDCA said:

RC is not paying crew from the ship to their homes if their contract has ended.  In such case, no pay.  Really awful.  Still tens of thousands of crew stuck.  Not a good look for RC.

How can you say Not a good look for RC?    This is the same with all the other cruise lines.     International Travel shutdown months ago and even to date some of these countries do Not want their own citizens entering their borders.    

RCL is going above and beyond if you ask me to coordinate all these ships and gathering crew from various countries to "drive" them home.    This is a Very expensive Uber ride.    Plus the chartered flights they are arranging is another major expense.      

Some of the crew maybe unhappy but some of them are probably better on the ship than what conditions may be at their homelands.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JCDCA said:

In my previous post when I said ‘ pay ‘ I did not mean remuneration, maybe I should have been a little clearer in that RCI are picking up the cost of charter flights for getting the crew home , paying for the hotel accommodations so they can be quarantined at the arrival airport , paying for the food while they are in said hotel, paying for any medical tests then once all clear paying for the buses to get them to their home towns door to door . 
CrewCenternews has articles with photos showing this .

Edited by heatherb1958

• 4 weeks later...