Carnival upgraded to a BUY from HOLD

BlerkOne

by HSBC bank.

HSBC Holdings plc is a British multinational investment bank and financial services holding company. It was the 7th largest bank in the world by 2018, and the largest in Europe, with total assets of US$2.558 trillion.

Yes I mentioned this in another post. One analyst among many many upgraded it to a buy based on carnival saying bookings increased 600% when they said they would resume cruising august 1st.

Let's hope it actually happens. I'm curious how carnival will handle the closed ports if they sail. A letter at boarding?  Or notice beforehand with obc offer like rcl does? 

Dont book excursions with outside vendors is my recommendation until things are set in stone. Cayman says not open in august, but who will be open?

Fox Business News mentioned the upgrade to a buy. Well at least they dont think they will go bankrupt. That's a big plus. My only caveat is this isnt the first date carnival has said they will resume. Crossing fingers. Prices sure jumped to book.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm not at all familiar with stock terms. Am I understanding it correctly that some analysts are advising people to buy CCL stock?

One investment bank, yes. Typical ratings are Buy, Hold, Sell. They don't project near term prices to sky rocket - maybe only go up a couple of bucks, but it is better than dropping. HSBC is an investor in Carnival.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm not at all familiar with stock terms. Am I understanding it correctly that some analysts are advising people to buy CCL stock?

Yes one from the UK, with a price target of 15.90, which is still far from what I paid.

Putting a target of 15.90 on a stock that was bouncing down today every time it hit 14.00 isnt too exciting. If he said he thinks 20.00 in a year might have helped more. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

This is one of many, many analysts. Go to Fidelity.com and do some research most analysts are calling it a hold. The future bookings are up because Carnival is giving away the kitchen sink. Anyone who seriously thinks CCL is in good financial shape should do some serious research, not on CC

• Thanks 1

I hate to rain on the parade, but the financial industry is full salesmen in tassel toed loafers putting lipstick on swine to sell it to a retail investor. There are always far more "buy" signals than "sell." Institutions pay no mind to these ratings. They get the data on the company through their financial records and spend copious amount of time comparing the record with the industry facts and features to make a decision. They will probably find about 10 to 20% worthy of investment, and then keep a sharp eye on those they buy. 

Don't buy any stock until you do your homework, and never rely on a sales pitch to part you with your hard earned money.

Rain storm over. 

Edited by Moviela
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

This is one of many, many analysts. Go to Fidelity.com and do some research most analysts are calling it a hold. The future bookings are up because Carnival is giving away the kitchen sink. Anyone who seriously thinks CCL is in good financial shape should do some serious research, not on CC

I'm not getting in to the market, just trying to learn something new. So the converse question, a "hold" means that the analyst is advising you to hold the stock if you have it or if you don't have it to hold off in purchasing it?

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Future bookings are up not including people rebooking cancelled cruises. Carnival is certainly in better shape J. Crew, Gold's Gym, and a number of others. Airlines have already blown their bailouts and are threatening massive layoffs without more money.

Without a dividend, CCL is certainly less attractive, but isn't close to bankruptcy. Creditors certainly don't want a fleet of cruise ships in lieu of cash. They will let Carnival push out payments.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm not getting in to the market, just trying to learn something new. So the converse question, a "hold" means that the analyst is advising you to hold the stock if you have it or if you don't have it to hold off in purchasing it?

Yes. A Hold is a Do Nothing.

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I hate to rain on the parade, but the financial industry is full salesmen in tassel toed loafers putting lipstick on swine to sell it to a retail investor. There are always far more "buy" signals than "sell." Institutions pay no mind to these ratings. They get the data on the company through their financial records and spend copious amount of time comparing the record with the industry facts and features to make a decision. They will probably find about 10 to 20% worthy of investment, and then keep a sharp eye on those they buy. 

Don't buy any stock until you do your homework, and never rely on a sales pitch to part you with your hard earned money.

Rain storm over. 

this comment cracks me up.  I am in the financial industry that you are apparently referring to...  and while there are the occasional "tassel toed loafers", the majority of our broker / dealers are amazing individuals who have the CLIENT in mind when they are making suggestions.

I don't personally know if any have been suggesting CCL stock so I can't speak of that but I do know that your general assessment of the amazing folks that I deal with on a daily basis is, quite frankly, hysterical because it is SO VERY WRONG!  LOL!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I mentioned this in another post. One analyst among many many upgraded it to a buy based on carnival saying bookings increased 600% when they said they would resume cruising august 1st.

Let's hope it actually happens. I'm curious how carnival will handle the closed ports if they sail. A letter at boarding?  Or notice beforehand with obc offer like rcl does? 

Dont book excursions with outside vendors is my recommendation until things are set in stone. Cayman says not open in august, but who will be open?

Fox Business News mentioned the upgrade to a buy. Well at least they dont think they will go bankrupt. That's a big plus. My only caveat is this isnt the first date carnival has said they will resume. Crossing fingers. Prices sure jumped to book.

Resuming is somewhat dependant on loosing of restrictions of gatherings

• Like 1

Just now, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Which in turn is dependent on the virus itself.

(Which, interestingly, pays zero attention to Arison, Donald, Duffy, Trump or anyone else.)

While the virus sets the schedule, idiots who pay no attention to the experts can erase all progress in a Darwin second.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

While the virus sets the schedule, idiots who pay no attention to the experts can erase all progress in a Darwin second.

I believe it is Darwinian, but I got a C+ in grammar.  There are many factors, the issue is which experts you (or the collective we) listen to.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I believe it is Darwinian, but I got a C+ in grammar.  There are many factors, the issue is which experts you (or the collective we) listen to.

Probably so, but I think my version might be reaching out to the lowest common denominator.

3 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Which in turn is dependent on the virus itself.

(Which, interestingly, pays zero attention to Arison, Donald, Duffy, Trump or anyone else.)

Thank you for admitting that the virus is in charge, and that includes the timing of refunds, n'est ce pas?

• Like 1