Please think twice about doing a chargeback

oceanlovinmama

14 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Don't understand what there is to feel uncomfortable about; there was no ad shopping involved as the OBC was clearly stated on the Travel Agency website and just so happens they (Agency XYZ) does more volume than the cruiselines themselves.  Celebrity was not induced to provide any additional incentive to book I merely inquired and it was honoured.  

There is a private travel agency (XYZ) that does more volume that the actual cruise lines??????? What is your source?

13 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Agree.....but I would think ALL the lines should have those reserves...unfortunately more seem to be running an Enron type accounting system....

Then you might suggest that X needs to have a similar payment deadline as Viking?

Two (2) different clientele, overall, one group will and can do this and the other will choose not to.

There will be quite a few of us who would feel comfortable with it, yet I believe the vast majority will not and therefore not book or wait for sometime after final payment to book.

bon voyage

16 hours ago, clojacks said:

I guess I wasn't thinking along the terms of the cancellation (of $100 per person that is often "penalized" in the form of an FCC) fee, as I didn't even think they were the only ones charging it. Are you sure about that?

Of course I can't speak to every agency out there, but from comments of others here on CC, whenever someone mentions being charged "fees" by their agency, it is certainly not common practice.

28 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, a TA has 'a fiduciary' responsibility to both the consumer and the cruise line, more often than not.

The TA as the intermediary, is responsible for insuring that the consumers payments are remitted timely and in full to the cruise line and the cruise line in turn is responsible for insuring that payments are correctly and promptly applied to the customers account.

Thus the reason when one does not see their credit card statement showing the cruise line as the payee, then there may be an issue on which you want to call the cruise line to insure that they have in fact received payment.

For those who pay by check or cash to the TA, this is triply important to ask for and receive a statement of account from the cruise line to insure that payment has been made and timely and credited to ones account.

bon voyage

Bo- I just love the term fiduciary responsibility  A legal obligation of one party to act in the best interest of another.  I hear that from financial advisors, insurance agents, estate lawyers, and all who claim to be responsible for my interests.  But in all honestly only I can act in my own best interests.  I have a fiduciary responsibility to myself!😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Bo- I just love the term fiduciary responsibility  A legal obligation of one party to act in the best interest of another.  I hear that from financial advisors, insurance agents, estate lawyers, and all who claim to be responsible for my interests.  But in all honestly only I can act in my own best interests.  I have a fiduciary responsibility to myself!😀

t -  you are quite correct, yet there are quite a few who need the security of 'legal' in case they, the consumer, does not follow through on what our real responsibility is.

Court remedy.... LOL

bon voyage

47 minutes ago, sippican said:

There is a private travel agency (XYZ) that does more volume that the actual cruise lines??????? What is your source?

LOL. No I never said private. Under the terms of this board we cannot post the names of travel agencies hence XYZ and my source of information was Celebrity themselves but that's a good one. 

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

t -  you are quite correct, yet there are quite a few who need the security of 'legal' in case they, the consumer, does not follow through on what our real responsibility is.

Court remedy.... LOL

bon voyage

yeah I know.......I need "legal" too sometimes.  LOL.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:25 PM, Pinboy said:

If they " really " need their money back that fast, why are they spending it on cruising ?

A number of people have lost their jobs, been laid off or had their hours greatly reduced.   They may need the money to pay for their mortgage, their food, their rent, etc .     

As well as running out of money, some cruisers are surely also worried that they might never get their money or their cruise back, realising that cruise companies and TAs are in a difficult situation. 

I am thankful I am not someone who has lost their job, saved for years to pay thousands for a cancelled cruise, or someone working at a cruise company or working for a TA.   

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

LOL. No I never said private. Under the terms of this board we cannot post the names of travel agencies hence XYZ and my source of information was Celebrity themselves but that's a good one. 

I used the term private agancy to denote any agency that is not owned by thr cruiseline.  I am well aware of the terms of this board, and to be clear, I did not ask you the name of the XYZ  agency. I am just extremely skeptical that any travel supplier sells more cruises than the company does itself - even if it was reported by an X representative. (We all know to take whatever they say with a grain of salt.) Sure would be interesting to have some verification.

Edited by sippican

41 minutes ago, sippican said:

I used the term private agancy to denote any agency that is not owned by thr cruiseline.  I am well aware of the terms of this board, and to be clear, I did not ask you the name of the XYZ  agency. I am just extremely skeptical that any travel supplier sells more cruises than the company does itself - even if it was reported by an X representative. (We all know to take whatever they say with a grain of salt.) Sure would be interesting to have some verification.

I know they are the world's largest travel agency as far as volume is concerned. I dont have proof but just reiterating what I have been told by a couple of CVPs at Celebrity. I no longer book cruises with this agency as they charge in USD and our exchange rates are not very favourable at the moment but when I did book back in early 2000 their service has always been courteous, professional and excellent. Never once had issues and I have booked many cruises with them.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Then you might suggest that X needs to have a similar payment deadline as Viking?

Two (2) different clientele, overall, one group will and can do this and the other will choose not to.

There will be quite a few of us who would feel comfortable with it, yet I believe the vast majority will not and therefore not book or wait for sometime after final payment to book.

bon voyage

Actually, I would suggest that ALL cruise lines actually operate their business with funds for current voyages  rather than spend today from revenue received for a voyage, 3 months, 6 months, a year down the road.  If they operated within those parameters then ALL the people waiting for refunds would have their money, as they would have cash from all those future bookings available to pay them....as it is NOW they have to wait till enough people actually book and pay for more "future" cruises before those waiting for refunds get their $$.    REALLY not good business practice as the lines are learning now, at the expense of their loyal and now, not so loyal, customers!!!!