Cruise ship banned from aust until Sept. 17th 2020

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I wonder what they will do with people that already have bookings in inside cabins.

We have an inside cabin booked for PNG cruise ex-Brisbane Oct 2021.  I am elite so I am hoping they upgrade us if this cruise goes ahead.

41 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I think it all depend on how Australia goes through the winter months and whether we have a spike in COVID cases (or deaths).

It is an interesting point.

Clearly if there is an increase in cases it will surely reduce the likelihood of easing of travel restrictions, including cruiseships.

If the cases fall ie we have it 'controlled' , then it presents possible options:

1. be cautious and not do anything too drastic in regards to lifting international travel restrictions

2. open up the borders, including ports, with the associated risks

Right now, if it was my call, I'm really not sure which way I would go. Leaving aside all the media hype over Ruby, I don't think that public health officials, and public servants in general, will be inclined to make 'risky' decisions with no personal benefits to them, and I don't think for the pollies they see many votes in the 'petri' dishes (not my description).

18 hours ago, Tikibird said:

We have an inside cabin booked for PNG cruise ex-Brisbane Oct 2021.  I am elite so I am hoping they upgrade us if this cruise goes ahead.

We also have an inside cabin booked for February. That cruise will make us elite, but I'm not sure if there will be any cruises as early as Feb.

19 hours ago, Tikibird said:

I wouldn't count on upgrade just because you are Elite.  I have been for more than 3 years, have cruised around 3 times a year and am still to receive an upgrade offer.

6 minutes ago, pacificlover said:

I wouldn't count on upgrade just because you are Elite.  I have been for more than 3 years, have cruised around 3 times a year and am still to receive an upgrade offer.

More likely to get an upgrade as a newby.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:37 PM, pacificlover said:

I am hoping it may happen if the ship is not full and they have to choose someone to upgrade they may go for elites.  It happened in 2011 Acapulco-Fort Lauderdale and we weren't elite then.  We booked inside and got a balcony! 

But the cruise was like 2/3 full because at the time there were drug cartel related crimes around Acapulco and Americans didn't want to go there.  Then the ship got hi with Norovirus and heaps of people came down with it but not us.  They did put crew at the buffet to serve instead of self-service and I still remember the girls with hand sanitizer at the entrance.

I’m so reluctant to hit the ‘cancel’ button on my cruise but I really don’t think we’ll be going. Even if Celebrity don’t cancel, hubby and I have decided that without a cure/treatment or vaccine we won’t be going because it’s too risky. 

But I can’t bring myself to cancel it. 

What do you think our chances are? Be brutally honest - you might help me along haha.

January 3, South Pacific with Celebrity Solstice.

I will be in tears the day I hit that button. This is our dream cruise.

Oh - and so I don’t indulge too much in a pity party, we have decided that if we can’t take the cruise we will drive up to the Great Barrier Reef for a week.

And if that doesn’t work, next July we’ll fly to the NT for a week then over to Cairns.

But I’ll still cry 😉 

4 minutes ago, CupcakeSusie said:

I’m so reluctant to hit the ‘cancel’ button on my cruise but I really don’t think we’ll be going. Even if Celebrity don’t cancel, hubby and I have decided that without a cure/treatment or vaccine we won’t be going because it’s too risky. 

But I can’t bring myself to cancel it. 

What do you think our chances are? Be brutally honest - you might help me along haha.

January 3, South Pacific with Celebrity Solstice.

I will be in tears the day I hit that button. This is our dream cruise.

Personally, at this point,  I think it is currently 80/20, that is 80 to be cancelled, 20 to go. Wait until October /November and it may well be the other way around or at least you will know for sure.

Yes we are going to wait until October to make a final decision (it’s when final payment is due). I’m such a planner though, this does not work well with my need to feel like things are being planned nice and neatly 😄 

1 hour ago, CupcakeSusie said:

Yes we are going to wait until October to make a final decision (it’s when final payment is due). I’m such a planner though, this does not work well with my need to feel like things are being planned nice and neatly 😄 

I know how you feel.