Edge Sunset Veranda on deck 12

blueskadoo

Actually aft cabins on the edge really nice.  You get a real balcony, instead of a window.  We have been on aft sky suites on other ships and my only complaints are, soot often on balcony, too sunny in the morning so breakfast not comfortable.  Some people don't like the walk to the elevator, but if you don't mind the walk fine. The S class ships have dangerous poles near the bed which can be a hazard at night.  Good to bring reflective stickers if you get up during the night to use the bathroom.  Not sure if the same on the Edge aft cabins or suites.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Actually aft cabins on the edge really nice.  You get a real balcony, instead of a window.  We have been on aft sky suites on other ships and my only complaints are, soot often on balcony, too sunny in the morning so breakfast not comfortable.  Some people don't like the walk to the elevator, but if you don't mind the walk fine. The S class ships have dangerous poles near the bed which can be a hazard at night.  Good to bring reflective stickers if you get up during the night to use the bathroom.  Not sure if the same on the Edge aft cabins or suites.

The corner aft S1 cabins have a pole but the S2 cabins don’t have a pole.

33 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The corner aft S1 cabins have a pole but the S2 cabins don’t have a pole.

Correct. We actually prefer the s2 except on M class. 6145 is our s1 best cabin on summit or the opposite side of the ship 6146. Next to penthouse.  Hope it wasn’t changed during reno. Bathroom unbelievable 

22 hours ago, gerig said:

Not really second guessing the decision just don't agree with celebrity's point system.  Sunset verandah's are costlier than regular balcony cabins and in alot of cases more expense than a concierge class.  I think that this cabin should be 5 points per night.

First time in an Edge SV cabin next cruise and noticed the difference in pricing re Concierge (love aft S class concierge cabins, and S1/2).  No Concierge perks in SV, lower points, higher cost. Doesn't compute.  Paid it anyway to sail aft with a real balcony.  Concierge on Edge is starboard and port sides.

Edited by Oceangoer2

9 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

First time in an Edge SV cabin next cruise and noticed the difference in pricing re Concierge (love aft S class concierge cabins, and S1/2).  No Concierge perks in SV, lower points, higher cost. Doesn't compute.  Paid it anyway to sail aft with a real balcony.  Concierge on Edge is starboard and port sides.

That's exactly my point.  If they are are costly as concierge class or aqua class the points given per night should be the same.  I love the aft and am happy with my choice.

42 minutes ago, gerig said:

That's exactly my point.  If they are are costly as concierge class or aqua class the points given per night should be the same.  I love the aft and am happy with my choice.

The SV is a much better cabin IMHO.  Celebrity learned very quickly that many cruisers preferred the SV over Concierge, Aqua and Regular IV Balcony cabins mostly due to the true balcony in a SV. As a result they raised prices on them early on. There are a very limited number of SV cabins. The pricing is based on supply and demand. Celebrity bases their Captains Club points based on category, not the price you pay. Depending on when you book, the pricing on every cruise will vary a great deal. I know there are some cruises where a Regular  balcony costs more than a Concierge based on timing of the booking. Your logic would indicate that person should get the 5 points vs. the 3.

Unless X changes their whole point system to one more like the airlines are now using basing miles more on fare class/cost of your ticket instead of actual miles flown. Until they change that we will need to choose the cabin category that suits our preference. Chasing points is not the best way to choose your cabin. 

Ultimately, the point system is up to X and since it’s their ship, they make the rules, fair or not. 

Enjoy the SV and your cruise. Every day you get to sit out on your open balcony, say to yourself, this is worth much more than 2 lousy CC points. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

The SV is a much better cabin IMHO.  Celebrity learned very quickly that many cruisers preferred the SV over Concierge, Aqua and Regular IV Balcony cabins mostly due to the true balcony in a SV. As a result they raised prices on them early on. There are a very limited number of SV cabins. The pricing is based on supply and demand. Celebrity bases their Captains Club points based on category, not the price you pay. Depending on when you book, the pricing on every cruise will vary a great deal. I know there are some cruises where a Regular  balcony costs more than a Concierge based on timing of the booking. Your logic would indicate that person should get the 5 points vs. the 3.

Unless X changes their whole point system to one more like the airlines are now using basing miles more on fare class/cost of your ticket instead of actual miles flown. Until they change that we will need to choose the cabin category that suits our preference. Chasing points is not the best way to choose your cabin. 

Ultimately, the point system is up to X and since it’s their ship, they make the rules, fair or not. 

Enjoy the SV and your cruise. Every day you get to sit out on your open balcony, say to yourself, this is worth much more than 2 lousy CC points. 

I agree if I were going for points I would have booked either an aqua class or concierge class but I wanted the aft balcony.

I am fully aware of supply and demand and as I said I booked this cruise more than 2 years out so there were plenty of sunset balconies available.  I remember years ago when all balcony cabins were the same price and then the cruiselines realized that some balcony cabins were in higher demand and therefore they could charge more for those so they started putting cabins into categories based on ship location and obstructed  and non obstructed views.  Then they created the concierge and aqua class giving them some little perks and a dining room along with more points per night.  

I am really looking for to this panama canal cruise in that fantastic sunset balcony.

On 11/2/2020 at 12:19 PM, gerig said:

Not really second guessing the decision just don't agree with celebrity's point system.  Sunset verandah's are costlier than regular balcony cabins and in alot of cases more expense than a concierge class.  I think that this cabin should be 5 points per night.

Gurig, you're really tilting at windmills. It's their sandbox therefore their rules.  When you booked, was the SV more or less expensive than CC or AQ?  Just because they lowered the price of the other cabins to try to fill them due to having more capacity that doesn't mean they'll change the points rule. You knew the points for the cabin before you booked.

I too prefer the aft view and wouldn't switch either regardless of club points.  Sounds like you're trying to get to Elite.

16 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Gurig, you're really tilting at windmills. It's their sandbox therefore their rules.  When you booked, was the SV more or less expensive than CC or AQ?  Just because they lowered the price of the other cabins to try to fill them due to having more capacity that doesn't mean they'll change the points rule. You knew the points for the cabin before you booked.

I too prefer the aft view and wouldn't switch either regardless of club points.  Sounds like you're trying to get to Elite.

Definitely not so.  I am already elite and haven't cruise celebrity in about 5 years.  I mainly cruise royal caribbean where I am diamond plus along with princess status elite.  

I knew the rules and yes made the decision to book the sunset balcony because it is what I wanted.  I was just trying to rationalize the thought process of points but evidently there really doesn't appear to one.

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Pricing varies, sometimes daily.  When we booked our SV on the Edge the  SV price was $730  less than a C3 and and $980 less than a AQ2.   

Good for you.  I doubt the price of the sunset balcony will go down because they are almost sold out

The though process is very simple.  It's based upon cabin category not price paid per cabin. An SV is a veranda cat.  You know the rest of the hierarchy.  Pricing is always unpredictable

The difference between Elite and the plus perks is minimal.  So what's the big deal about points?  They don't transfer to RCL.

6 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

The though process is very simple.  It's based upon cabin category not price paid per cabin. An SV is a veranda cat.  You know the rest of the hierarchy.  Pricing is always unpredictable

The difference between Elite and the plus perks is minimal.  So what's the big deal about points?  They don't transfer to RCL.

I was just trying to understand the process used to develop the point system.  We know the poiint system was developed based on the class of cabin booked which normally went with the cheapest cabin receiving less points and as the category went up (as so did the price) more points were given.  

This just didn't compute with me and it appears that sunset balconies are not always more expensive than concierge class but it happened to be in my case.  No issues here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerig said:

Good for you.  I doubt the price of the sunset balcony will go down because they are almost sold out

They're very much in demand and usually sell out quickly.  Our cruise is a year away and the SV's sold out months ago. 

Edited by Oceangoer2

On 5/22/2020 at 7:41 AM, blueskadoo said:

Hello All- First time Celebrity cruisers going in February and booked on Edge. We were able to snag the last open Sunset Veranda yesterday but now I'm worried about its location. We are on Deck 12 in the smack dab middle of the boat. Looking at the deck plans, it looks like there's a restaurant above us? Is this an awful and noisy cabin? I can't find anything for this room exactly (12266) and I haven't found a whole bunch about the neighboring ones either. I appreciate your input.

There's not one bad SV on Celebrity's ships!  The best locations and the best view by far! Nothing like sitting on your large balcony looking at the wake with a nice drink in your hand, or coffee and croissants in the morning!

Donna

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, GeorgesGal said:

There's not one bad SV on Celebrity's ships!  The best locations and the best view by far! Nothing like sitting on your large balcony looking at the wake with a nice drink in your hand, or coffee and croissants in the morning!

Donna

On 11/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

I can hardly wait

On 5/22/2020 at 7:41 AM, blueskadoo said:

Hello All- First time Celebrity cruisers going in February and booked on Edge. We were able to snag the last open Sunset Veranda yesterday but now I'm worried about its location. We are on Deck 12 in the smack dab middle of the boat. Looking at the deck plans, it looks like there's a restaurant above us? Is this an awful and noisy cabin? I can't find anything for this room exactly (12266) and I haven't found a whole bunch about the neighboring ones either. I appreciate your input.

So much better to have a sunset veranda on the edge.  You will have a real balcony.  On other ships, we have been in sky suites on deck 12- and really no issue with noise- soot and too much sun was a problem on the S class ships.  Not sure if either problem impacts the edge.