Flights by Celebrity: What are the Advantages & Disadvantages?

Vagabond Knight

I've used Choice Air several times for return flights to the U.S. from Europe and I have had no problems except for this week. After a May TA, we plan to spend a few days visiting extended families in Italy, then fly home from Venice.  The Choice Air website lists $577.48 as economy fare for several flight options. The Choice Air agent, working from home, yesterday quoted us $2,500 p.p. for the flights. I think we need to get on the same page.

Edited by cirpi
syntax

2 hours ago, Anubi said:

Is there any problems with Celebrity Air if you want to fly in a few days earlier.  I don't mind if we have to pay a deviation fee.   

Yes, we have flown in early several times using Celebrity Air. There is no extra cost, but the flight prices do fluctuate by day. Your might get a cheaper fare by flying early. Celebrity Air is very flexible: you can fly in early, leave several days after your ship docks or fly into a city that is not the embarkation point.

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Yes, we have flown in early several times using Celebrity Air. There is no extra cost, but the flight prices do fluctuate by day. Your might get a cheaper fare by flying early. Celebrity Air is very flexible: you can fly in early, leave several days after your ship docks or fly into a city that is not the embarkation point.

5 hours ago, TFree said:

We have only used them twice so far, and in both cases we flew in a couple days early.  I don't remember there being a deviation fee, but if there was it must have been fairly minimal since I don't recall it being an issue as to the price.

Tom & Judy

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Thanks for the information.  We are cruising out of Amsterdam but want to precruise in Berlin so we'll need a few days for that.  

On 7/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, cirpi said:

I've used Choice Air several times for return flights to the U.S. from Europe and I have had no problems except for this week. After a May TA, we plan to spend a few days visiting extended families in Italy, then fly home from Venice.  The Choice Air website lists $577.48 as economy fare for several flight options. The Choice Air agent, working from home, yesterday quoted us $2,500 p.p. for the flights. I think we need to get on the same page.

Update: The agent checked further and found the fare still stands, but economy plus is at least $1,500 on most carriers and don't even think of business class unless you have around five grand to spare. Also, be aware that fares are changing -- mostly up -- almost by the hour. 

It is much easier to call than to use the web site, which is not always correct, as fares change very often. I love being able to book airfare and not pay until cruise final pay date, especially now. I check back regularly to see if the price has gone done. One of the agents told me to check every few days. Voila! I have gotten price reductions a couple of times. And you will never be charged an increase in price. I use this for domestic flights, as we are too old to put up with long flights to far destinations. Yesterday I got a price of $760 RT per person first class from OKC to FLL for next May.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Cruiseoholic000 said:

How does this work if your cruise is over a year a way and you have no idea what flights are going to be.   Can you opt in later?

Yes you can, I did it last year, cruise was cancelled but I was still able to do it after I had already booked

6 hours ago, Cruiseoholic000 said:

How does this work if your cruise is over a year a way and you have no idea what flights are going to be.   Can you opt in later?

You can book them at any time, once flights become available.   Up until final payment, you can change flights without fees, too. 

52 minutes ago, D C said:

You can book them at any time, once flights become available.   Up until final payment, you can change flights without fees, too. 

If Celebrity still has the 'cancel (cruise?) up to 48 hrs prior to cruise', does that allow your air paid at final payment through Celebrity to be refunded as well?

Personally, I have never experienced an issue with Celebrity Air; however, it is always good to continue checking on lower fares, just in case they are posted.  No air supplier is free from issues that can impact flights, but not having to pay until 90 days out is wonderful, IMHO.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Read the details of Cruise with Confidence.  My TA confirmed that the airfare is covered in full by Cruise with Confidence for the events and duration as specified even if some of the website implies otherwise.  Purchased travel insurance provided from any supplier has it's own details that have to be studied.

I just booked our flights from FLL to New York.  The first class deals were great, 8 months in advance.

Pricing was pretty comparable on "flights by Celebrity" vs booking our own, but there were more airline options and desired flight times booking on my own.  I ended up using Chase points because that had the best value, and booked via the Chase website.