Favorite Amsterdam and Rome Hotels?

Do you have a favorite hotel in Amsterdam or Rome? With our last cruise half completed (the 2020 world), our next cruise cancelled by us (first portions of 2021 world) because of port and virus concerns, we are trying to keep our Seabourn bubble of happiness by looking ahead to a cruise in the fall of 2021. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated!

13 minutes ago, sunshineocean13 said:

Do you have a favorite hotel in Amsterdam or Rome? With our last cruise half completed (the 2020 world), our next cruise cancelled by us (first portions of 2021 world) because of port and virus concerns, we are trying to keep our Seabourn bubble of happiness by looking ahead to a cruise in the fall of 2021. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated!

Mr. SLSD and I loved the Ambassade Hotel in Amsterdam.  It is centrally located, on a canal, has a great restaurant and a wonderful library bar.  If you are even a bit mobility challenged, make sure you request a lower level room.  There is an elevator, but some rooms require some stairs after that.  Just let them know that you don't want stairs.  We have recommended this hotel to both friends and family and everyone loved it.  My very picky sister in law didn't like the canal view as there is a bit of noise on weekends.  I sort of enjoyed that.  We could walk to the Riksmuseum in the city and also to the Van Gogh museum from the hotel. We especially loved their Library Bar and their restaurant--great food for breakfast and other meals.   We would stay there again in a heartbeat.  The rooms are quite nice.  https://ambassade-hotel.nl

In Rome, we stayed at the Hassler which is close to the top of the Spanish Steps.  It is a lovely hotel, great bar, courtyard and restaurant.  Great breakfast.  Centrally located and we could walk to many places from the hotel.  We would also stay there again on a return trip to Rome. Wonderful breakfasts and lovely bar and other venues. We stayed in a junior suite--their most modest room and it was very very nice.  https://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/hotel

Edited by SLSD

We have stayed twice at the Villa Spalletti Trivelli in Rome and had a splendid time.  It's a small hotel across the street from the Quirinale Palace and minutes away from the Trevi Fountain.  There are not many rooms but they have an elevator, a perfectly wonderful garden with covered seating and a great breakfast.  In the afternoon there is an open, serve yourself bar.

In Amsterdam, I love the Pulitzer, the Amanda’s, and the Intercontinental.

While in Amsterdam, book dinner at De Kas... amazing prix fixe restaurant in the middle of a botanical garden with very inventive farm to table cuisine. Amsterdam has good restaurants but this one is always on our “must dine” list.

Rome:  Visconti Palace--within walking distance of the Vatican and a number of small restaurants.  On the Via Veneto, Grand Hotel Palace provided a pleasant stay in a good location.  I believe the hotel has changed ownership/management since I stayed, but one might want to consider it.  

Amsterdam:  my only hotel experience was the Movenpick and my traveling companion was pleased with its location (next door to the Cruise Terminal), our room and huge bathroom, and service.  

23 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

Rome

Albergo Del Senato

Great location.  Everything within walking distance.

Excellent "step back in time" elegant rooms, delicious food and discreet service.  

Roof terrace is a bonus for evening drinks under the stars.

It will not disappoint.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/amsrd-renaissance-amsterdam-hotel/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Renaissance Hotel, convenienty situated in a pretty quiet area tucked away close to Canal. Wonderful breakfast and fantastic Concierge . This comfortable Hotel has a Boutique feel which we prefer and we make it our home whenever we travel to Amsterdam.  Restaurants abound in easy walking distance .

Rome, our favourite city, reading this post has made me realise how much I miss going to Rome, we were last there in January and hope to visit again in November. We have been many times and know all the hotels mentioned so far. We find in Rome everything is down to budget. If you want ultra deluxe the 3 we find stunning, but there are more, are the Hassler, De Russie and the up to now the not mentioned Eden, which has the most gorgeous rooftop bar and restaurant. Of course these have a price tag to match.

The Albergo Sonato and Artemide are also lovely but much smaller and far more casual, what we call lovely service orientated 4 star properties and are less than half the price of the deluxe options.

Rome visitors tend to have a favourite part that they stay in, for us we love the Piazza Navona and Piazza del Popolo area, 2 more quality privately owned and small personal 5 star hotels offering excellent service but not deluxe worth looking at are The Raphael, which is just off Piazza Navona and also the stylishly charming Hotel Locarno which is at Piazza del Popolo.

If I can offer any further advice about wine bars, hotels, restaurants or transfers please just ask, if it is your first time I am sure you will adore Rome and want to return.

Based on several years of traveling to Rome on business, I highly recommend the Hotel Flora on the Via Veneto.  Its at the end of the Veneto, adjacent to the Borghese Gardens.  They have a spectacular rooftop deck, where breakfast is served in the morning, the perfect way to begin the day in Rome.  The Flora has retained its "Italian" sense of style and service, with many of the team there over several decades.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/romdt-rome-marriott-grand-hotel-flora/

On 5/31/2020 at 4:55 PM, toseaornottosea said:

We love the Hotel de Russie.  It's between Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps.  A great location.  Great service, wonderful courtyard restaurant and bar, great rooms.  

My vote also goes to the Hotel de Russie

We always stay at the Hassler. Love the location, service and views over Rome. We also love the courtyard bar for a lovely Tuscan red after a “passeggiata”.

As for Amsterdam, I can recommend Hotel de l’Europe and the Pulitzer (they have a great duplex suite) - and if you’re on a budget, Hotel Estherea, a boutique offering with great service and a fantastic breakfast in a wonderful location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rome: Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria. On one of the hills just outside the center city, a quick taxi ride to anything. La Pergola is a 3-star Michelin. If you go and can afford it, stay in the area of the hotel with the private lounge.

Amsterdam: Really a long time since I was there, but we enjoyed the Hilton, adjacent to a park. It has a nice top floor lounge. Can't say how it is now.

Rome is my favourite city, along with Venice and possibly Seville.  Rome poses a problem since it lacks any really great hotels.  It is also a problem of location.  I think Rome divides into those people who want to see the Vatican and its treasures, and maybe do some shopping, and those who want to see the major classical sites such as the Forum and the Colosseum.  Personally, I really only want to see the Ancient Roman sites and I also like the restaurants and trattoria of the Trastevere area.  I have stayed a few times at the Hassler but it's the wrong location for me.  On my last trip I had a suite with a balcony at Hotel Forty-Seven which had a fab location (5 mins walk from the Forum) but had minor issues as a hotel.   The hotel with the best view, bar none, is Palazzo Manfredi but getting a room there can be tricky.  

I tend to avoid the US chains and that big Hilton up on the hill has never appealed. 

My photo is from the restaurant at the Palazzo Manfredi - see what I mean about the view?

DSC_0145.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I have stayed a few times at the Hassler but it's the wrong location for me.  On my last trip I had a suite with a balcony at Hotel Forty-Seven which had a fab location (5 mins walk from the Forum) but had minor issues as a hotel. 

What were the minor issues at the Hotel Forty-Seven? Thanks for all of the great information!

And thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. We're enjoying looking up all of the suggested hotels and thinking about our trip!

8 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

What were the minor issues at the Hotel Forty-Seven? Thanks for all of the great information!

Looking back, I think I'd return to the Forty-Seven.  We were there in January (a great time to visit, also Venice) and the hotel was very quiet, so the staff were very attentive.  They arranged a car and driver who took us off to see the remoter Roman sights - Commodus's villa, the circus on the Via Appia and the incredible park with the aqueducts. 

It's really a B&B. Our main issue was our rooftop suite - which had a balcony overlooking two small temples.  But the bathroom lacked a tub (needed after our long walks), there was minimal storage space and the sitting room which was badly designed in every respect: no desk for a computer, only floor level electric sockets, no BBC or Sky News, uncomfortable sofa in the wrong position and two hard chairs with armrests modelled on razor blades. I could go on.  It just wasn’t a room to work or relax in.  

Maybe another room would be better . . . 

• Like 1

In Amsterdam --if you like B&B's check out Kamer 01. Great location on one of the canals and can easily walk almost everywhere. Only has a few rooms; we like the suite on the ground floor. It is run by two gentlemen who are a real 'hoot' and they provide a great breakfast every morning

• Like 1