New topic,,,Regent Air Program

Hi all!

well, COVID19 clobbered what would have been our first Regent cruise. Now I’m looking for a new one to try, and I am curious about how Regent ha does air. Can I choose my preferred airline? How far in advance can I get our preferred flights confirmed? Is there a fee for doing so? Thanks so much for your feedback.

By paying a $175pp deviation fee, you can have a say in the airlines that you fly on. I noted "have a say" because your preferred airline may not have a contract with Regent and therefore not available on the route you want to take or the gateway you fly out of.  

You can deviate 270 days before your cruise.  You can contact your TA and provide them with 2 or 3 options and they will contact Regent Air and see what they can do. You do not pay the fee until you accept the deviated flights.  You can also ask your TA to release your booking to Regent Air and deal with them directly. This is what i do as i prefer to talk over my options directly with Regent Air rather than stick my TA in the middle of the process.

Once you have agreed to an itinerary Regent air agent will send you the itinerary and you then have a few days to accept or reject it. If you accept it, Regent Air will send the info to your TA and you and the TA will then process the fee.  If you decide to reject it you can always go back to Regent Air and see what else you can work out. If you decide to take your chances with what Regent gives you there is no payment of the deviation fee. 

If you want to change your flight dates so you arrive earlier or leave later then you have to deviate unless you are participating in a Regent pre or post cruise package (including the 1 night pre cruise package for Concierge or above) then they would automatically give you flights that coincide with the dates for early arrival or later departure. 

Agree with 1982CruzStart.  However, we prefer going through our TA rather than dealing with Regent directly.  I suppose it depends upon how much business a TA does with Regent but ours works well with Regent's Air Department and always comes up with good to great flights.  We do book 270 days prior to our cruise and use this website to figure out the date https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html  You only need to put in the date of your cruise and subtract 270 days.

It is possible that Regent can tell you that a flight is full and you go onto the airline website and learn that it isn't.  This is because Regent contracts with a limited number of seats on each flight.  Once they are sold out, Regent will look at other airlines.  Also, Regent contracts are not for all flights on a contracted airline.  For instance, if you are flying to Australia, they are contracted with Qantas.  However, if Qantas also flies to Singapore, it is unlikely that that route is contracted.  Hope that this makes sense.

Keep in mind that if the airline that you select has a stop in the U.S., the flight within the U.S. will likely be Coach (unless you are fortunate enough for the flight to have openings in Domestic First Class that they can put you in).

Our favorite contracted airlines with Regent are Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa (when they do not stop in Frankfurt), British Airways, Air Canada and Qantas.

I'm curious.... we are going to pay for deviation because we are flying in a week before sailing.  Would that mean that perhaps I've got a better chance of the flights I want not being sold out?  The dates don't seem to conflict with any other sailing from this port...

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

I'm curious.... we are going to pay for deviation because we are flying in a week before sailing.  Would that mean that perhaps I've got a better chance of the flights I want not being sold out?  The dates don't seem to conflict with any other sailing from this port...

You can still only deviate 270 days prior to embarkation but those of us that deviate do have a much better chance of the flights that we want not being sold out.  

17 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

I'm curious.... we are going to pay for deviation because we are flying in a week before sailing.  Would that mean that perhaps I'v e got a better chance of the flights I want not being sold out?  The dates don't seem to conflict with any other sailing from this port...

Yes, that might help but, never know until you ask.  What also might help is if you are flexible about your dates.

41 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Yes, that might help but, never know until you ask.  What also might help is if you are flexible about your dates.

Ooo.... very good point.  Certainly we can be flexible,  particularly 240 days out. 

You know, I really can't describe my relief at not having to book my own air.  That is my very least favorite part of travel.  Just knowing it will be business for the long hop over the Atlantic takes the sting out of less-than-stellar connections to the port once over the pond.

4 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Ooo.... very good point.  Certainly we can be flexible,  particularly 240 days out.

Thanks but, it is 270 days out when you can contact Regent Air to Deviate.  And remember, you won't have Regent transfers when you deviate.  A small price to pay for being able to hopefully book the flights and airline you choose.

Thanks for the correction.  It is a very small price to pay... and we absolutely don't need the transfer on the front end.  It's our 5 or 6th trip to Venice, I think I could find the port in my sleep.  On the way home, Regent has an outstanding 5 day post-cruise in Istanbul we are signed up for, and homeward transfer will be covered through that.

• Like 1

While we are frequent Regent cruisers, we just used Regent air for the first time (due to all the uncertainties). We had no trouble at all getting our preferred routing (LAX-HKG nonstop on Cathay Pacific) at 270 days. It was very straightforward and all settled in one day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Depends on your type of  deviation.  If you arrive on the same date as departure yes, but, for instance in the case of Kate-AHF who is arriving about a week early no.

We always go in day ahead.. we have gone 2 or 3 days ahead but never a week. 

3 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

We always go in day ahead.. we have gone 2 or 3 days ahead but never a week. 

Yes, a day ahead should work as well as Concierge and above would be arriving that day with their "free" nite  It's just when nobody else is arriving or departing with an included transfer when the transfer would be included.  Like I said, just depends.

Actually, it depends upon ore than that.  You need to be staying at the Regent designated hotel to get the transfers (or be able to get there ..... not sure how that one works).  We do not care for Regent transfers to the ship and use a taxi if it is reasonably close.  We use the credit that we receive from Regent to do our own hotel to pay for the hotel of our choice and our taxi.  

• 6 months later...

We are looking forward to our first cruise with Regent (after having two booked end up cancelled) with a Med on Voyager R/T from Athens in September 2021.  We reached the 270-day mark prior to embarkation (true embarkation--we are on a three-night pre-cruise tour with Regent but that does not count in the 270 calculation) on Thursday and I contacted Regent about flight options.  We had several preferred options, but learned they would not book us on a flight leaving prior to 1300 hours from Athens on the day of our disembarkation.  This eliminates almost all the flights out with reasonable connections and arrival times in the U.S.  The only one with just one stop, will not put us into our arrival airport at 2315 hours, which will make for a very long day once you factor in picking up bags, retrieving the car, and making the 50-mile drive from the airport to home.

Question:  Is this rule due to Regent's ground transfer connections?  The ship is scheduled to dock at 0500 hours in Piraeus and Google estimates the drive time to the airport in Athens (ATH) to be between 34-46 minutes.  So disallowing a flight connection prior to 1300 seems excessive.  Has anyone been able to book an earlier flight through Regent Air if you agree to forego their transfer?

Another oddity on the initial itinerary provided.  They booked us on American into Athens and Air Canada out.  The latter is one of the few departing after 1300 hours.  But AA and AC belong to different airline alliances and it seems odd to mix them.  Planning to ask for the AC outbound as well as inbound and hope they have contracted routes with the airline for both directions.  (It's a simple MCO-ATH R/T, not a multi-city itinerary.)

21 minutes ago, loriva said:

Question:  Is this rule due to Regent's ground transfer connections?  The ship is scheduled to dock at 0500 hours in Piraeus and Google estimates the drive time to the airport in Athens (ATH) to be between 34-46 minutes.  So disallowing a flight connection prior to 1300 seems excessive.  Has anyone been able to book an earlier flight through Regent Air if you agree to forego their transfer?

A lot of reasons for the not booking flights before 1 PM.

Docking at 0500 does not mean you will immediately be let off the ship immediately.  There are a lot of activities that have to occur before you can get off and get to your transportation.  People who do the unloading, customs and immigration people have to be there, etc.   Arrival at the port does not necessarily relate to when you can get off the ship.  One time we were docked at approx 6 AM and our color to disembark came about 10:30.

When taking Regent transportation, they wait until the bus is mostly filled which could delay you.

Most foreign airports want you there 3 hours before flight departure or in your case 10 AM

Your estimated time may vary depending on the day of the week and traffic.

Believe the 1 PM time is for all arrivals in port and not just your early 5 AM arrival 

Not fun with stress getting home with worry about making flight.

As I said many reasons and while one size does not fit all those are their rules.  For these reasons many times people plan on staying the extra nite and flying home the next day just like we recommend arriving at least the day before departure so you are able to do both deviations for the price of 1  $175 pp both ways.

19 minutes ago, loriva said:

Another oddity on the initial itinerary provided.  They booked us on American into Athens and Air Canada out.  The latter is one of the few departing after 1300 hours.  But AA and AC belong to different airline alliances and it seems odd to mix them.  Planning to ask for the AC outbound as well as inbound and hope they have contracted routes with the airline for both directions.  (It's a simple MCO-ATH R/T, not a multi-city itinerary.)

Alliances really don't matter for European round trips, Regent generally looks for the lowest cost.  Did you deviate as I mentioned in my other response.  That is the best and likely the only way to request a specific airline and flight time.  Well worth the extra cost to not miss the ship on the departure and have a relaxed return home.

Did a quick look and appears Air Canada only connects thru Montreal or Toronto which makes for a long day and another trip, at least on the return thru immigration and perhaps customs.  Almost sure it is a multi itinerary as AC doesn't appear to fliy non-stop MCO to Athens

Best for you to check fights ITA,matrix.com is wonderful for that to find flights and when you deviate you can specify specific flights and airlines and keep trying at no charge until both you and Regent agree.  Deviation is your best option and since Regent usually is booking on price, you don't need to fly thru Canada which can be an issue.  Good luck

By the way used to live in Rockledge, Melbourne and Coca Beach so know the area well.  Wish we could go back as loved that area.   Glad to help with more directly.  Click the contact Dave button to email me directly

Edited by rallydave
  • Thanks 1

Hi Loriva,

I just happened to come across your post as I was scrolling through CC. We are also booked on a September cruise on Regent after having two Regent cruises canceled in 2020. With all that is going on with Covid, I didn't even think about the 270 day mark for booking flights. I really want  to be positive about our cruise going ( London to Barcelona) but the longer this nasty virus is around the more doubtful I am becoming that September 2021 will be a go. Our balance is due in May and I sure hope that by then we will have a much clearer picture of how things will go in September....thoughts?

Pat

1 hour ago, snorkle lover said:

Hi Loriva,

I just happened to come across your post as I was scrolling through CC. We are also booked on a September cruise on Regent after having two Regent cruises canceled in 2020. With all that is going on with Covid, I didn't even think about the 270 day mark for booking flights. I really want  to be positive about our cruise going ( London to Barcelona) but the longer this nasty virus is around the more doubtful I am becoming that September 2021 will be a go. Our balance is due in May and I sure hope that by then we will have a much clearer picture of how things will go in September....thoughts?

Pat

Hi Pat.  I'm probably an unreformed optimist, but I'm pretty confident our sailing in September will go.  Our ship, Voyager, is sailing only European itineraries prior to our cruise and does not touch the United States until February 2022--three months after the CDC's Conditional Sail Order is due to expire.  So, it may not be covered by the limitations of that order.  I'm also cognizant that the Europeans figured out how to do some sailing in 2020,  Most of all, of course, I'm hopeful most of us in the United States and Europe will have received vaccinations by mid-2021, a couple of months prior to our sailing.  I'd also hope the cruise lines would work to obtain doses for their officers and crews who do not have access in their home countries.  (And hope we can figure out how to make enough vaccine for all of the world.)

All that said, you should also know multiple airlines and multiple cruise lines owe me a lot of money for cancelled travel in 2020.  So perhaps you should take caution from the "unreformed" bit!

In years past I have read many posts about getting off the ship early for morning flights. 

I suspect this new requirement for flights to depart after 1300 has to do with the pandemic. Maybe Regent are expecting extra health related activities that might delay disembarkation. 

10 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

In years past I have read many posts about getting off the ship early for morning flights. 

I suspect this new requirement for flights to depart after 1300 has to do with the pandemic. Maybe Regent are expecting extra health related activities that might delay disembarkation. 

This or similar requirements have been in existence for a long time and are for departures on the day of arrival.  What you suspect is for arrival the day before the cruise actually ends when the ship has been cleared the day before.

There has to be some time limit for leaving the ship to catch  departing flights and it depends on the location of the port and airport, how the port handles arriving ships, etc.  Otherwise many people would miss their departing flights.  

This is only for flights booked by Regent Air.  If you book your own flights you can depart anytime after the ship is cleared and Regent allows you to disembark which at some ports can be many hours after the scheduled arrival time of the ship.

There are horror stories in some ports where for instance nobody can leave the ship until all of the luggage has been taken off and other stories about immigration officials being late to clear passengers thru, etc.  Nothing new and Regent has to consider all issues when they set the earliest flight they will book for your return home.

Talk to the GM....Regent cannot refuse you if you want to leave the ship, only the port officials can do this. You are not a prisoner. I routinely book private cars for clients with early morning departures to reach the airport in time for better flights. 

Also, when you speak to the air desk, tell them exactly what you want. It will save you both time over waiting for them to try and fill the flights that cost them the least.

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Talk to the GM....Regent cannot refuse you if you want to leave the ship, only the port officials can do this. You are not a prisoner.

Agree Regent cannot refuse you unless the ship has not been cleared by the port authorities who as you said.   That said whether you luggage will be available in the arrival area is another question.

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Also, when you speak to the air desk, tell them exactly what you want. It will save you both time over waiting for them to try and fill the flights that cost them the least.

The person asking the question did have a flight in mind and asked about it and the Air Desk would allow a 15 minute deviation but, nothing further.

And  of course any company is going to try and use the lowest cost air and the OP did that and was told about the 1 PM rule.  A rule has been in effect for Regent booked air for quite awhile regarding how early they will book flights for your return home and that is where the problem is.   And as I delineated, there certainly are reasons for not booking the air until a certain time.