CruiseNext certificate on cancelled cruise?

Kimbahh

Does anyone know if they are refunding a Cruise next certificate used on a cancelled cruise into Future cruise credits?  Also if we applied 2 x $250 certificates are they reimbursing those at the 125%= $625 instead of $500?

When my March cruise was cancelled, we got the cruise fare credited as FCC to our next cruise - which was also just canceled....the cruise next certificate was not credited to our next cruise. It showed back up on our myncl account page, but it took a few weeks. It was the original $250 - no 125 % applied to that.

When we had 2 cruises cancelled the CNs that were used to pay the deposit were returned to my MyNCL account. One had expiry date of 2021 but I was able to apply it to one new 2022 cruise with an one-time extension. 

We had used 2 CNCs for our September 2020 Med cruise on the Getaway.  We cancelled a couple of weeks before the final payment was due and the CNCs were b-ball in our MyNCL account within a few days.

We were booked on the June 6th sailing on the Pearl.... we are waiting for our refund (90 days to process) and just received notice that our CruiseNext certificates will expire 6/18/2021 that we previously used on our cancelled cruise. I called Norwegian today and asked if the expiration date could be extended and was told no. I was told to use them an book a cruise.... currently there are no sailings.... The current cruise destinations  listed for 2021 really don’t interest us. They are unwilling to extend the expiration date, so it seems we will lose our monies. So much for Norwegian showing a little bit of goodwill.... somehow that doesn’t make us feel valued as a customer. 

3 hours ago, Mr.N said:

We were booked on the June 6th sailing on the Pearl.... we are waiting for our refund (90 days to process) and just received notice that our CruiseNext certificates will expire 6/18/2021 that we previously used on our cancelled cruise. I called Norwegian today and asked if the expiration date could be extended and was told no. I was told to use them an book a cruise.... currently there are no sailings.... The current cruise destinations  listed for 2021 really don’t interest us. They are unwilling to extend the expiration date, so it seems we will lose our monies. So much for Norwegian showing a little bit of goodwill.... somehow that doesn’t make us feel valued as a customer. 

We had a CN returned when NCL cancelled our June 2020 cruise. It was expiring in 2021 but NCL was able to apply it to the new 2022 cruise that we booked, as an one-time extension.

Have you looked at the 2022 cruises? If you see one that you fancy you can ask NCL nicely if they would give you a one-time extension to apply your CN to that cruise.

4 hours ago, Mr.N said:

Did you already have the CN deposits extended ?    Is that the original expiration date?       If it is then call again.     

The CN deposits are the original expiration dates and have not been extended. So far, we haven’t seen anything on the 2022 cruises that have us excited to book either. Perhaps it’s COVID-19 fatigue (my wife is in healthcare), cruise line fatigue (everything associated with this cruise..... conflicting information from NCL about the cruise not being cancelled, then being cancelled, the refund policy.... 90 day wait for refund to be applied, and now the NC expiration.) 

I guess I’ll contact NCL about the CN after we get the payment credit applied back on our credit card for the cruise. Just feeling like Don Quixote of La Mancha with yet another windmill to fight. 
Thanks for your advice. - Bill 

7 hours ago, Mr.N said:

The CN deposits are the original expiration dates and have not been extended. So far, we haven’t seen anything on the 2022 cruises that have us excited to book either. Perhaps it’s COVID-19 fatigue (my wife is in healthcare), cruise line fatigue (everything associated with this cruise..... conflicting information from NCL about the cruise not being cancelled, then being cancelled, the refund policy.... 90 day wait for refund to be applied, and now the NC expiration.) 

I guess I’ll contact NCL about the CN after we get the payment credit applied back on our credit card for the cruise. Just feeling like Don Quixote of La Mancha with yet another windmill to fight. 
Thanks for your advice. - Bill 

Sell them.    There are secondary markets on Eb.  And FB.       No one in your family/friend can use them?   

But if they are the original expiration date-  call again. And request the extension.     

Thanks, NCL agent Vanessa called us because she saw that we were looking at cruises online; I asked her about an extension and she said we needed to book a cruise by June 2021, but it could be for a cruise in 2022, no extension. That has given us concerns, because currently, there isn’t a cruise destination that interests us. 
We thought that since we’ve already have cruised with NCL five times previously that they would simply honor an extension request as a goodwill gesture. That was not the case. Things that make you go hmmmmm..... 

40 minutes ago, Mr.N said:

Thanks, NCL agent Vanessa called us because she saw that we were looking at cruises online; I asked her about an extension and she said we needed to book a cruise by June 2021, but it could be for a cruise in 2022, no extension. That has given us concerns, because currently, there isn’t a cruise destination that interests us. 
We thought that since we’ve already have cruised with NCL five times previously that they would simply honor an extension request as a goodwill gesture. That was not the case. Things that make you go hmmmmm..... 

With the global itineraries that NCL has,  none,  "interest" you?   

Maybe, you decided cruising isn't for you anymore.    In that case-  look to sell your Cruise Next.  There is a market.   

We have already traveled to the Mediterranean, been to Europe before, been all over the Caribbean, sailed to Alaska and Mexico. We really wanted to do the New England and Canada cruise, but with me being a teacher there isn’t one offered when I’m off from school. 
In a perfect world a Nile cruise and seeing the Pyramids is on our bucket list, just not in this political climate. 

2 hours ago, Mr.N said:

We have already traveled to the Mediterranean, been to Europe before, been all over the Caribbean, sailed to Alaska and Mexico. We really wanted to do the New England and Canada cruise, but with me being a teacher there isn’t one offered when I’m off from school. 
In a perfect world a Nile cruise and seeing the Pyramids is on our bucket list, just not in this political climate. 

Then,  get rid of the Cruise Next deposits.  🙂     Everyone is different-  and certainly different styles of travelers-  I cruise Alaska and the Med every year,  as example.    

I hope you are able to sell or perhaps trade your deposits.   I don't stockpile, large numbers of them usually and just purchase and use quickly.  

Thanks Budget Queen for all the input. For me, it was more about the principal.... Cruise was cancelled.... due to COVID-19 no cruises are sailing. It just would have been a nice goodwill gesture for NCL to just extend the expiration date. 
We’ll figure something out....  for this summer we already have.... just picked up a little roadster so we can go on some short day trips.... 

We had Jewel cruises cancelled (Jan/Feb 2021) and my PCC was able to use the CN certificates on Jade cruises Nov 2022 with no hassle.   They were returned to MyNCL as CN with no value change.   I have already had the "profit" from them and wouldn't expect any more.

NCL cancelled our (long awaited with many family members 😍) Jade cruise, May 16-30, 2020. We requested a refund, still waiting. Today, I chatted with NCL about 1) when to expect refund, 2) will interest be added to amount as NCL has had the money for nearly 1 year, and 3) when does the Cruise Next money expire? Answers: 1) 90 days for money, 2) no interest 😗, 3) Cruise Next money will  expire 4/2022, four years from purchase. I then asked if Cruise Next money could be given to someone else and was told yes, I just needed the names and Latitude numbers. As we have Oceania and HAL reservations booked for 2021 & 2022, I am happy that I can give, donate, or sell (!)  the Cruise Next money to family members who chose the Future Cruise Credit rather than the refunds and have book cruises with NCL for 2021. Happy days!

On 6/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, kmc86 said:

When my March cruise was cancelled, we got the cruise fare credited as FCC to our next cruise - which was also just canceled....the cruise next certificate was not credited to our next cruise. It showed back up on our myncl account page, but it took a few weeks. It was the original $250 - no 125 % applied to that.

My FCC includes 25% of the portion paid with CruiseNext certificates.

We had a cruise booked last month using certificates that were set to expire this September.  We've rebooked basically the same cruise next May, and the certificates are back in our account.  Our PCC has said she will look into getting them extended/applied to that cruise next year but no luck as of yet.

@goldfada

When you paid for your cruise part of that payment was by a cruise next certificate.   The 125% (100% and the 25%) was applied to the WHOLE fare paid (that included the CN certificate).   You cannot expect more refund from the CN certificate, that would be double dipping.

7 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@goldfada

When you paid for your cruise part of that payment was by a cruise next certificate.   The 125% (100% and the 25%) was applied to the WHOLE fare paid (that included the CN certificate).   You cannot expect more refund from the CN certificate, that would be double dipping.

Not exactly.  The 100% is applied to the cruise fare paid, LESS the value of any CruiseNext, since that is credited back to your account.  To get 100% back would be double-dipping, since you are still getting the value of the CN in your account.  The 25% is a bonus and is applied to the full fare.

@julig22

The 100% is applied to the cruise fare paid, LESS the value of any CruiseNext, since that is credited back to your account.  

I think I would challenge NCL on that.   The Cruise Next IS part of the cruise fare paid no matter what happened to it afterwards.

11 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@julig22

The 100% is applied to the cruise fare paid, LESS the value of any CruiseNext, since that is credited back to your account.  

I think I would challenge NCL on that.   The Cruise Next IS part of the cruise fare paid no matter what happened to it afterwards.

You ARE getting 100% of your cruise fare back.  You get your CN returned, the rest as FCC.  Why would you think you should get both your CN plus additional credit for the CN amount?  Your NCL "credit" balance is for the full cruise fare, just allocated differently.

18 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@julig22

I agree.  It should not matter if you paid by bank card, cash, Cruise Next Deposit, or personal check.  The 125% should be calculated on the total amount paid, regardless of the form of payment.

As to the matter of expiration date of CNDs, as long as you apply them as payment for a reservation that you make before they expire, and you do not later cancel or modify that reservation, it does not matter when the ship sails.  For example, if you bought a CND in July 2016 and apply it today for any cruise currently on NCL's schedule, even through 2022, you're good.  If you cancel your reservation after the CND expires, however, you lose the value of the CND.  That's how it has been explained to me by several different Cruise Next Managers on several different ships.  They may change their policy in the future, but that's how it has been in the past.

2 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I agree.  It should not matter if you paid by bank card, cash, Cruise Next Deposit, or personal check.  The 125% should be calculated on the total amount paid, regardless of the form of payment.

To clarify - you are getting 100% of your cruise fare credited to your account.  A return of your CN certificates (which you bought at a discounted price) plus the remainder as FCC.  In addition, you are getting a 25% bonus, based on the full fare, regardless of payment method.  And the rules differ on how you can use the "100%" FCC and the 25% FCC.

To your comment regarding CN - to some, it could be an advantage to have those CNs, since they are transferable (and many report that NCL has extended the expiration date when asked).  AFAIK, FCC is not.

Does anyone know if they are refunding a Cruise next certificate used on a cancelled cruise into Future cruise credits?  Also if we applied 2 x $250 certificates are they reimbursing those at the 125%= $625 instead of $500?

Does anyone know do you have to BOOK by the expiration or CRUISE by the expiration of a CN?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums