Cruise Option Inquiry

gkthorn

I saw the below posted on YouTube

I'd be happy to do a five-day cruise with no ports, and a high degree of pre-sail screening

It seems to be a thought, you would think worth pondering.  Does anyone know if Princess and other possible Cruise Lines are considering this?

My wife and I live in California and would jump at the chance if the port is close.

21 minutes ago, gkthorn said:

I'd be happy to do a five-day cruise with no ports, and a high degree of pre-sail screening

It seems to be a thought, you would think worth pondering.  Does anyone know if Princess and other possible Cruise Lines are considering this?

My wife and I live in California and would jump at the chance if the port is close.

The issue I believe is that when US citizens board in a US port, they must visit a foreign port (Caribbean, Mexico or Canada usually) before returning to the US.

25 minutes ago, Madmathdad said:

The issue I believe is that when US citizens board in a US port, they must visit a foreign port (Caribbean, Mexico or Canada usually) before returning to the US.

The restrictions apply to all pax regardless of citizenship

• Like 1

Princess does have a couple of five night sailings coming up out of San Francisco, with a stop in San Diego and in Ensenada.  The Ensenada is essential to abide by the PVSA ... but, nothing says you have to get off while in port.  But, I understand your query ... you probably prefer a lesser chance of the virus coming onboard.  

I doubt if the December one will be in play, but possibly the February one??  Who knows?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Can't happen ... PVSA

Well, not really.  A "cruise to nowhere" one that sails out, doesn't port anywhere, and returns to the same port is legal under the PVSA.  But there was a court decision regarding the work visas necessary for crew working on board ships.  

Thankfully, chengkp75 explains it all much better than I can:

The PVSA was revised a few years back to allow cruises to nowhere, and they are still legal under the PVSA. What has changed is that CBP has ruled that while crew on foreign flag cruise ships that call in US ports need a crew visa (C1/D1 depending on whether they are joining/leaving in the US or not), crew on a foreign flag vessel doing cruises to nowhere would need a H1-B work visa. The H1 work visa is more difficult to obtain, costs more, and has more financial and legal responsibilities placed on the "sponsor" (cruise line). The cost for a cruise line to get these visas for a thousand crew for one or two voyages (sometimes separated by months) would not be cost effective.

7 hours ago, gkthorn said:

10 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Can't happen ... PVSA

Might be able to happen if the ship makes a foreign port service call, remains there all day, and does not allow passengers or crew to exit the ship.

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, not really.  A "cruise to nowhere" one that sails out, doesn't port anywhere, and returns to the same port is legal under the PVSA.  But there was a court decision regarding the work visas necessary for crew working on board ships.  

Thankfully, chengkp75 explains it all much better than I can:

The PVSA was revised a few years back to allow cruises to nowhere, and they are still legal under the PVSA. What has changed is that CBP has ruled that while crew on foreign flag cruise ships that call in US ports need a crew visa (C1/D1 depending on whether they are joining/leaving in the US or not), crew on a foreign flag vessel doing cruises to nowhere would need a H1-B work visa. The H1 work visa is more difficult to obtain, costs more, and has more financial and legal responsibilities placed on the "sponsor" (cruise line). The cost for a cruise line to get these visas for a thousand crew for one or two voyages (sometimes separated by months) would not be cost effective.

Thanx for clarifying ... interesting stuff

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Might be able to happen if the ship makes a foreign port service call, remains there all day, and does not allow passengers or crew to exit the ship.

"service calls" are no longer allowed.  In order to satisfy the foreign port requirement, the possibility of passengers being allowed off the ship must be there.